How to add tags

RavensDagger

Hello,

So, I wanted to get a few more views on my stories and figured that adding a few tags wouldn't hurt. But the list of available tags are kind of... strange? There seems to be some that are very specific to a niche kind of story, but then none for things that I'd take for granted elsewhere.

There are a lot of incest-based tags, but none for yuri/lesbian/lgbt romances.
There's no Historical Fiction tag or young adult, two of the bigger genres of story out there.

I'm new to the site, so maybe I'm missing the point, but the tags make it feel like the stories that are wanted here are... kind of weird.

Who picks the tags and why are they so strangely focused?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
They got ported from Novel Update. I can't find the list of comprehensive explanation about them so you're out of luck for this one.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I was happy with the tags 😇

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Hello,

So, I wanted to get a few more views on my stories and figured that adding a few tags wouldn't hurt. But the list of available tags are kind of... strange? There seems to be some that are very specific to a niche kind of story, but then none for things that I'd take for granted elsewhere.

There's no Historical Fiction tag or young adult, two of the bigger genres of story out there.

I'm new to the site, so maybe I'm missing the point, but the tags make it feel like the stories that are wanted here are... kind of weird.

Who picks the tags and why are they so strangely focused?
Understand that most users here get their inspirations from Eastern works, which have niches like Incest or Harem. These tags usually harken back to light novels, mangas or manhwas, which have very fucken specific demographics that somehow makes mad moolah.

RavensDagger

Understand that most users here get their inspirations from Eastern works, which have niches like Incest or Harem. These tags usually harken back to light novels, mangas or manhwas, which have very fucken specific demographics that somehow makes mad moolah.

Yeah, I figured.

I guess the question is, does Scibble Hub want to only cater to people writing stories in that niche, or does it want to spread out to encompass different kinds of stories?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Yeah, I figured.

I guess the question is, does Scibble Hub want to only cater to people writing stories in that niche, or does it want to spread out to encompass different kinds of stories?
at this point, you have to look at the tags in a different way. your story is not representative of those tags, but rather the tags just tell readers what your story will have. it's for people who don't want to read a specific niche in your story and the tags are like warning signs for them to fuck off real quick if they don't wanna read about it.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Yeah, I figured.

As far as I'm aware, SH is open to any type of story, so long as it doesn't breach terms of service. As has been mentioned, scribblehub is kind of a child of novelupdates, which mostly caters to japanese/chinese/korean novels, so most of the tags and stories are of similar themes to those, but there's no rule saying that has to be the case, it's just a general trend. If there are tags you think should be added, you should be able to request that on the suggestions & bug reports sub-forum, I think? I don't know if there's a specific thread or anything for it, though. Tony'll look at it and respond at some point, probably.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
For Historical Fiction, you could add the Historical Genre.

For Young Adult, that's more of a demographic thing than a genre itself, so I don't think there is anything to be gained from it?

RavensDagger

As far as I'm aware, SH is open to any type of story, so long as it doesn't breach terms of service. As has been mentioned, scribblehub is kind of a child of novelupdates, which mostly caters to japanese/chinese/korean novels, so most of the tags and stories are of similar themes to those, but there's no rule saying that has to be the case, it's just a general trend. If there are tags you think should be added, you should be able to request that on the suggestions & bug reports sub-forum, I think? I don't know if there's a specific thread or anything for it, though. Tony'll look at it and respond at some point, probably.

I mean, there's some weirdness in the statement 'SH is open to any story' when 'SH only has tags for certain kinds of stories' is right next to it.

I don't really mind, a niche site for niche stories is totally okay.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I mean, there's some weirdness in the statement 'SH is open to any story' when 'SH only has tags for certain kinds of stories' is right next to it.

I don't really mind, a niche site for niche stories is totally okay.
If you want a new tag that isn't covered by what is currently on Scribbly, you can always make a feature request about it.

Right now everything you requested is already on Scribbly, so I don't see the point of your complaint.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
For yuri/lesbian, it's suggested not to use tags but the "Girls Love" genre. If it's yaoi/gay, use the "Boys Love" genre and, again, no tag. For other lgbt romances, just use the romance genre and add tags specifying it further. E.g., we do have a bisexual and a pansexual protagonist tag and there's also a transgender tag.

As for other tags ... I've suggested some LGBT+ ones ages ago (in January, lol) in this thread: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/add-new-tags-to-choose-from.1453/
To summarize: a lesbian and gay (or homosexual for both) protagonist tag was shot down, while some people agreed on asexual and/or aromantic protagonist tags and others found them unnecessary. So far, neither has been implemented.
I'm pretty sure I remember another thread asking for LGBT+ tags but I don't think that was implemented either and I can't find it right now.

As for historical fiction and YA, I agree with what @AliceShiki said in #8.

Edit: Found the other one: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/homosexual-heterosexual-protagonist.1659/#post-32362 Homosexual and heterosexual protagonist tag were suggested there.

Plus, to add onto that since I think it's relevant here, I'd like to quote what AliceShiki mentioned in that post:
If there is a GL or BL romance that doesn't involve the protagonist, it should not use the BL or GL genres, it should instead use the "Shoujo-ai subplot" and "shounen-ai subplot" tags. (they were imported from NU, that's why they're like this)

Last edited: