How do you do layers?

D

Deleted member 46002

I'm trying to figure out how to do layers but I can't seem to get it. I just don't understand how the layers work. Can anyone explain it to?
Okay, so you usually use layers to separate rough sketches, sketches, line art, base colors, shading, lighting. (You will learn it as time passes)
Higher layers will always be on top.
for ex:
(the sketch is above color, so it gives priority to the lines)

if I drag the color layer up, it will look like this

One of the most useful things is the clip layer, which you need to place above your wanted layer.
For example, you have this blob and you want another color to stay in that area.

(we add a clip layer, which is marked with peachy color on the left side)

If you don't have a clip layer, it will look like this:

I can explain more things that you do not understand, however, I need to know exactly what you want to learn about them. (Bcs I am guessing it right now)

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I'm trying to figure out how to do layers but I can't seem to get it. I just don't understand how the layers work. Can anyone explain it to?
What software are you using first? How you make layers and what layers/masks can do varies by software.

But in general, layers are just a form of non-destructive drawing. If you draw one line, and another line on top of it in MS Paint which has only 1 layer. You destroy the point they intersect. With multiple layers, you can keep both and edit both without harming the other one.

So generally you would first sketch out a basic stick figure like sketch of your character and scene. Then you would make the 1st layer less opacity and add an extra layer on top where you would draw the outline of your character. Then another layer for details, another layer for color and another layer for shading.

In this way, all things can be kept separate and edited at any time without harming the other.

Now more advanced art software will go a step further and add other layer features such as grouping. So you can draw the head on 1 layer, the body on another, the arms on another and put them all together in 1 group. Thus your workspace isn't as cluttered.

Then there are other layer features like blend modes, these control how layers interact with those below them.

Lastly there are things like Masks which add extra features to the layers such as clipping, filters, transforms, and colorization. With a colorize mask for example, all you have to do is touch something with a paint brush of a color, and it will color it in for you.

For example, the right is just the paint strokes and the left is the end result of the software coloring in for you with a colorize mask.

Now of course there is no reason to jump the gun with all these features. Start with the basics first.

D

Deleted member 54065

In my technique, I use layers to separate my colors, just in case I need them in future corrections. My lineart is done traditionally, using technical pens for inking, and a scanner for paper to digital transfers.

1643886006357.png

If you look at my bottom right corner, you'll see how I do my layers. Since this is a cover that I worked on, the layers are divided into 'Text', 'Image' and 'Background'. In most of my illustrations, the only ones that are important are the 'Image' and 'Background'.

1643886099308.png

In my Image Folder, I organized my layers into 'Effects', 'Highlights', 'Shadows' and 'Colors'. I think the first three are self-explanatory, but the last one, 'Colors' is where I put my image's base colors.

1643886180952.png

The Color Folder is further organized into three (usual): Accessory, Clothing, and Body. Accessory is where the parts of the image that can't be categorized in Clothing, such as ribbons, swords, guns, books, etc. Clothing is organized into the clothing articles that appear on the illustration, such as pants, skirts, socks, shoes, blouses, hats, etc. Finally, Body is where the colors of skin, eyes, hair, lips and others appearing.

1643886398782.png

In my Shadows Folder, this is where I put the darker colors of the base ones. The only layer that is important in there is the Grey Shadows layer, where I put the Grey Shadows for blending with other darker colors.

1643886486196.png

For Highlights, only one or two Highlight Folders (depending on the color I wanted to have highlights), and a White Highlight layer, usually reserved for White shimmers found throughout my work.

If you notice, there's the Outline Layer above the Highlight, Shadows, Color layers. This is where I put my scanned lineart, locked so that I won't accidentally make changes to it.

1643886668540.png

And then we have the Effects Layer. This is where the 'magic' of the illustration comes from. Here I put the effects that I wanted to appear in my work.

My background has layers depending on the needs of the illustration. But most likely, only the White Background Layer won't be removed.

Some other important notes when using layers:

Blending Options--this is one of your bestfriends, aside from the masks. Some of the important ones that I use are:

1) Multiply -- it would make the color or image pass through the layer. If a 'Multiply' layer is at the top, the colors under it would appear. Pretty useful when you're applying shadows in your work.
2) Screen -- a light color, when applied to a 'Screen' layer, would make it 'lighten up'. Used in applying highlights.
3) Soft Light -- I generally use this to apply the 'ambient' color for the work.

In any case, much have been said by the previous replies about the layers. I hope this reply would help you on blending those layers and create a better artwork!

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
It’s easy. Figure it out, I do pixel gosh damnit. But it’s pretty easy, depending on the software, you can choose layers. Usually there’s a few stages, best is make the model, then ruff sketch, fixed up ruff sketch, fix up more, then done make finish produc.
Then fix again

Uselessdead23

How I do my layers;

1. Rough sketch.
2. Cleaner sketch. (Idk but i tend to forget to do them on a different layer so these 2 are in the same layer) (don't copy me QAQ)
3. If u do lineart then create another layer for the lineart. Then clip a clip layer for the lineart to change about the colors of it (skin)
4. Base color layer below this sketch/lineart
5. Shadows/highlight layer.
Kind of neatly render them, and then combine all them, or if u don't like that, add another layer on top of it all and that 6. will be for final rendering.

More layers in between for details, such as the render in the eyes, if u want to add more shadows add a multiply layer on top, color dodge... There's many step depending on your taste, but it mostly goes like this for pretty much everyone, it just depends on the process, but yeah, sketch, lineart, or no lineart and straight up color.

CabbagePreacher

I usually just have a layer for sketching the basics, then a layer for the outline and finally a layer for lighting, shadows and color. This is how something I do looks like:

I'm just an amateur, so I don't really delve anything complicated, but I think it works out for most drawings.

So:
- Rough Sketch Layer
-- Layer for outline
--- Layer for color (if there's color)
---- Layer for shadows and lighting (or shading if there's no color)