Writing How Frequent Do You Need To Update?

In your opinion, what's the best update frequency?

• Total voters

Bloodbath_Voracity

Most of us write for fun but as a fellow reader as well, if I liked the story, I'd like to be able to read the next chapter immediately; especially if the last chapter was a cliffhanger. But it's also hard to keep writing especially if you ran out of juice. (Even if you have saved up chapters, if you can't write any further, those could very soon disappear)

So on that note... How frequent should an author update their novel/s?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I wrote every day but after doing so I would recommend a 1000-1500 word chapter at least twice a week. Three times a week is preferred though.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Most of us write for fun but as a fellow reader as well, if I liked the story, I'd like to be able to read the next chapter immediately; especially if the last chapter was a cliffhanger. But it's also hard to keep writing especially if you ran out of juice. (Even if you have saved up chapters, if you can't write any further, those could very soon disappear)

So on that note... How frequent should an author update their novel/s?
depends on the series. More intensive stuff can be weekly, easy stuff can be daily

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Mostly four to five times a week, three if I'm busy.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Once every 2 days for wholesome stuff is good enough in my opinion

Pyrrhic

Really depends on how long a chapter is and how much the plot advances. Shorter chapters that are mostly fluff or require multiple chapters to advance the plot should have more frequent updates. Longer chapters that advance the plot can be up to once a week, though any longer will tend to detrimental to how much support the story gets. Also keep in mind most readers would perfer a slower but higher quality work, and can tell when your pushing too hard to make your schedule. In short, find what works for your writing style and capabilities

Domoviye

Depends on the story and the writer.
I find that once a week seems to go well with my stories. Keeps me from burning out or feeling rushed to publish a chapter that isn't ready, while being frequent enough for most people.
While quicker updates can get more attention, I find quality is better than quantity, and for me personally, once a week is a good middle ground for both.

LilRora

Mostly formless
It really depends on many things, and there is no clear answer to that question. My personal opinion is that if you are writing a lighthearted story, you should publish 4-7 chapters a week, 1-1,5k words each, or if you're writing something more plot heavy, it should be 2-3 chapters a week, ~3k words each.

The general rule I try to adhere to is to publish ~7k words per week, no matter how long each chapter is. This number can be hard to achieve in practice though.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Do what works for you. We all have different things going on in our lives.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Posting once a week is a luxury for me. I just post whenever I can, whether that be once in a month or once a week or whenever.

Yati

As a reader... With chapters of 1500 or more, weekly is the minimum. Otherwise, I start to forget characters and names and I found that I usually stop reading when that starts to happen. I read so many stories that some form of continuity is important.

It's why, as a writer, I do not start publishing before I finish a volume so that I can guarantee continuity, and people that do not want to wait and just want to binge, can always buy the complete volume in my shop.