How long does it take you to write a chapter?

Civilian

I procrastinate a lot so I forced myself to release a chapter every other day (Having a sense of responsibility towards people really helps with it). So I'd say one hour at least and six at most with no editing, not always in one sitting but I have no choice but to finish it in time.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
it feels like a million and a half years but usually a couple hours if all goes well

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Varies a lot, sometimes it takes entire weeks, sometimes in a hour. But one weird trick I found useful was recording my screen while writing. It somehow forces me to focus.

Really varies.

Sometimes I can't stop, sometimes it takes me weeks.

I find I tend to vary between those two extremes though. Either I'm a writing machine, or it's a deadzone.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
For me, it takes one to four hours to write a chapter of 1k-3k words. The problem is that I often can't write due to depression kicking my ass. I also don't edit my work at all, I just do my best to do it right the first time.

At the moment, I'm on week three for this one chapter I think. Need a brain that doesn't hate itself.

Then I'm in the "getting distracted by hearing foxes and raccoons spectrum."
I just have to go out and see them whenever I hear them.
I wish I could get distracted by foxxos, they are the cutest.

HappyVainGlory

1-2 hours depending on the length of the chapter. I restrict myself to 1 hour these days per chapter though because I'm starting to get finger pain even when using proper typing posture and an ergonomic keyboard.

I also don't edit though other than for simple spelling/punctuation stuff. Plus, I also use a custom writing program to streamline the way I write.

Nekroz

Usually a few days, mixed with both writing a rough draft and editing it at the same time, and occasional planning.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
For me, it takes one to four hours to write a chapter of 1k-3k words. The problem is that I often can't write due to depression kicking my ass. I also don't edit my work at all, I just do my best to do it right the first time.

At the moment, I'm on week three for this one chapter I think. Need a brain that doesn't hate itself.

I wish I could get distracted by foxxos, they are the cutest.
They smell like if a piss bottle has been marinated in the 120° sunlight for three days straight and then stuffed down the asshole of a diarrhoea patient.

AuthorsDread

My chapters on average has a word count of 2.5k. With distractions such as work, the actual time I spent on writing is 4 -8 hours a day, including the time it takes to edit/revise them.
Those are some long chapters. Need lots of mental energy to properly edit.

Jet

A year lol. But that's because I've been editing my prior work instead. It used to be around 2months. Except I had spent half a year on the very first chapter too. I think I should be able to do a chapter a month if I really tried to. I used to write 200words a day. And my chapters range from 6k to 10k words. I actually had some 20k words chapters as well. But I split those up. Anyway, it's editing that consumes the most time.

AuthorsDread

A year lol. But that's because I've been editing my prior work instead. It used to be around 2months. Except I had spent half a year on the very first chapter too. I think I should be able to do a chapter a month if I really tried to. I used to write 200words a day. And my chapters range from 6k to 10k words. I actually had some 20k words chapters as well. But I split those up. Anyway, it's editing that consumes the most time.
Right about that, editing does consume time.

Chrono157

For me, it depends on the content of the chapter. If it's a chapter focused on battles, I would estimate around 5-6 hours to write 5k-6k words, and maybe an hour to briefly scan through the chapter to make sure nothing is wrong with it. If it's a chapter that is about lore-building or explanations of things, then it takes maybe 4-5 hours to write 3k-4k words and then maybe another hour to revise and edit it for mistakes. If it's about development of relationships, then maybe 4-6 hours to write anywhere between 3k-5k words, then another hour or so of very small editing. When editing, I usually don't really focus too much on content, I normally edit for grammar issues and see if everything in the chapter makes a bit of sense... well at least that's how it is lately. Can't say too much about what it was like before.

AuthorsDread

For me, it depends on the content of the chapter. If it's a chapter focused on battles, I would estimate around 5-6 hours to write 5k-6k words, and maybe an hour to briefly scan through the chapter to make sure nothing is wrong with it. If it's a chapter that is about lore-building or explanations of things, then it takes maybe 4-5 hours to write 3k-4k words and then maybe another hour to revise and edit it for mistakes. If it's about development of relationships, then maybe 4-6 hours to write anywhere between 3k-5k words, then another hour or so of very small editing. When editing, I usually don't really focus too much on content, I normally edit for grammar issues and see if everything in the chapter makes a bit of sense... well at least that's how it is lately. Can't say too much about what it was like before.
Make sense, thanks for sharing.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
On a good day, maybe 4-6 hours to write half a chapter. On a bad day, maybe a few words. As for how long it takes me to write a chapter from start to finish, maybe about a 5 to 10 days, revising, editing, revisions after posting included.

AuthorsDread

On a good day, maybe 4-6 hours to write half a chapter. On a bad day, maybe a few words. As for how long it takes me to write a chapter from start to finish, maybe about a 5 to 10 days, revising, editing, revisions after posting included.
How long a chapter usually is? 2k or 3k words, or maybe less?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Given that everyone has a unique writing style, with chapter lengths varying from long to short, I am curious to know how much time you typically invest in each chapter, considering the evident effort that you put into your writing.
I spend between 10 min to 2 hours planning a chapter. Then about an hour for every 300 words, then when I finish the chapter’s first draft (~2,000 words) I spend multiple (non continuous) hours on editing. Then I use text to speech to read the chapter before it and the new chapter, and then proceed to edit them both as needed. Once I get a chapter near the end of the editing process I throw it into Grammarly. After that there is at most very minor changes, unless I need to update the chapter because of a newer chapter.