Writing Help naming a pocket dimension

soldieroffortune813

I'm writing a fantasy setting book, and I really can't come up with a name for what the magical spaces of the world would be called by someone actually living there. Physically speaking, they're a distortion in space that magic gathers towards, with a whole "bigger on the inside" thing going on.

My brain just keeps defaulting to calling it a pocket dimension or pocket realm, but neither of those two feel like something anyone who isn't a stuffy academic would call them. What other words could I use? Do I really have to default to calling them dungeons like everyone else?

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
Fred.
Pocket Space.
Hell Space.
Distortion.
Anomaly.
Tiny Hut.

Okay, look... Nobody but a stuffy academic is going to care about a pocket dimension. Nobody else can REACH them.

Except bloodline sorcerers-
So Player Home.
Blood Realm.
Inheritance.
Family Estate.
Gap.
Hole.
Fold.
Slippedspace.
That place.
The place under the floor.
The part of my hat where the pigeons hide.

soldieroffortune813

Fred.
Pocket Space.
Hell Space.
Distortion.
Anomaly.
Tiny Hut.

Okay, look... Nobody but a stuffy academic is going to care about a pocket dimension. Nobody else can REACH them.

Except bloodline sorcerers-
So Player Home.
Blood Realm.
Inheritance.
Family Estate.
Gap.
Hole.
Fold.
Slippedspace.
That place.
The place under the floor.
The part of my hat where the pigeons hide.

You mean like a demiplane? That's what they are in D&D/Pathfinder. That's generally the magical term for a controlled, created, extra-dimensional space.

Edit: Or I guess even just "extra-dimensional space".

Hyperspace.
Hypospace.
Duodimensional.
Hyperdimensional

Dimensional Tear.
Dimensional Rip.

Or my personal favourite: The Gate.
Damn. Barely 20 minutes and you guys gave me more than I know how to use, thanks a bunch.

CheertheSecond

The second coming of CheertheDead
The Reality Fault?
The cosmic Odd?
The stranger realm.
The mystical landscape.
The mystic realm.
The exception.
The Extraversal Phenomenon
The altered verse/world
The Alteration of Reality
The Lawless zone (as in violating the physics laws)
The Other Place/ The otherside

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I'm writing a fantasy setting book, and I really can't come up with a name for what the magical spaces of the world would be called by someone actually living there. Physically speaking, they're a distortion in space that magic gathers towards, with a whole "bigger on the inside" thing going on.

My brain just keeps defaulting to calling it a pocket dimension or pocket realm, but neither of those two feel like something anyone who isn't a stuffy academic would call them. What other words could I use? Do I really have to default to calling them dungeons like everyone else?
It really depends on whose frequenting these pocket dimensions the most/which group is controlling these spaces and entrance.
Are they adventurers/mercenaries working for money with crass manners and ridiculous amount of power? Are they scholars who describe them in exactitude, only for the public to call them really simple? Are the nobles' names for these the ones that become the main description for them? What type of culture are you going for? Generic medieval, industrial, xianxian? Any of the fifty billion cultures outside of the basic stuff?
First answer those questions, and then it will be much easier to answer.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
It really depends on whose frequenting these pocket dimensions the most/which group is controlling these spaces and entrance.
Are they adventurers/mercenaries working for money with crass manners and ridiculous amount of power? Are they scholars who describe them in exactitude, only for the public to call them really simple? Are the nobles' names for these the ones that become the main description for them? What type of culture are you going for? Generic medieval, industrial, xianxian? Any of the fifty billion cultures outside of the basic stuff?
First answer those questions, and then it will be much easier to answer.
Yup, what he said. If you want an dimensional pocket that can be used to store things only, Dimensional Storage is fine.
If you want a small world, with living breathing creatures inside it producing resources (faith, material, etc), Inner World is fitting.
If it is a place where people descend to floor-like extradimensional construct, then calling it Dungeon or its variations are fine.
If the pocket dimension is an extradimensional construct made for passageway (a 4th dimensional highway), calling it the Warp, Hyperspace or its variation is good.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Yup, what he said. If you want an dimensional pocket that can be used to store things only, Dimensional Storage is fine.
If you want a small world, with living breathing creatures inside it producing resources (faith, material, etc), Inner World is fitting.
If it is a place where people descend to floor-like extradimensional construct, then calling it Dungeon or its variations are fine.
If the pocket dimension is an extradimensional construct made for passageway (a 4th dimensional highway), calling it the Warp, Hyperspace or its variation is good.
He? Accident?