How long have y'all been writing? What have you improved on?

DarklyReadsBooks

Like the title says, I'm curious on how long people here have been writing for. Also I wanted to know how much you improved and what have you improved most on? Personally, I started writing at the start of May 2021.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
I started writing near the start of July 2021, and I managed to improve a lot.

At first, there are lots of grammars issues, and now I just get a few grammar corrections from my readers. (Doesn't mean that there aren't any mistakes with my grammars right now)

Last edited:

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Started writing around May 2018, though I also had about a decade of experience as a teen on play by post roleplay forums. The biggest way I’ve improved is that I’m not a native English speaker, and you could tell by the amount of time sentence construction from my mother tongue, as well as false friends, kept slipping in. Doesn’t really happen anymore.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Well, I started writing around 2015, but I wouldn't consider those "serious" writing since it's just short blurbs for reddit cyoas. The first time I actually tried writing a novel was near the end of 2019 when my friend shared his idea. Looking back at my work, I find it bloody cringe, like a typical edgy mc who has a sad backstory and acts like an asshole for no reason. I find it boring too, the grammar and spelling is bearable but boi, the prose. I had an entire 3k word chapter dedicated to cooking.a.fucking.rabbit. The walls of text hurt my eyes too. I am glad I never actually published that story.

Though, it iiis a gender bender, so i might consider rewriting it since I find the premise mildly interesting, though now not that unique to the platform(basically 'save and load')

I was going to post a part of it here, but I didn't have the will, it felt like reading a trashy GB LitRPG isekai.

As for improvements, I think I improved quite a bit, most notably I'm a lot less horny(wait is that an improvement?)

Jemini

I started writing in 2013, but it was mostly confined to forum based role-play until fairly recently. I improved a lot during that early period, but I have been improving even faster since I started publishing a serious work up on this site about a couple years ago. (I was in the 2nd wave of ScribbleHub members, coming in right after the big series from Royal Road had already uploaded.)

ForestDweller

I have been writing since around March last year.

As for what I've improved on, I don't know to be honest. Some of my readers said that I have improved but I don't really see it.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I started writing seriously early in 2012. Before that, I dabbled a bit but that was an on-again-off-again thing so I never really count it. Since starting for real, everything has seen at least some improvements but the most obvious would probably be weaving a more compelling story. Like, I personally like long stories with big casts and lots of connections between everyone and everything. That's not always easy to handle well. When it comes to my first couple of novels and series, there were issues in that department. By now, even sitting straight down with pretty much no planning, I'm still able to do it. That just came with experience.
In general though, when I look back at my old novels now, I can see so many issues at a glance, it's not even funny. I actually rewrote some of my more "recent" stories (one being from 2016, another from 2018) and even with those, the revised versions are so much better. I do want to do the same with another one from even earlier but even now, I can already say that I've come very far since then. It's like the difference between day and night in all departments.
One thing I still struggle with is editing, mostly because I loathe doing it. Big revisions are fun but simple editing is tedious to me. I haven't really worked out a good system for that yet although I'm on the case.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Like the title says, I'm curious on how long people here have been writing for. Also I wanted to know how much you improved and what have you improved most on? Personally, I started writing at the start of May 2021.
If you mean this site, then since May 2021 as well. However I’m currently rewriting my story so that’s a way to indicate that I’ve improved enough to want to change my entire story. I thought you meant got interested in writing.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I used to write a lot in years 2009-2015, then I got brain damaged and stopped until this year. The original novel I started writing in July is my first serious writing project since a dropped, unpublished and lost 100 pages long piece I wrote in 2015.

EternalSunset0

Technically, somewhere around 2013, but I mostly provided input and worked with someone, doing the actual writing on and off. I wrote on and off from then until 2017ish when I tried writing my first major series. Got burnt out after writing myself into a hole before rebooting said series last year into the one I have now.

I think I improved a lot in terms of imagery. Before, the chapters I oversaw used to breeze through events and have entire arcs finish in around 6 chapters of 3k words each.

My word count has tripled since then because now I spent more time on fluff, description, and giving characters meaningful development.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
Started around End of July this year, I believe I've improved a lot from the first time I'm writing my first chapter.

At first I like missing prepositions, now I didn't miss it anymore on a subject.

Also, My first action scene so suck and cringe when I start writing it, then some people told me to do it on 3rd POV because first POV has limited perspective. Now I did it, and I feel great about it.

I'm currently working at plural and nouns, I still miss sometimes but it much better than when I'm completely ignored it when I did my first 10 chapters.

My end goal is having a good grammar at english writing.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I started back in late 2019 but didn't start posting anywhere until later. Since then my writing quality has improved significantly. With my writing quality, I have also improved on my story structure. However, I am still not yet to a point that I believe myself to be of good enough quality. That is what practice is for I guess.

Xeoz

Around the end of March this year. I don't even know if I improved or now, but I would say on the grammar part—A little bit.

HokuouTenrou

Let's just say I started at 2017 (before that was mostly my awful attempts at fanfics)
Not even sure where did I improve; best compliment I got were I "have a good diction" (from a friend; tried my besht not to be repetitive/redundant) and that my story got "dry humor" (from a reader) lol. But probably just grammar.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
uh... I always wrote to myself since I was 13. It was on and off, but I started publishing at the start of this year on another website. And since then I have improved drastically. 💕

TotallyHuman

An an on-and-off-again kinda thing since I think 2018. Don't know how much I have improved if at all, since it's something I do irregularly to vent my emotions. I have read a bunch of pretty much everything since then (parts of my grandpa's personal library ending up in my possession helped too) so I have developed a taste much more complex than back in 2018 I guess.

Plantorsomething

Four-five years ago, with a big gap somewhere in there, and I honestly improved every aspect I can think of. My first story had vague plot, world, and themes, and half-baked characters with dialogue that went nowhere. I feel like I improved by 500-700 percent or something like that, but it took a long time.

i did write for quite a long time, probably around 2010. but it's just something casual.

i can't say that i've improved much. i just want to experience a good feeling whenever i write.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It was said that you cant improve upon perfection. Then i was born, and that changed