How do you write when you fall into the depression of you character?

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
When you spill the emotions of your character onto yourself, do you ever find it hard to write? Interpret the emotion any way you wish, mine specifically is of my character's depression.
If you ever fall into your character's depression, that's a sign that they have relatability. And I always use that as my motivation to keep on writing out that character.

D

Deleted member 45782

If you ever fall into your character's depression, that's a sign that they have relatability. And I always use that as my motivation to keep on writing out that character.
Oof. Never thought of it that way. Noted that means character and author relatability somewhere deep under the surface.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I find that my emotions fuel the characters. My latest releases were drafted in anger. I was much calmer while editing. I hope I didn't tone it down too much.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
You are not your character, i would keep it as simple as that.

But, if it's too hard. Then you can write other character to do the bidding.

Like, you are basically a god in your story. And the whim of god can cause butterfly effects and make other characters pull your protagonist or other main character out of their depression hole.

Yeah, if you are highly emphetatic person. And the current pov of you protagonist is so unstable and makes it harder for you to write. You could do this.

Just shift the pov to other characters.

I hope this help.
I did this unintentionally before, and I believe it helped. Thank you :D

Aoi_Sora

I just re-read Emergence/Metamorphosis... and thought. There are other characters out there that have terrible fates than my character so I just carry on.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
When you spill the emotions of your character onto yourself, do you ever find it hard to write? Interpret the emotion any way you wish, mine specifically is of my character's depression.
I cry if I'm writing an emotional scene. To be honest, if I don't cry while I'm writing an emotional part of the story then I'm doing something wrong. As my story is primarily about connecting with the characters, it's my duty to feel what they feel.

Varstark

Disengage and try to pinpoint what got me too involved, because at that point it's no fun. I'm not trying to write a diary about my fantasies; I'm trying to write a story about my fantasies, and that requires a certain amount of third persion viewing of myself.

Listening to music often helps me shift gears and get back into the mood. Or looking at some good artwork.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
You sound like you've been through something.
nah it's not that.
I don't have the problem about life being meaningless or shit.
I too enjoy life. Infact i enjoy life so much that i get sad over the fact that i have to work and then I will age and die.
It's like yeah life is fun damm i don't want to study this bullshit i just want to live and write. Why do i have to study this bullshit.
Also i get sad that i have bad memory.

Also the fact that literally no one IRL here talks about this stuff or even cares. So it would be pretty sad going through life without having atleast a few conversations about philosophy .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 52382

nah it's not that.
I don't have the problem about life being meaningless or shit.
I too enjoy life. Infact i enjoy life so much that i get sad over the fact that i have to work and then I will age and die.
It's like yeah life is fun damm i don't want to study this bullshit i just want to live and write. Why do i have to study this bullshit.
Also i get sad that i have bad memory.

Also the fact that literally no one IRL here talks about this stuff or even cares. So it would be pretty sad going through life without having atleast a few conversations about philosophy .

someguysomeone

ok you got me.
My sadness is related to the fact that i have been born in india. There is bullshit competitive exam and actually thinking or learning proofs and trying to understand shit is worthless.

Infact highschool grades and exams for university are completely different. If you try and fail university exam then you get nothing and you also weren't able to prepare for highschool.
If you prepare for highschool then good marks would only get you a partialy soul eating job.

Time is running out. My effort has not yielded fruit. Idiots at highschool a lack of friends which have same hobbies as me. Not being actually able to talk about hobbies cause it would look weird and more importantly cause i don't have time for social interaction (the pain of being born in asia and trying for exams)
and of course the sadness over the fact that i would never be able to disprove or prove synchronicity. and indeed i lived through something(very mild) for that extra sweet and juicy angst.

Like they say when you are born in asia your biggest accomplishment is to escape asia.
So i am not actually enjoying the life.

BUT it would only take one shot of art of not giving a fuck to bring joy in life. Now the problem with that is that it would cause pain later in life.
Well effort might not be useful anyway and there might be alot of pain later anyway.
So
listen to this song.
someone teleport me out of india . I want Sweden.
of course atleast i am not poor or in indeonesia or other parts of asia which are even worse.
In the words of great philospher whose name i can't give enough fucks to remember.

"Life oscillates between pain and procrastination"

Ok that's not accurate. Sometimes it's pain of not getting improvement AND procrastination for that added extra angst.
Edit currently it is that.

Really bro i need friends with similar hobbies .
ok that also won't be accurate. No i osilate between tree things. Stupidity procrastination and pain. sometimes there is happiness.
The problem is the feeling that i am not following the most efficient strategy which i can think of .

Attachments

• me.png
    me.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 52382

ok you got me.
My sadness is related to the fact that i have been born in india. There is bullshit competitive exam and actually thinking or learning proofs and trying to understand shit is worthless.

Infact highschool grades and exams for university are completely different. If you try and fail university exam then you get nothing and you also weren't able to prepare for highschool.
If you prepare for highschool then good marks would only get you a partialy soul eating job.

Time is running out. My effort has not yielded fruit. Idiots at highschool a lack of friends which have same hobbies as me. Not being actually able to talk about hobbies cause it would look weird and more importantly cause i don't have time for social interaction (the pain of being born in asia and trying for exams)
and of course the sadness over the fact that i would never be able to disprove or prove synchronicity. and indeed i lived through something(very mild) for that extra sweet and juicy angst.

Like they say when you are born in asia your biggest accomplishment is to escape asia.
So i am not actually enjoying the life.

BUT it would only take one shot of art of not giving a fuck to bring joy in life. Now the problem with that is that it would cause pain later in life.
Well effort might not be useful anyway and there might be alot of pain later anyway.
So
listen to this song.
of course atleast i am not poor or in indeonesia or other parts of asia which are even worse.
In the words of great philospher whose name i can't give enough fucks to remember.

"Life oscillates between pain and procrastination"

Ok that's not accurate. Sometimes it's pain of not getting improvement AND procrastination for that added extra angst.
Edit currently it is that.

Really bro i need friends with similar hobbies .
ok that also won't be accurate. No i osilate between tree things. Stupidity procrastination and pain. sometimes there is happiness.
The problem is the feeling that i am not following the most efficient strategy which i can think of .

Chasing after money/jobs/ happiness is an endless loop that will devour your life. Success will not be enough. Nothing will ever be enough. You will forever remain an orphan of the endless pain you have lived through to attain what others were born with. An excruciating bitterness will, eventually, overwhelm you as you age. Therefore, you have to give up and accept.

Accept. And I'm always there if you need to talk, or need friends. Sorry for my terrible English.

someguysomeone

Chasing after money/jobs/ happiness is an endless loop that will devour your life. Success will not be enough. Nothing will ever be enough. You will forever remain an orphan of the endless pain you have lived through to attain what others were born with. An excruciating bitterness will, eventually, overwhelm you as you age. Therefore, you have to give up and accept.

Accept. And I'm always there if you need to talk, or need friends. Sorry for my terrible English.
bro it's not success. I don't give a fuck about that. I care about not working 8 hours a day as a underpaid teacher. I look at my math teacher and then look away at horror.
There is also the fact that you won't have people to talk philosophy to .

D

Deleted member 52382

bro it's not success. I don't give a fuck about that. I care about not working 8 hours a day as a underpaid teacher. I look at my math teacher and then look away at horror.
There is also the fact that you won't have people to talk philosophy to .
Time draws out like a blade.

D

Deleted member 52382

another day. Same shit. one step closer to oblivion.
chuckles
a man can't help but be lost in his own mind.
if this were a anime something life changing or surprising would occur.
but it's reality
reality is the thing which doesn't go away when you wish it would- some guy from tv tropes
Why even bother when all happens according to routine?

D

Deleted member 53101

As they say, the grass is greener on the other side. I admitted that my country's education system is not that mature. But at least, get the name right, just ... sigh, I'll take it you're not talking about my country then.