How do y'all fall about the death of the author theory?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Basically, the theory states that how the author intended for their story to be interpreted does not matter and that the reader decides the intention based on personal interpretation. Let's say, as the author, you do not want people to thirst after the evil character that has no pros whatsoever but instead of thirsting after the character you want, they go for the evil one. Another example is if you intended a scene to be sad but for some reason, everyone who reads it finds it hilarious in context. How do you feel about that as an author or reader? Is it frustrating that people don't share your intentions or are they pretty close to understanding your intentions?​

foxes

It's a very broad topic of discussion. And I think it's not just about writing stories, but about relationships between people in general. The writer has the advantage of being able to correct the text so that it reflects his idea more. Or try to continue it to change a person's wrong view. In everyday life, you can easily go from being a respectful and friendly person to being a liar and a lecher forever. And such situations are also a topic for a story.

So it's basically a life issue for anyone. Someone does not face it or misses it, not paying attention to the problem. And it is important for someone how his thoughts are looked at or evaluated. One should also be able to express them. Everything can influence here: culture, development, upbringing, preference of readers.

The situation itself can personally irritate me if it is not justified. Or if the only justification is "I know everything about you, don't lie" - it irritates me even more.

Last edited:

Corty

On Vacation, on Uranus
It is not frustrating, and I would find it funny, but it would also make me rethink why. Honestly, I would roll with it.

It would only annoy me of someone starts explaining what I meant, putting words I to my mouth as a writer. That would absolutely infuriate me.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Thinking "Y U so stupeed?"but acting like they're closest to the truth, but missed a detail of central importance that gives the scene layered meaning.

I once told my literature teacher that I don't intend to write for people more dumb than me, but teach made me take an IQ test to prove a point only for me to score 120 (130+ is genius teritory). I got better (dumber) over time, but still...

InviInvi

I guess that's the thing with artistic literature, no? The same goes when people create paintings, moreso abstract ones. Some people might be more inclined to hear what the painter was thinking when creating the piece, while others might be more imaginative and think up something else entirely. In the end, people will form situations in order to fit in line with their way of thinking. No matter how objective we try to be, humans were molded by themselves and their environment to be more subjective.

That's why I like things like open endings in media. There's no clear answer, and what happens is up for interpretation. I can also understand if people want to be told everything clearly.

SailusGebel

Personally? Not sure about it. I don't think I will ever write works with a lot of room for interpretation. As for not making readers feel certain way, in my case, it would imply I failed.

As a reader. The super meta post modernism or whatever this stuff is called ruined interpretations to me.

Jerynboe

Authorial intent does not single-handedly determine the reader’s reaction, no matter how good they are at writing. That doesn’t mean the author has to play into a popular head canon or ship, either.

Some of my favorite characters and scenes in my stories get basically zero reaction. That’s fine, I enjoyed writing them. If I want to get better at leading my readers to a conclusion, I should analyze what they seem to find appealing or unappealing and try to learn from it.

Death of the author is good for literary analysis, but like nearly everything in literary analysis you get a more complete read if you take the time to look at the thing both with and without that lens. As an author, it’s just kinda something you have to deal with.

You’ll never get hit as hard as the guy who wrote a 46k word screed about the evils of television and then get told to his face by teenagers that it’s a story all about censorship. (Fahrenheit 451)

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Basically, the theory states that how the author intended for their story to be interpreted does not matter and that the reader decides the intention based on personal interpretation. Let's say, as the author, you do not want people to thirst after the evil character that has no pros whatsoever but instead of thirsting after the character you want, they go for the evil one. Another example is if you intended a scene to be sad but for some reason, everyone who reads it finds it hilarious in context. How do you feel about that as an author or reader? Is it frustrating that people don't share your intentions or are they pretty close to understanding your intentions?​
...the spacing...

Ahem

It's a tad irritating, depending on the subject. If, say, the readers thought two brothers in my book were incestuous, homosexual lovers, I'd be very annoyed because they're projecting perversion onto my work. If they instead interpreted something harmless, like a female character deferring to a specific male character as her being in love, I wouldn't care as much because that's not weird or twisted

Last edited:

AmeronWerschrux

Honestly, as an author, it would be frustrating if your intention isn't taken into account, I believe, it should be, because you made that work, so that deserves to be included in evaluation. As much as possible, I'd like the readers to read into the lines and see what I, the author, am trying to imply. Though, in some cases, I do find it hilarious, like for example, a reader goes about theory-crafting about this or that and simply gets debunked by the author. I also like it if readers manage to point out things that an author often overlooks, sometimes, that also adds meaning.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
...the spacing...
It's due to how I set the alignment.
Honestly, as an author, it would be frustrating if your intention isn't taken into account, I believe, it should be, because you made that work, so that deserves to be included in evaluation. As much as possible, I'd like the readers to read into the lines and see what I, the author, am trying to imply. Though, in some cases, I do find it hilarious, like for example, a reader goes about theory-crafting about this or that and simply gets debunked by the author. I also like it if readers manage to point out things that an author often overlooks, sometimes, that also adds meaning.
I've had a few times where a reader has pointed out something that I had completely overlooked and it made it worth so much more emotionally.

Hopper

Intruding Person's account, yes.
I once told my literature teacher that I don't intend to write for people more dumb than me, but teach made me take an IQ test to prove a point only for me to score 120 (130+ is genius teritory). I got better (dumber) over time, but still...
Sir got humbled with full-on positive attitude

Anemic_Vampire

🌻Currently Hibernating🌹
That's why I like things like open endings in media. There's no clear answer, and what happens is up for interpretation. I can also understand if people want to be told everything clearly.
I second this part.

Also, as long as the readers aren't feeling indifferent to the writing, it means I'm somewhat succeeding at provoking emotions (or maybe they are taking pity on me.) I mean, not everyone is going to answer your question in the same way, since there are thousands of possible answers that may seem correct. Similarly, the readers may interpret the story in their own way, which doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong. Well, if they like the bad guy, then he must be at least a little likable. Even if someone laughs at a sad scene I wrote, I wouldn't mind it as long as they are happy. I would just say “how rude!” in my mind and move on to writing the next sad scene.

I'm not sure what I'm saying here, but thank you for reading all that nonsense!

Hopper

This a good topic, often being discussed everywhere.

I don't have the right to speak about this (IMO) as I haven't experienced it (I mean... I have 'a lot' of readers).

But, I might be able to provide examples.

Games with lore are just books but visualized/movies with deeper immersion and interactable. And there ain't just one curious guy looking through every single thing on the internet to find clues of a game/movie/food.
I meant this dude:

sadnews.jpg

Last edited:

beast_regards

Pointless, if not nonsensical, in the times of the Internet, especially when the webnovels are concerned.

Here, not only you could interact with the author easily, you could interact with him (or her) during the creation process, something which would be very difficult if not straight away impossible in traditional publishing (except for extreme cases). You couldn't detach the author from the work anymore. Author likely could read your complaints, even if he (or she) doesn't react to them, and it would influence the work in one way or another. This was impossible in the past, because you heard from the author only after the book has been completed, published, and then some journalist printed the interview with him in the newspaper, likely long after you read the book in question.

Hopper

Oh, and, another thing.

If you want people to follow your storyline, look at Half-Life or any other good games with great lore out there.

And then, the big picture will still hold up after summarized. Just like this:

thechad.jpg

2wordsperminute

There's a range. On the one hand, stories with lots left up to interpretation can be great, and even though the author probably has their own answers to those questions, the idea that those answers are the only correct answers would ruin potentially the best part of a story. But on the other hand, a story that is clearly intended to be a children's comedy, only advertises itself to be a children's comedy, and looks like a children's comedy, probably isn't some dark edgy story where the main characters are dead and one of the side characters is hallucinating them. Sure, that's a rather extreme example, but the same logic can be scaled down to less extreme cases. I think a story generally has an intended interpretation, and will usually be most enjoyable if you reach that intended conclusion. Again, this is not every story, I have read and enjoyed a few stories with unclear interpretations, but that's not how all stories are.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It is frustrating, but everyone has a different interpretation on everything based on how they grew up and their experiences. No matter how good of an artist/author you are, there will always be people who take it differently than you intended. That goes for everyday life, too:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Huh?

The foundation of communication is simple: It doesn't matter what I say. What matters is what you HEAR.

Let's say I say, "Booboobaroo"
You have no idea what that means.
Now, what that means is, "Remember that stupid commercial we saw like a thousand times?" And there is only one person is left alive who knows what that means.

Now, if I say, "BoobooBaroo" and I'm saying this as a way of cheering you up, and you look at me and go, "What the fuck, Eldritch?" Is it YOUR FAULT you don't cheer up? I mean, I KNOW WHAT I MEANT. You failed to understand so clearly you are to blame, right?

No.

I am to blame because I did a poor job communicating.

I am not responsible for what you take away from what I say, But I am responsible for what I give you. If I give you something you take the wrong way, mostly that's on me. Yes, your attitude is part of the equation. You could be looking for an excuse to 'read into what I say', but as the one communicating, I need to know my audience.

Now, I can say, "This is made for group A not group B. If Group B reads this and decides that what I'm saying is, 'I hate black lesbians' when all I'm saying is, 'Episode 3 of The Acolyte sucks', well, I wasn't trying to reach Group B. But if group A walks away saying, "I didn't know Bob hated Black Lesbians", then maybe I screwed up.

The "Death of the Author" only applies to the Target Audience. People outside that Audience have their own agenda and their opinions shouldn't matter. I can twist shit around to fit my goals, but I'm not the one most authors were trying to reach, now am I?

To say it's a Blanket, "THE AUTHOR IS DEAD" is the very shit that people with political agenda's use to push nonsense by corrupting other people's message. The Author is dead, to an adience that reads the story in good faith. If someone is using bad faith, then it is up to honest fans to gatekeep and tell assholes like that to go get stuffed.

Just today, I'm watching a Critical Drinker video, and someone posts, "I hate how he always says, 'THIS IS THE DEATH OF STARWARS!'" And I was like, "No. He's never declared starwars dead before. He has liked Andor. He has spoken well when part of Star Wars was good. He wants the IP to actually be good. This was the first Episode where he said, "Star Wars is Dead."

the guy replied, "He's been saying it for four years."

Now, funny thing, Did you know when you click 'like button', if you don't turn it off, that becomes public availible info? This guy hasn't had his account for more than 6 months and hasn't once clicked like on a single Video of CD. So I ask him to prove it. Show me a link.

'OH, JUST LOOK AT ANY VIDEO!" and started insulting me.

That is someone who doesn't care about the Author's intent. That is someone who wants to push an agenda and has only bad faith. Those people are ABUSING 'death of the author'. Yes, the author's message isn't what he intends, but what people hear, but there are also people who just HATE the author, so they will try to twist the message to make them look bad.

So I'd say Death of the Author is Real, but only to the target audience, and the audience needs to gatekeep assholes to stay out of the IP.