How many updates should I do per day?

doravg

107/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
I do one chapter per day — now. Should I do more per day? What is your experience? Also, what is a good time to post? I know for a fact that ten chapters per day turns away readers. I tried it. And four chapters used to net me a lot of readers, once. But I can't write that fast anymore.

Agentt

Thighs
I do one chapter per day — now. Should I do more per day? What is your experience? Also, what is a good time to post? I know for a fact that ten chapters per day turns away readers. I tried it. And four chapters used to net me a lot of readers, once. But I can't write that fast anymore.
;-;
*pat pat pats*
One or two chapters a week is optimal.
Yes, you can make one chapter a day, but think of the quality improvement when you can have an entire week for it.

And as for a good time to post, you have to experiment that yourself, depending on where you live and where your readers live.

Just remember to be regular. Write your schedule on your synopsis, like 2 chapters a week, Tuesday and Friday, that is more important.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
You can do as many as you want, but I’d at least space them out enough if you do multiple per day so it’s off the first page of the latest chapter updates.

I made that mistake when I was updating the first several chapters about a week ago but I’m still an SH newbie so don’t take my advice seriously.
;-;
*pat pat pats*
One or two chapters a week is optimal.
Yes, you can make one chapter a day, but think of the quality improvement when you can have an entire week for it.

And as for a good time to post, you have to experiment that yourself, depending on where you live and where your readers live.

Just remember to be regular. Write your schedule on your synopsis, like 2 chapters a week, Tuesday and Friday, that is more important.
I guess it depends on what you’re writing. I’m writing smut so I don’t think my readers care much for quality.

BlackKnightX

I know for a fact that ten chapters per day turns away readers.
Wait, why? I think more chapters means the more likely readers will decide to read your story. Maybe this is just me, but I prefer the chapters to be piled up to some extent so I can binge-read them in one go.

doravg

Wait, why? I think more chapters means the more likely readers will decide to read your story. Maybe this is just me, but I prefer the chapters to be piled up to some extent so I can binge-read them in one go.
That is just the result I got on The Security Lamb. Granted, I used to write 10k words per day back then, so I could post as I wrote and still do 10 chapters per day.
I decided to update twice per day. Since that is the number of chapters I write nowadays.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Then start spamming I guess.

Don't lump all your release on an hour or three, try to do a six hour release for more broad net casting.

Or just post on the GMT-4 9am.

ARedFox

I see stories doing 7+ chapters a week and it makes me pause for a bit. Personally, when I see that I associate it with lower quality, be it in plot or grammar, as well as shorter chapters that feel like they lack substance. It could be totally false, and one of those stories could be the best thing I've ever read, but its my first impression. And if I don't like it, the description, tags, or just from initial bias, it doesn't matter how many chapters it has.

So while more chapters and faster release rate might attract some people, it isn't the deciding factor for clicking on and or reading a story for others.

Such is my theory anyways. Probably got something wrong lol.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Too time consuming and feels too overwhelming.

It's just hard to imagine reading 10 chapters every day to stay up to date with a story, it's too much.

Different people vary on their preferences though. I personally don't read stuff with more than 1 chapter/day (1 per week is ideal to me though), but I know people who prefers more chapters.

Kenjona

If you can guarantee the quality of your chapters, then however many you can put out. I do not have to be "up to date" on a story I would not mind getting behind as long as the story is good. Now those stories that are really good and only do one chapter a week or month, those hurt.

expentio

For the time, I believe it doesn't hurt to keep timezones in mind. For example, when it's 0:00 - 6:00 on the Pacific this means the other time zones are more active. Then one should mind which one is the country one is aiming for as an audience and to get a good time there when hopefully SH is more frequented. This could either be in the morning when people browse as part of their morning program or the evening when they want to read to end the day.
Also, it's helpful to mind the push times when many stories are updated. I avoid posting at full hours since many schedule to such times and your new chapter can quickly get pushed out of the front page.
Personally, I'd say a bit longer chapters are better as too short gives a slightly negative impression. I usually aim for 1500-2000 words. Though that might only be me.

Arkus86

I see stories doing 7+ chapters a week and it makes me pause for a bit. Personally, when I see that I associate it with lower quality, be it in plot or grammar, as well as shorter chapters that feel like they lack substance. It could be totally false, and one of those stories could be the best thing I've ever read, but its my first impression. And if I don't like it, the description, tags, or just from initial bias, it doesn't matter how many chapters it has.

So while more chapters and faster release rate might attract some people, it isn't the deciding factor for clicking on and or reading a story for others.

Such is my theory anyways. Probably got something wrong lol.
This. If I see a story releasing multiple chapters a day, unless I know it's the author purging their stockpile or something, I will assume it's rushed, therefore low quality and/or short chapters, both of which can be frustrating to read.

doravg

This. If I see a story releasing multiple chapters a day, unless I know it's the author purging their stockpile or something, I will assume it's rushed, therefore low quality and/or short chapters, both of which can be frustrating to read.
All the stories that I am updating, bar Modern Necromancer, are completed. I do need to purge the stockpile, so my latest book can have more time on the latest updated page.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
All the stories that I am updating, bar Modern Necromancer, are completed. I do need to purge the stockpile, so my latest book can have more time on the latest updated page.
Have you tried experimenting with the "scheduled" release function on the add a chapter page? You could just space out your releases each day so you can release a different series at different times or just play around with getting it to the front page on certain days. I've just started playing around with it with a chapter scheduled to release in about 12 hours.

Edit: Bad advice for visibility, don't do this.

Last edited:

doravg

Have you tried experimenting with the "scheduled" release function on the add a chapter page? You could just space out your releases each day so you can release a different series at different times or just play around with getting it to the front page on certain days. I've just started playing around with it with a chapter scheduled to release in about 12 hours.
I am at work during the day. I can only update in the morning and when I get off work.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I am at work during the day. I can only update in the morning and when I get off work.
I have to comeback and Redact what I wrote before. The scheduling system won't put your work on the front page, it'll report when it was previously published instead I think. Or maybe I messed up. I'm going to run another test to see if it will work.

EDIT: Alright, I've confirmed it. The System will mark the posting of a chapter the moment you "schedule" it so it won't reach the front page, which means my suggestion above is useless for visibility. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

authorajhenry

Tbh, I want to believe that I could conform to a system of posting once a day or even a week. But I'm a goblin who either pushes out like multiple chapters a day, or once every few days with piss poor quality and me questioning why I wanted to be a writer in the first place. There's no in between.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I have to comeback and Redact what I wrote before. The scheduling system won't put your work on the front page, it'll report when it was previously published instead I think. Or maybe I messed up. I'm going to run another test to see if it will work.

EDIT: Alright, I've confirmed it. The System will mark the posting of a chapter the moment you "schedule" it so it won't reach the front page, which means my suggestion above is useless for visibility. Sorry about that.
No, it does not. Maybe if you’re scheduling multiple releases a day and the system is flagging you thinking you’re trying to game the system, but it should go to the top of the latest updates feed the moment it is actually published(give or take a minute or two for it to update sometimes) not from when you schedule the chapter.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
No, it does not. Maybe if you’re scheduling multiple releases a day and the system is flagging you thinking you’re trying to game the system, but it should go to the top of the latest updates feed the moment it is actually published(give or take a minute or two for it to update sometimes) not from when you schedule the chapter.
I posted once with a schedule a to check the system, it hasn't worked that way for me. Every immediate publish however goes to the latest feed updates, if you delete a chapter and "re-post" immediately it also goes to the front. If it's scheduled it posts to the time I originally put it on. Unless I'm doing something wrong or maybe a site update has bugged it.