Writing HOW DO YOU PEOPLE WRITE YOUR STORY?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Also read my novel for inspiration. You'll be glad you did.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well thanks to this post, I now just wrote two sentences in my own work.

The trick is motivation I guess, like my motivation to do my job as a design engineer and complete my KPI so that I don't get another shitty appraisal and the worst pay increment (2%).

And maybe don't be like this guy. He sounds sad.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Idk man, I wanna know how I write too. Sometimes I'm confused, how can I write this well one day but then can't write anything for an entire week

BlackKnightX

Well, ye. Like how do you guys write your story is there a specific guideline for it? If so, please give me some tips REEEE
Just tell a story. Tell it as if you’re telling your best friend a story around a campfire. Ignore advice. Write what you wanna read.

Toripuru-S

Well, ye. Like how do you guys write your story is there a specific guideline for it? If so, please give me some tips REEEE
I come up with an idea, envision a beginning, envision an ending then just go for it :blobrofl:. I'll do some other light planning beyond that, but I have a willingness to just wing it and follow the characters/plot at whatever pace feels natural. If I can't imagine an ending, then that story idea gets put on hold (or scrapped :censored:).

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
Okay, so what I do is when I have an idea for a story, I write it down and eventually I form a plot and plan out the sequence of events. Hope this helps!

K_Jira

I usually started with what kind of MC do I want to write about. From there, I thought of some scenes I want to see the MC in and decided on the world setting. After that, well…I just wing it. In the end, I'm mostly writing the stories I want to read and hoping that someone can enjoy them too 🙃

i just chill and go along with my life until i feel like writing something.

after that, i think i'll just be lazy about it.

it actually helps to get something done i guess.

Jemini

In my case, I take a concept for a story, and then I sit on it for a while. If it's a good concept, I will be absolutely unable to get it out of my head, and my mind will keep drifting back to it. Every time I think about the subject, my mind will fill in more details and scenarios in the story.

After I have rolled the concept over several times in my mind, I will start writing things down. Normally, I just start writing. If I am dealing with something more complicated though for my story concept, I might do some outlining.

TheOneWho

I think of what happens in the world, and how the characters would react to it. I don't plan everything, just the big events. Like playing Dnd, the big events are planed, but how the character react depends of them.

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
In my case, I take a concept for a story, and then I sit on it for a while. If it's a good concept, I will be absolutely unable to get it out of my head, and my mind will keep drifting back to it. Every time I think about the subject, my mind will fill in more details and scenarios in the story.

After I have rolled the concept over several times in my mind, I will start writing things down. Normally, I just start writing. If I am dealing with something more complicated though for my story concept, I might do some outlining.
That's how it goes for me as well :blob_cookie:
It's like this fantasy world that won't stop growing, and then I have to write it after years of it living rent free in my head.

Jemini

That's how it goes for me as well :blob_cookie:
It's like this fantasy world that won't stop growing, and then I have to write it after years of it living rent free in my head.
Years? The only way a concept will ever last that long for me before I write it down is if I'm just too busy in the middle of another writing project.

(I've got this great idea for a British-style isekai parody designed to read like it was written by the cast of Monty Python, and I also have ideas for a Mushoku Tensei fan sequel. (And yes, I have read all the relevant source material to the very end, including all the after-stories.) Those both are going to have to wait until I knock out a few of my already in-progress stories though. I just don't have time to write them. (And I might want to wait until after the anime adapts "turning point 4" before I write it, otherwise I might wind up spoiling the single biggest twist in the entire series for several poor unsuspecting readers who only know the series from the anime.))

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
Years? The only way a concept will ever last that long for me before I write it down is if I'm just too busy in the middle of another writing project.
It starts with a random thought, nothing big, nothing suspicious. Gradually, one concept piles over another, a few characters show up, and the world practically builds itself. Then one day, it's begging to be written.
Now, you have the responsibility to put everything into a coherent storyline and to use your words to explain what you have in your mind palace... A truly challenging mission.

And you realize it all started with that innocent 'what if?' idea you had years ago. :blob_hmm_two:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I write mostly at night time because for some reason I am not as creative in the morning as I am in the night.

But there is one thing important for me. Music that is fitting the atmosphere.

I like to first animate the scenes in my mind then pour these scenes into words, and music helps a lot.

But I won't just imagine scenes when I am writing. I have a problem focusing on things, and I usually dream about the universe I created than I live in (it is not healthy thou.)

skillet

a frying pan
Lots of answers already so not sure if you still need another opinion, but I'd like to say that most of us probably got to where we are through trial and error, emphasis on the error lol.

Everyone has a different style that works for them, and I think it's best if you try stuff out and see which one sticks! I've winged some stories before, planned others out meticulously, and both times it either worked out wonderfully or it flopped completely. (My giant file full of started and incomplete works, plans that have never took flight, will attest to this, haha.) Now I sort of work with both of them as I go because I sort of know which parts I am best at winging and which parts should be planned out better. Whatever you do-- even if you fail-- becomes good practice that you can apply later on in your next attempts, and I think that's probably one of the most important part of any process, not just writing.

Also, another good practice: if something is holding you back from trying, start analyzing yourself to ask why, then start from there. Is it fear? Why do you fear whatever it is that you fear? Is there a way you can write that will not touch upon this fear yet, at least? Lack of time? What is stealing away your time? Is it something you can live without? If so, how can you get yourself more time? Lack of energy? Same thing. Lack of ideas? Where might you get some ideas? What interests you? What would interest you enough to write about it? So on and so forth. Little bit of psychoanalyzing lolol

all in all, good luck! if I could do it, you probably can too. :blobtaco:

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
I discover what I want my story to be about and when I have to decide the actions of the MC I ask myself: what would I do?
This usually leads to a big hole in the protagonist. It resembles my sanity perfectly.