How Many Words Do You Guys Average Per Chapter

Redchaos1

I was just wondering but how many words do you guys manage to average out on a single chapter and how long does it take?.

Kaguro

1.2k average.

About 4 hours to write, 30 minutes to 1 hour to edit and rewrite.

C.Sunlight

Depends on if I'm writing that one novel (i.e. my-fanfic-that-i-feel-an-obligation-to-finish) or something that I actually really enjoy writing like this original I'm making.

If it's the fanfic, 1.5k words is my min
But my original is more like 2.5k, and a lot of times, 3k.

Although, don't be too discouraged by these numbers; my absolute best used to barely break 1k. Practice makes perfect, basically. Just keep writing and your word count will gradually increase if you try for it.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
3.5k-4k generally. Anything shorter than that and it just feels to me like nothing really happens in the chapter. As for how long it takes... :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely:
Time spent actually writing? Doubt it'd be more than 10 hours total. Not sure exactly, never thought to keep track. Probably somewhere in-between 4-10 hours though.

My average words in every chapter around 1.8k-2.5k. Sometimes it could be less or more, because I have determined the events that occur in 1 chapter.

Sometime, 1 chapter with 2k words, I could finish them in an hour. But currently, I'm under the spell of the Witch of Procrastinate. Therefore I could finish 1 chapter in a week.

Again, all of that depends on my mood.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Depending on how the story flows. One story I write averages 5k+ per chapter. Another is 1k+. Not because I'm lazy on the other but because it fits the pacing and genre better. :blob_evil_two:

shiopan

I used to do 700 but now about 1k-1.5k

and how long... idk it differs from 2 hours to 1 week depending on my mood

Riese

Just a writer for fun
1k words per hour that’s why I strive to do about 3 chapters per day to keep my readers satisfied when I release new chapters. :blobtaco:

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
1500 to 2500 words.

As for length of completion, it varies. I like to take my time curating what I want in the chapter.

I try to get rid of the 'fat', repetition, unnecessary sentences, plot holes, odd sounding paragraphs, etc.

Of course, I can also write 4000 words worth of garbage, just like anyone else. It's the editing and future planning of the story that take most of my time.

So...time-wise. 8-hours for a chapter at a state that's probably acceptable for publishing. And countless more hours in edits.

Let's just say that I don't publish a chapter immediately after completing it.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I started with 2-3k at the beginning. After 2 months of writing I'm reaching 4-5k, sometimes 6k in the same span of time (6-9h). I write as much as it feels right to cover in the chapter though. Don't like too much chaos and also for it to feel empty. Quality over quantity. It's getting easier to write with time. I still usually take one more day before publishing a finished one, to rethink and reread everything and ofc edit many times. My current "pushing to the limits without affecting the quality" record was a little over 9k words a day, 5k for one story and 4k for another.

i can write a chapter with just a sentence on a story, but for the usual, it's around 1k to 2k words.

for the time, it depends on mood. usually it range from once per week to a few days. i don't really write that much since it's mostly a hobby.

Shiver

I write untill I have a natural stopping point, or a not too bad cliff.
chapter average is around 2,5k, but I usually try to have a minimum of 2k and no more than 4.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
2.5k words, or at least that's what ScribbleHub says. The lengths tend to vary a lot though, some being 1.3k or even 4k.