How can I make my protagonist obtain their secondary power/skill?

• Thread starter Deleted member 156316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 156316

As of now, my protagonists are about to head into the underground (Suddenly Undertale??? /j) and make their way into Hell (Makai as it's called in my world)

However, I plan for one of them to gain their secondary power/skill but I'm not sure how they'd get it.

I have two ideas in mind:
1.) Another boring training montage or time skip. — Perhaps when they've reached hell (Makai), they encounter either someone important there like a Minor Demon King (Kishin/Kijin?) and they beat them in a fight. When my protagonists beat the demon king, they're impressed by my protagonists strength and requests to let them train them under the demon king's wing.

2.) Life/Death Situation. — Skills or Abilities in my series function like an RPG(?) but not quite as they function more like biological evolution mixed in with fantasy elements. (Basically, abilities are somewhat tied with emotions in my novel)
Perhaps my protagonists, in a life or death situation in a hellish landscape, gained an ability to survive the place? Either that or should it occur during a fight where they are about to lose but want desperately to win.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
does he really need it or are you just writing on top of a Isekai/shounen template?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I'm not going to give away me good ideas.

TransCatGirl

Mix the two, have a life/death situation be motivation for the training arc. Either expanding on something learnt from the situation or trying to gain a skill to counter the situation( if it recurrs).

D

Deleted member 156316

does he really need it or are you just writing on top of a Isekai/shounen template?
Not really an Isekai, although I do plan to have an Isekai-styled character somewhere in the future as a side character.

So I suppose a Shounen-styled template is accurate to say.

LesserSarcasm

As of now, my protagonists are about to head into the underground (Suddenly Undertale??? /j) and make their way into Hell (Makai as it's called in my world)

However, I plan for one of them to gain their secondary power/skill but I'm not sure how they'd get it.

1.) Another boring training montage or time skip. — Perhaps when they've reached hell (Makai), they encounter either someone important there like a Minor Demon King (Kishin/Kijin?) and they beat them in a fight. When my protagonists beat the demon king, they're impressed by my protagonists strength and requests to let them train them under the demon king's wing.

2.) Life/Death Situation. — Skills or Abilities in my series function like an RPG(?) but not quite as they function more like biological evolution mixed in with fantasy elements. (Basically, abilities are somewhat tied with emotions in my novel)
Perhaps my protagonists, in a life or death situation in a hellish landscape, gained an ability to survive the place? Either that or should it occur during a fight where they are about to lose but want desperately to win.
Why the cliche way, just have him get lost and be granted it for a price, gives you a free antagonist for later specially when the price is more damaging the longer the bargain stays in place.

D

Deleted member 156316

Why the cliche way, just have him get lost and be granted it for a price, gives you a free antagonist for later specially when the price is more damaging the longer the bargain stays in place.
What "Antagonist" would be living in the underground if I may ask? I have a couple of options such as a spider monster.
Mix the two, have a life/death situation be motivation for the training arc. Either expanding on something learnt from the situation or trying to gain a skill to counter the situation( if it recurrs).
Ah yes, that's like if Tanjiro Kamado took lessons from Muzan instead of Sakonji.

LesserSarcasm

What "Antagonist" would be living in the underground if I may ask? I have a couple of options such as a spider monster.

Ah yes, that's like if Tanjiro Kamado took lessons from Muzan instead of Sakonji.
Gods demons hermits witches, dwellers of the deep and dark, otherworldly abominations, another lost dark hero, a big pink bunny, a talking carrot your the author make something up.

Tsuru

He fell off a cliff

xD

2wordsperminute

A principled demon who only wants a good fight nearly kills the character. However, the demon sees his potential and decides to take him on as a student to help him reach that potential and make him a worthy opponent.

Notadate

Make him earn it.

Don’t do a training ark or survival.

Start with him (First I need to know the ability) awakening a minor version of it and as he ventures in Undertale? The ability will grow as he uses it.

But what is the ability and why would he get it? Having him get a minor one at first, kindle, and he needs to train and fan the flame to make it stronger. But depending on the ability changes on how he can earn or awaken it. Just spewing it out of nowhere would make it feel cheap.
-

My mc (self insert of book? Naw) sorta gets his ability, but only after he gets attacked by something, which imbeds a fragment of power into the mc. He gets wounded and the wound seeps out and kills the mc, he gets accepted and it’s his, but my plan is for him to have it grow fully. He got the power because he was able to tolerate and resist the necrotic effect it had on him, the price of the ability was pain and endurance.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
Where's that guy who always replies "Carefully"?
Who?

Make him earn it.

Like what Notadate said, make him earn it.

I am thinking of an idea of how he earns it. Wanna have a listen?

Make him earn the second ability like an achievement. Well, at least similar to an achievement. Also, make him realize his own mistake at either using abilities or his combat style.

I mean, since when do we have a self-introspective character who fixes himself with only perception and brain?

Also, about training, I'm fine with it. As long as you make it fun to read. And that's the case with life/death situations. If your readers feel how hard it is to survive, then they'll most likely enjoy the experience of reading your novel.

Also, a tip from me. Do not prioritize my opinions over the other authors. Specifically, authors that have started their journey on this website from a long time.

Me? I'm a newcomer. You can learn from anyone's advice, even from me. But, it's better to listen to the elders first before me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 156316

Make him earn it.

Start with him (First I need to know the ability) awakening a minor version of it and as he ventures in Undertale? The ability will grow as he uses it.

But what is the ability and why would he get it? Having him get a minor one at first, kindle, and he needs to train and fan the flame to make it stronger. But depending on the ability changes on how he can earn or awaken it. Just spewing it out of nowhere would make it feel cheap.
-

My mc (self insert of book? Naw) sorta gets his ability, but only after he gets attacked by something, which imbeds a fragment of power into the mc. He gets wounded and the wound seeps out and kills the mc, he gets accepted and it’s his, but my plan is for him to have it grow fully. He got the power because he was able to tolerate and resist the necrotic effect it had on him, the price of the ability was pain and endurance.
Ability is reading minds of others. Basically a basic mental/telepathic ability as the starting point.
The only difference is the two protagonists and how I currently portray them using it.

The primary protagonist is more leaning into defensive side, so a defensive or evasive version of it. (Subconscious Manipulation, I guess)

The secondary protagonist is the polar opposite of the first one. (I was thinking of Mind Control or something of the sort)

P.S EDIT: I'm not sure if Subconscious Manipulation has any offensive capabilities as all I know is that they can reach into the inner depths of one's mind and memories. Not sure how that'll be any useful aside from 'I kNoW yOuR DarKeSt sEcReT, nOw gIve uP oR I ExPoSe YoU' or something like that in a nutshell...

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
This is day I don't know what, but I still read OP's name as OfficialCorty. Like the dude's OG @Corty and the current one has been usurped by someone that does not have traffic light for eyes.
Now you unlocked a new fear for me. :blob_popcorn_two: