How does writers block manifest for you?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Writing is fun for me, yet whenever I try to write something I get a couple of pages in, and then freeze. I try to continue the story, but can only get few sentences a day, before I have to do something else, which is probably spending time improving on the first couple of pages, until I can’t anymore. After that, if I haven’t already, I start gradually plotting out the story scene by scene, before I go back and add another sentence or two. After I finish plotting, then I start rewriting the first couple of pages to fit more inline for my plans and, if I haven’t already, start creating a pseudo encyclopedia for the various characters, creatures, organizations, locations, etc. Then I write a paragraph or two, before I come up with a new story idea and repeating this process for another story. All the while, I will tell myself I need to improve my writing before I can continue the old story when I try to go back and write it.

So then, how does writers block manifest for you? How do you deal or try to deal with it?

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Months of barely even trying to write, and when I do, usually only a paragraph or two getting added. And that's despite the fact that I daydream constantly and maybe half of it is to do with my own stuff.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It sucks on my nipples and grabs pencils out of my hands. I'm trying to teach it to read so it will give me some space.

Asthael

Writers block, art block. I've had it all. Either nothing new is coming from my brain or I hate every idea I do come up with.

One way I found that works but I don't recommend is buying new tools for the craft that got blocked. New pen or notebook for writing. A new brush or paper or paint for art. It makes me want to use and experiment and thus break the block. Gets expensive though. Alternative is to just try something you never did before. Go somewhere new (physically is best but internet is fine), watch something new, just shake things up.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Writing is fun for me, yet whenever I try to write something I get a couple of pages in, and then freeze. I try to continue the story, but can only get few sentences a day, before I have to do something else, which is probably spending time improving on the first couple of pages, until I can’t anymore. After that, if I haven’t already, I start gradually plotting out the story scene by scene, before I go back and add another sentence or two. After I finish plotting, then I start rewriting the first couple of pages to fit more inline for my plans and, if I haven’t already, start creating a pseudo encyclopedia for the various characters, creatures, organizations, locations, etc. Then I write a paragraph or two, before I come up with a new story idea and repeating this process for another story. All the while, I will tell myself I need to improve my writing before I can continue the old story when I try to go back and write it.

So then, how does writers block manifest for you? How do you deal or try to deal with it?
I have to be very energetic to prevent writers block from happening, otherwise I become too dull to immerse myself in the creation of a colorful story. So either 12 hours of sleep or 8-10 hours of sleep prior and a bunch of coffee. In addition, I have to be energetically depressed, not emotionally drained depressed. And I can't be sick or have allergies.
Writers block always starts with the beginning of creativity, where I see the beginning of flow state, and then it fizzles out. It drains away because the plug of energy is removed. Any inspiration, from music to art, just goes down the gutter because I am just. Too. Tired.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
simply can't write even a word

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
I can't write when I've discovered every aspects of the world I write. Writing is my way of creating a world, it makes me wanting to explore it, and with everything explored in my mind, I can't even write a word.

So to make myself continuing to write, I intentionally gaslight myself and block my mind from certain topics. It isn't very healthy, but it works.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
can't focus, like trying to squeeze water out of a brick to get even one word written or I hate everything that's being written

Scaver

Recently I realized I've been having post-chapter depression of sorts. Like yk after you finish a chapter?
At that point, until i just force myself to continue writing I won't really feel like writing for a long time.
SO just gotta discipline myself at that time.

D

Deleted member 54065

Lately, my writing suffered because of mental block, mostly brought by burn out. It manifested by hating everything I wrote in my 17th book, and up till now I'm having my insecurities about that volume.

Oddly enough, my beta readers say it's good. Still, I'm having my doubts.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
It lurks in the places where nature has forgotten the touch of sunlight. It waits until I let my guard down whereupon it kills itself. After its accursed existence arrives in whatever Hellworld afterlife it was destined for, it then topples whatever entity rules there. From a throne of skulls it rules all and commands its surfs to labor and gather the materials needed to lash together a FEAR ENGINE made of bone, blood, and pain. It then uses that to bore a hole back into this world.

The first sign that my writer's block is manifesting is when the sun is blotted out by a giant sphere of hate-filled darkness from which bursts forth a thousand starving crows. For thousands of miles, all are driven mad as it pries its way through the resulting wound in the skin of reality. With tears of bubbling pitch streaming down its face, it opens three of its seven mouths and then sings the song that destroys the world.

doravg

137/4001 (finally counted the stories)
You need our lord and savior: Cycling.

You are doing something similar already, but what you can improve on is, that you cycle every 500 words. What I do is, write 500 words, go to the beginning of the chapter, set up these 500 words, then read through the first 500 words, write the 500 words more and then if I am in the flow, write some more, until I hit the right chapter ending. Or, if I am not in the flow, I cycle back to the beginning, and improve it. That can mean adding 500 more words, but also cutting words. Then I read through what I have, and normally by that point I have the ending of the chapter in sight.

Also, it would be good for you to outline as you go. Sometimes you can write something that is not in your outline. Instead of cutting it out, work with it, and add it to your outline. That said, I am a pantser, so I don't plot at all. I just get ideas during the day, which I use in the writing of the chapter later. I do outline as I go, though. Makes remembering details easier.

Happy writing!

J_Chemist

Happens when my depression hits me, usually.

Which is often but I force myself to write and that usually helps.

Lostinthecause

I also had this problem: I opened a new chapter but didn't know what to write, and then I procrastinated a bit. But now I can focus much more thanks to the dedication, I have created several stories, but dumped them for various reasons, but now I'm only focusing on one, Echoes of Desolation. Though sometimes I'm too tired of trying to slice of life, I get bored of it, and write something he said, she said, with a nod. LOl. Rest is better.