How many of you guys use Grammarly for your writing(stories)

Do you use Grammarly for you writing?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • No, don't plan on it either

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No, no reason why, just don't.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Katsuya

Yeah, well, just curious. Do you use Grammarly for what you post on SH or other sites- or just for fun?

do you think it's good(optional).

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I’d recommend everyone to use Grammarly or anything similar to that because there are so many small mistakes that you won’t pick up on. It’s good— if not a bit annoying a times (corrects unnecessary things)

Katsuya

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
There is nothing better to pick up your 3am writing mistakes; one-click and the duplicate word disappears, embarrassing there are turned to the correct their, no double spaces, and better punctuation.

I can't do hyphens well, that's Grammarly's job. I mean, it has to work to keep its share! :blob_uwu: Totally not using the free version without registering.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I use it for everything. It counts my mistakes like a condescending Count Dracula and makes sure to help me fix them. I'm definitely using the free version. No point in paying for it... yet.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
There is nothing better to pick up your 3am writing mistakes; one-click and the duplicate word disappears, embarrassing there are turned to the correct their, no double spaces, and better punctuation.

I can't do hyphens well, that's Grammarly's job. I mean, it has to work to keep its share! :blob_uwu: Totally not using the free version without registering.
Grammarly likes to remind me to stop using words like “really, especially, actually” because it’s not necessary. Which… isn’t true...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Grammarly likes to remind me to stop using words like “really, especially, actually” because it’s not necessary. Which… isn’t true...
Agreed. It's so dumb because they assume you're writing an essay where they are unnecessary. I just altered the settings a bit and now it doesn't tell me to remove them anymore.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
it doesn't do that for me :blob_hmm_two:
But didn't you need to set the purpose of your writing at the beginning? Like casual and creative writing

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Nevre uesd it becuase I don't wnat the AI overlowds to stop myeslf from doing sotemhing as smiple as wrtiing, whcih used to be acocmplished perefctly by every wrietr witohut an edtior. As yuo cna read I'm pertty gud with garmmar

eun_

Yeah, well, just curious. Do you use Grammarly for what you post on SH or other sites- or just for fun?

I used to check my writing on Grammarly when I was still new to writing. Though my reliance on it became lesser and lesser as I became more proficient.

Do I think it's good? Yes, especially for the new authors who wanted to publish their first story. It can teach others not to rely on passive-voice writing and remove unnecessary words or adverbs. However, relying on Grammarly at all times kills all kinds of creativity. Your story can feel robotic at times if you solely rely on that program.

It also has a glaring problem of not really knowing the context of the story. Basically it's only a spelling/sentence checker.

All-in-all, it's good when checking your novel for glaring mistakes, but not so much if you want to write a descriptive-heavy chapter or a story. Grammarly kills those kind of stuff.

Layenlml

I use it before but changed to quillbot, I like only correcting 125 words or less at a time since it lets me slowly read the whole thing again to make changes or add things.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

I use LanguageTool with word2vec and ngrams (free for unlimited words if you run your own server). Best of all, it runs locally and doesn't send my data to somewhere else and is open source. You can even add your own rules.

Though it is important to know with any grammar tools, they offer SUGGESTIONS. None of them are 100% right, so you gotta pay attention and make your own decision. But it definitely helps with dealing with oversights.

Last edited:

Temple

For me, it's more for catching the small stuff.

D

Deleted member 54065

Grammarly and Prowriting Aid, though I'm kind of annoyed with the latter forcing 'political correctness' on my work.

I write what I want to write.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Only when I am stirring the carcasses that are my never posted works. That is it.

I don't even use the word correction tool in my work report or my daily conversation with others.