Have you ever looked back at a chapter you wrote, look at its quality and think "what the fucking shit is this" "which abomination wrote this"

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
I must be lucky, because this never happens to me. Sometimes I get the feeling that it's crap while I'm writing, but when I go back and read the next day, or in a week or a month or whatever, I'm always very surprised at how good it is.

How many words have you written, little grasshoppa?
Avg 4000-5000

KingRaisinXIV

I usually write 5 chapters forward, review them prep them for scheduling, and then write another group of 5.

atm my story is currently scheduled up to chapter 25, while 26-35 are currently being written and reviewed multiple times. this ensures that there will always be cohesion and multiple reviews before I post.

When I did not like a certain plot in chapter 25, I made sure to rewrite all five chapters.

Thraben

Yes, the dialogue was like that spoken by undead.
By contrast, I had a few days where I was looking back and had to say: "Damn, they speak like they're undead. How do I remember how to do that?"

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Every time. Thus, begins the editing process.

doravg

137/4001 (finally counted the stories)
I am editing an old fic currently, and it was so bad, that I figured I can use the first draft as outline.

Funny thing, while I was drafting this weekend, I was like: eff this dog pop, I will rewrite it again. But then, as I was getting ready to do just that yesterday, I read the chapter, and I was like: this is pretty good!

So, sometimes how tired you are plays a role as well.

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist African Warlord
When I look at my face in the morning, my first thought was "what the fucking shit is this" and "Which abomination made this", but then I remembered the child bride that died giving birth to me and felt I shouldn't be like that since its rude.

Reactions: AYM

AYM

‼️ dinner demons and upcoming dessert ‼️
When I look at my face in the morning, my first thought was "what the fucking shit is this" and "Which abomination made this", but then I remembered the child bride that died giving birth to me and felt I shouldn't be like that since its rude.
what

greyliliy

Moat of the time, no. I love looking at older writing and seeing how my writing has changed and developed in the past 20 years.

There are definitely moments where I am like "well, that wasn't great" but recently I remind myself it was the best I could do at the time and move forward. :D

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
Always. Like I look at the things I wrote a few years ago and I'm so confused as to how I didn't see the error. :blob_sweat: