How do writers prevent plot holes??

Angeline2403

I wonder how do authors prevent plot holes, do they read it from the pov of readers?

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
With the power of smut, you can work around it. Maybe.

Agentt

Thighs
I wonder how do authors prevent plot holes, do they read it from the pov of readers?
We don't. We just reread our stuff to check. Some who have good friends have them proofread. But at the end, you will always have readers comment about potholes that you would have to apologise and fix at that moment.

A good way is, just keep a copy of everything to refer to

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
You'll find out once you read more chapters... Some authors add the explanation later on and some just add it in style of a flashback...

Western42

....I may be Insane....
They don't, at least not at first. I know that I either have the plot fully developed before I start writing or read my story before I make another chapter so I know where I left off at.

Noel_Elitia

i always end up making one, and then i adjust my story further in the future after a lot of thinking. Always works for me.

Echimera

Proofreaders, notes, maybe even flowcharts, all can help reduce the risk.
It doesn't always work perfectly, but I sometimes have a feeling small authors, especially on sites like SH, seem to care more about it than big authors or movie directors.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
how do authors prevent plot holes

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
they just don't happen if you know what you're doing. I can't imagine writing myself into a hole. Like how does that happen?

You literally don't remember what happened before in your own story, and you accidentally write some contradictory plot line or event?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
The bigger the story is, the more likely it is to eventually get plot holes.

Smaller stories have a much lower chance of getting them though, since you have a lot less stuff to connect.

Mostly, you should just try taking notes of the important thing, so as to not contradict it later.
they just don't happen if you know what you're doing. I can't imagine writing myself into a hole. Like how does that happen?

You literally don't remember what happened before in your own story, and you accidentally write some contradictory plot line or event?
If you spend a while without writing a given story, or if you have written said story for too long, it's normal to forget some parts, so... Well, things may end up contradicting one another as you develop the story.

Le_ther

There is different types of authors drom what I know used things to prevent plot holes and as a reader I sometimes see this cliches. Time paradox is one of the most commonly used to plot holes in which the mc future help him or do things in the background. Some uses flashbacks as a result or a side story that explains someone who isn't well explained. For rpg type or virtual type they mostly go with the common system informations. For isekais they mostly say it's because of their "knowledge" from earth.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Easiest way to avoid plot holes for me is to outline like crazy. I also create simple rules of the world that I must never break or else plot holes will form. These rules are usually super vague until a situation arrives where I need to be more specific. You really should do this if you are making a story with time travel or magic as it helps a lot.

hauntedwritings

The key is really to plan ahead, in my opinion.

Writing a story is like playing a game. There are rules for the game, which the characters need to follow. Everything is fine while the rules are followed.
But when someone cheats, they get called out for it. You know who I mean - that guy who introduces new rules halfway through the game because things aren't going well.

The first step for a game is to make the rules clear from the get go, and stick to them.