How Does it Feel?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
How does it feel knowing that your OC's are known to people? Albeit a select few people but still, how does it feel knowing that some people actually care about your OC's? That they may make head canon about in their spare time? That they look forward to reading more about these characters that you've created? Does it feel good? Do you think to yourself that maybe you shouldn't make those OC's suffer because someone else cares for them? Or are you like me, doing everything in your power to crank the suffering and depression to the max before shoving them into a meth pipe of a situation where they will surely suffer more? Do you like it? Are you happy?

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
a very confusing sort of godhood indeed. these little bimblos that i came up with, and people actually invest into them! I make the little guys dance for me, and people people watch them go through every hoop I set for them.

That’s how it started. I had a character in my head whom I really liked. Then I created a story about her (two, actually), and my friend ended up loving the characters too. The fact that even a single person enjoyed my creation to the point of remembering the tiny details I put into my work is what kept me going.

Also, angst spices things up, so why not?

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Knowing that someone likes my little gremlins is a warm and fuzzy feeling but it does not change my opinion about whether to ramp the suffering up to eleven. Of course, I have deliberately written side stories of some of my popular characters ending up in misery, suffering horribly or just plain old dying. I've even written an AU where half of a couple dies because of the actions of the other and comes back as the embodiment of despair to torment them for all eternity. Good times.

Of course, I haven't inspired any direct fanfiction yet, just theme inspiration so far.

J_Chemist

Are you happy?
No.

While I do enjoy knowing that people like my story, it feels very... surface level. It's difficult to explain but the feeling is very detached. I like knowing other people are willing to read my story and it excites me to write for them, to continue the story, to put in effort.

However, the feedback is so minimal in terms of the registration in my head that I just don't ever feel like it's reality. I don't ever get the sense that people truly enjoy my story nor do I ever get the sensation that the chapters I put out are fun to read. It might be due to the lack of reviews, the low ratings I get every so often, and those pesky Follower/Favorite statistics showing me every time someone removes my book from their list, but I'm not entirely sure. I still consider my book pretty shitty and don't exactly know how it stacks up against other books so it's hard to gauge/understand how I'm doing. I think that's where the biggest pitfall for me is, really.

In the sea of thousands of people's creativity, it just feels like my book is another random pebble in the pile.

At this point, I do it with the hope that at least someone out there likes it.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
How does it feel knowing that your OC's are known to people? Albeit a select few people but still, how does it feel knowing that some people actually care about your OC's? That they may make head canon about in their spare time? That they look forward to reading more about these characters that you've created? Does it feel good? Do you think to yourself that maybe you shouldn't make those OC's suffer because someone else cares for them? Or are you like me, doing everything in your power to crank the suffering and depression to the max before shoving them into a meth pipe of a situation where they will surely suffer more? Do you like it? Are you happy?
Ye

NOTkaosin21

i be gigglin and shi

greyliliy

I still consider my book pretty shitty and don't exactly know how it stacks up against other books so it's hard to gauge/understand how I'm doing. I think that's where the biggest pitfall for me is, really.
Imposter syndrome sucks. I took a glance at your works and "shitty" didn't come to mind. You have a solid writing style and it is much better than many books I've see here.

Writing Quality & success aren't always linked when it comes to popularity. Have some faith in yourself!

In the sea of thousands of people's creativity, it just feels like my book is another random pebble in the pile.

At this point, I do it with the hope that at least someone out there likes it.
Your books have readers, so someone absolutely does! Be a beloved pebble.

Jerynboe

I write for myself, to make something I enjoy writing, and post it on the off chance someone will enjoy it. The fact that anyone does is surreal to me. Comments, even negative comments, are proof that someone cared enough to say something. Readers even talked me into reposting on multiple sites. How did this happen to my self indulgent word vomit? Why is anyone reading this? Good thing I’m still having fun.