How do you get over the sadness as an Author?

as much as I like writing, it's also the hobby that gives me the most sadness.

when that happens, i probably will just complain to my imaginary friends and waifus in bed, and hope i can have a good dream.

or if i'm in bad mood enough, i will just quit writing for a while. some time ago i stopped posting my stories for a year, since i need a good rest.

i wonder if you guys have your own ways to cope with it?

Knowing that my words will change someone's life.

i'm not sure if i will ever know, since people barely comment

even if they like to comment previously, they all end up leaving, even if i'm just doing my own thing at the start.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
I mean, I love writing - whether or not it's for my own sake or for the sake of others. I originally started posting here because I'd decided that, regardless of how smarmy or superfluous my writing style usually is, having one reader is better than having none. Usually, watching the favourites I receive helps to keep me going. When people favourite a chapter, it's an indication that someone likes what you're putting out - even if it's only one person, you've still made someone happy enough with your writing to get that favourite.

Of course, some people may value different things - like comments and such, but whatever it is, even one comment means that someone was interested enough with your writing to engage with it, and I think that's pretty awesome.

I mean, I love writing - whether or not it's for my own sake or for the sake of others. I originally started posting here because I'd decided that, regardless of how smarmy or superfluous my writing style usually is, having one reader is better than having none. Usually, watching the favourites I receive helps to keep me going. When people favourite a chapter, it's an indication that someone likes what you're putting out - even if it's only one person, you've still made someone happy enough with your writing to get that favourite.

Of course, some people may value different things - like comments and such, but whatever it is, even one comment means that someone was interested enough with your writing to engage with it, and I think that's pretty awesome.

yeah, i guess i should appreciate what i currently have :D

C.Sunlight

If you're sad, then don't do author-ie things for a while. Go outside (well, when it's possible), play a video game, waste your life away with cat videos... The key is not letting yourself get hung up on it for too long.
(Easier said than done, true, but not impossible)

I constantly deal with little bits of anxiety that my writing isn't good enough, or that I'm not doing the characters right, whatever it is I choose to obsess with at the time. That's where my author sadness comes in. It's hard to accept that your writing will never be perfect because there is no perfect piece of writing, but it helps a little to remember.

So yeah, take a break and it shouldn't get overwhelming. Deep breaths and all that.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i just boot up MW and have fun with my broskis or listen to my favourite albums

Generik0

Just Play Doom

Just play animal crossing to ease your mind with furry cuteness

Ease your mind and play Stardew Valley with its calming soundtrack

take some time off and do whatever you want that makes you happy aside from writing

Think about the cause of sadness. How it changes you and what will be the outcome if you kept being sad. If that outcome is bad then try to change yourself at that moment. Think about the happiness you can attain and strive to achieve by overcoming the sadness dwelling within you(That is how I cope if I'm in the mood)

Last edited:

EShadow000

Spam your chapters, the new readers will make you happy.
However, the extended solution would be to think of things important to you before you start to write.
Like how a small man in a hut used to think about how awesome what he read was, and how he would like to make it.
And the permanent solution is to love it. You don't hate what you love. Don't begrudgingly accept it is in life so you just accept it. You need to learn to love it. Love yourself however.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just Play Doom

Just play animal crossing to ease your mind with furry cuteness

Ease your mind and play Stardew Valley with its calming soundtrack

take some time off and do whatever you want that makes you happy aside from writing

Think about the cause of sadness. How it changes you and what will be the outcome if you kept being sad. If that outcome is bad then try to change yourself at that moment. Think about the happiness you can attain and strive to achieve by overcoming the sadness dwelling within you(That is how I cope if I'm in the mood)
beat the shit out of sadness

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
looks at my username.
I do some unspeakable things that should better be left unsaid.
More importantly, between college and writing, I sometimes find myself cringing over everything I wrote.
Then, I just visit my old chapters to see how much I have improved, reread those comments from the readers that bothered enough to favorite. Blowing some heads in those bloody FPS games works too.

Last edited:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
It depends how it's causing my sadness.

If it just didn't get the response I was hoping for, I'll take a little time away from it and then come back to consider how I maybe failed to communicate what I wanted with it and how I could have improved.

There's always the option to rewrite and try again if I really want, but it's usually more fruitful to just keep writing and incorporate my lessons into my next work.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
i'm not sure if i will ever know, since people barely comment

even if they like to comment previously, they all end up leaving, even if i'm just doing my own thing at the start.
People who need help the most and are changed the most by your story rarely comment. To many people, reading online stories instead of physical books is a guilty pleasure. They are afraid to admit that they are reading your work, but it matters to them all the same. You'll know they are there from the view statistics.