How to create a clever and sly character with the personality of a snake?

LilTV1155

Here's the rundown on this character in question.

This C was contacted and employed by several people for almost the same purposes - monitoring, tracking, and protection services + assassination. They wanted him to track down the MC, then monitor him. If the MC shows any signs of betrayals, then C must terminate MC.

He snuck into a slave auction and got himself sold to this SC servant. He was given a contract to sign by this SC to maintain confidentiality, serve and protect MC until his debt have been cleared. But when MC confront this C about his purpose.

"What did SC (Side Character) hired you for?"

How should this C (Character) respond according to his sly, snake personality and his arrogant sarcastic tone?
* His reply should infuriate MC but make it impossible for MC to refute and refuse, deny or fire C from not doing his duty as a slave bodyguard.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

if C is smart, he will not say anything but let MC come up with an explanation for himself. So
"Because you're useless, so I have to wipe after your ass"

Last edited:

LilTV1155

if C is smart, he will not say anything but let MC come up with an explanation for himself.
Problem is MC, want to get rid of him and make him a freeman right away which counter his original objective of close-up spy duties as a bodyguard. There's also that contract that the SC made C sign earlier. It requires strict confidentiality and contains devastating penalties for C.

C is desperate to be MC's bodyguard.

P00H

Give him thin mustache which he can swirl around, and give him a weasel-like laugh every time he lies. And make him short and sneaking around and he wears all black and name him something cool like... uhm Snakeous or smth. Rather easy, imo.

Jemini

I'll give you some advice for writing ANY smart character.

As a general rule, a writer can only convincingly write a character that's 1 standard deviation above themselves on the IQ chart. A standard deviation is 15 points, so whatever your IQ is, if you add 15 points then it's probably possible for you to write a character at that level.

In other words do not try to write characters with a genius level IQ (145+) unless you personally have an IQ higher than 130. Instead, you can just write an intelligent (but not genius level) character who happens to be well prepared and well informed.

To get more into the "personality like a snake" mind-set, this generally boils down to one single character trait. A snake-like personality describes a person who is always out for their own self-interest, and their MO for achieving their self-interest is to convince other people that it is in THEIR self-interest to do the thing they want them to do. This can run the full gambit from genuinely mutually beneficial arrangements, and only mutually beneficial arrangements (the snake-like character will never go into an arrangement where they help another in pure altruism), to the snake-like character tricking people into doing things that really are not good for them and only benefit the snake-like character.

In the case of likable snake-like characters, they will be making arrangements to the MC's benefit, but you will notice that the snake-like character is almost constantly profiting from every single deal they make with the MC, and probably from a few dozen other deals they're making off camera as well. In the case of evil snake-like characters, they are constantly trying to trick people and rip them off. A classic con-man role.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
"I am" *dramatic music* "the condom police!"

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'll give you some advice for writing ANY smart character.

As a general rule, a writer can only convincingly write a character that's 1 standard deviation above themselves on the IQ chart. A standard deviation is 15 points, so whatever your IQ is, if you add 15 points then it's probably possible for you to write a character at that level.

In other words do not try to write characters with a genius level IQ (145+) unless you personally have an IQ higher than 130. Instead, you can just write an intelligent (but not genius level) character who happens to be well prepared and well informed.

To get more into the "personality like a snake" mind-set, this generally boils down to one single character trait. A snake-like personality describes a person who is always out for their own self-interest, and their MO for achieving their self-interest is to convince other people that it is in THEIR self-interest to do the thing they want them to do. This can run the full gambit from genuinely mutually beneficial arrangements, and only mutually beneficial arrangements (the snake-like character will never go into an arrangement where they help another in pure altruism), to the snake-like character tricking people into doing things that really are not good for them and only benefit the snake-like character.

In the case of likable snake-like characters, they will be making arrangements to the MC's benefit, but you will notice that the snake-like character is almost constantly profiting from every single deal they make with the MC, and probably from a few dozen other deals they're making off camera as well. In the case of evil snake-like characters, they are constantly trying to trick people and rip them off. A classic con-man role.
nah, you just gotta watch a lotta Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock and you can write a convincing smart character. But ya gotta know it by heart.

I dunno why people dont just take examples from characters and stories like that. Like, if you wanna write good horror, go binge some Stephen King. Fantasy? Brandon Sanderson. Once you read enough, you should be able to even mimic their sentence structure itself. I used to do that kinda stuff alot, then i just started reading alotta trashy japanese isekai stuff and now im rusty. Junk food rots the brain and all that.

Anyway, any idiot can copy, yeah?.

"Here's my homework, just change it a lil bit so no one notices."

Jemini

nah, you just gotta watch a lotta Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock and you can write a convincing smart character. But ya gotta know it by heart.

I dunno why people dont just take examples from characters and stories like that. Like, if you wanna write good horror, go binge some Stephen King. Fantasy? Brandon Sanderson. Once you read enough, you should be able to even mimic their sentence structure itself. I used to do that kinda stuff alot, then i just started reading alotta trashy japanese isekai stuff and now im rusty. Junk food rots the brain and all that.

Anyway, any idiot can copy, yeah?.

"Here's my homework, just change it a lil bit so no one notices."
Err... except that Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock has the behavior of someone with a 115 IQ trying to act like he's smarter than he is, all the while just being a huge jerk.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant by you can't write a character that's more than 1 standard deviation smarter than you are. His character's not smart, the plot just happens to be on his side. In fact, the writers for that show REALLY don't know how to write smart people at all.

Also, this character is probably the absolute worst example of a harmful smart person stereotype I've ever seen. He plays into all the worst tropes people with high IQs cringe at when it shows this is what other people think of their group. Smart people are not arrogant or ass-holes. A lot of high IQ people do have social problems and wind up offending people without realizing it, but they do not do so deliberately.

Seriously, your response here shows a horrible lack of understanding on this subject.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You don’t have to write a clever character, you just need to have other characters react like they are clever and smart. This is not financial writing advice

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
So I can write someone with an IQ of 161?

Honestly, I don't even understand how I'm smart. I mean, I am. I have had it explained to me, I don't believe it most of the time, but I can see the case for it. I feel like I was just lucky, but, you know...

Writing for someone with an IQ of 161? I can't even conceive it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Err... except that Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock has the behavior of someone with a 115 IQ trying to act like he's smarter than he is, all the while just being a huge jerk.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant by you can't write a character that's more than 1 standard deviation smarter than you are. His character's not smart, the plot just happens to be on his side. In fact, the writers for that show REALLY don't know how to write smart people at all.

Also, this character is probably the absolute worst example of a harmful smart person stereotype I've ever seen. He plays into all the worst tropes people with high IQs cringe at when it shows this is what other people think of their group. Smart people are not arrogant or ass-holes. A lot of high IQ people do have social problems and wind up offending people without realizing it, but they do not do so deliberately.

wouldnt know, i never watched Sherlock i just heard some things. Does it really matter how he plays into tropes? it gives the illusion he's smart and thats good enough for most people, and him being an asshole is more a character trait than anything.
Seriously, your response here shows a horrible lack of understanding on this subject.
nah you really can just copy what other writers do. Its easy.

TheEldritchGod

Look. Let's remove stereotypes.

If you want a sly, smart character, he's tall about 6'4". He's above average looks, and physically fit. Why? Adversity does not breed intelligence. If you have these advantages, and loving well balanced parents, you will be encouraged to study hard. You will also make friends because socialization is needed to understand people.

You will need to have some luck on your side and have an IQ of about 115 to 120, but that's not too hard. Then with all this going for you, you need to have a pivotal event. This event is where the MC becomes addicted to power.

Addiction to power is easy. Most likely it is someone who had it coming. The MC smacked them down hard, with witnesses. Everyone praises him and he is high for days afterwords. He must have NO EMPATHY for the target.

Then, he will encounter another chance to punish evil. But... this time... the rush? Meh. Not as intense. What did he do wrong? Didn't brag enough? Wasn't cruel enough?

Then he destroys someone else. This time he punishes them while he... I dunno.. cons them out of thier money, because, you know, they were bad. They hurt someone, or are a drug dealer, whatever.

But barely a drop of dopamine this time.

Again, and again. He starts being sarcastic. He starts looking for ways to torture people. He stops caring if they have it coming. He just starts hurting people because he can. Because he needs to. Because he's better than them.

Then he crosses the line and takes a new risk. Gambling. Convincing some virgin to give it up to him. Drugs. Embesseling. What ever he does gives him that high he is looking for.

And it starts all over, getting worse and worse as he chases the dragon. Looking fir that rush that first time gave him.

He's a good guy, but he's addicted to power. So he avoids being an asshole. He tries to do the right thing, but lying has become second nature. Why? Because he's smarter than everyone. He's ahead of the curve. He knows how the world really works and the world only let's you be as good as it wants you to be.

The world is evil, so it's okay if you are evil too.

That's how it starts.

Jemini

So I can write someone with an IQ of 161?

Honestly, I don't even understand how I'm smart. I mean, I am. I have had it explained to me, I don't believe it most of the time, but I can see the case for it. I feel like I was just lucky, but, you know...

Writing for someone with an IQ of 161? I can't even conceive it.
Ok, THIS is exactly what I'm talking about. You are the same as most high IQ people in this sense. A smart person doesn't think of themselves as smart. The reason for this is you, by nature, do not compare yourself to other people. Instead, you are smart enough that you can learn from other people, and literally everyone, including people with a MUCH lower IQ than you, has something to teach that you don't know. This naturally humbles you and in that humbleness you do not under-estimate or look down on the knowledge of other people.

It is an application of the other side of the Dunning-Kruger effect. That is the effect where the less you know about a subject, the more confident you are of your own knowledge of the subject. If you are dumb, you think you're a genius. On the other end of the spectrum, people who know a lot about a subject are informed enough to see the gaps in their own knowledge and become aware that there's a lot more to know. You become more conscious of your own inadequacies.

A high IQ person has this level of awareness toward a broad enough scope of subjects that they can actually convince themselves that they're the dumbest person in the room. Thing is, that person isn't dumb. They're the person who's the most self-aware of the holes in their own knowledge, and the reason they're so aware of this is because they have more knowledge than anyone else there. It's a strange effect.

Because of all this, a genuinely smart person rarely if ever thinks of themselves as smart.

As a genuinely smart person with a 146 IQ, you have first-hand knowledge of this quirk of smart people, and you can therefore portray it in any character you write very well. As for the place the extra 15 IQ points come in, that just comes from the plot bending in favor of the character's thought process. They are able to think faster than a real person because you, the writer, give them the solutions faster. They are able to be more knowledgeable than a real person because you can supplement their knowledge with internet searches. They are able to discover other people's schemes more easily because the author knows about the schemes and they can just let the smart character figure it out. The smart person's plans work out more beautifully because the plot says the plan will work.

So, the writer can just make the protagonist that little bit sharper than themselves in just about every area. A writer of any level could conceivably do this, but a writer can't go too far from their own IQ because the character becomes less believable if you do. If you are within 1 standard deviation, it still makes sense for the intelligence-related quirks of the character to be similar to the ones held by the writer. Meanwhile, the writer is able to conceive of and write out plots and scenarios that their own brain can conceive of, and a smarter writer can write a smarter scenario for the character to figure their way through. And, if the writer really pushes themselves to create the scenario, then it will almost always be the case that the character who's easily able to solve the scenario will come off as being 1 standard deviation of intelligence higher than the one who thought it up. This is the difference between how an omniscient writer's intelligence is perceived Vs. the limited awareness of the character.

(And I do mean that the character will naturally be perceived as being exactly 1 standard deviation of intelligence higher, because however smart the scenario the writer came up with is, the best scenario the writer can come up with is a reflection of the writer's own intelligence, which means any horridly convoluted plan thought up by a 100 IQ person will look like a 100 IQ person came up with it, and it's unavoidable that it will look like a 100 IQ person came up with it, and therefore it will not be as impressive when the character solves it. Compare this to the best scenario you, as a 146 IQ person, can come up with. The character who manages their way through this scenario will come off looking like a 161 IQ person.)
wouldnt know, i never watched Sherlock i just heard some things. Does it really matter how he plays into tropes? it gives the illusion he's smart and thats good enough for most people, and him being an asshole is more a character trait than anything.

nah you really can just copy what other writers do. Its easy.
See my response to TheEldrichGod.

TheEldritchGod

After that, the person is constantly stressed. He is always telling people what they want to hear. He lies to everyone and constantly juggles his lies.

And he enjoys it.

The rush of almost getting caught, but then managing to keep the lies going is what he craves. He needs it. Maybe he makes a lot of money. He hooks up with other people with the same problems.

BTW, if it sounds like I'm describing the political parties in your country... well...

As time goes on, he enlists someone to help him. They become his enabler. They keep him functioning and cover shit up for the money. However, eventually the dopamine bottoms out entirely. He eventually sees what he has become and can't do anything about it. He can't fix himself without losing everything..

And this is how you get governors who hire 110k hookers with government funds. Because he just doesn't care any more.

This is the trajectory of your average sly snake character.
How do you write this?

Keep in mind that the important part is that it is the RISK, that creates the dopamine rush. So they don't get nervous when things start going wrong.

THEY LOVE IT.

They THRIVE when the plan goes off the rails. They are good at thinking on thier feet, but ironically, cannot think long term. They might have an immediate goal, but beyond that goal, there us nothing.

They become experts at improv. They actually believe thier lies. They have no problem with holding two contradicting viewpoints in their minds. Again, watch my video list. The ten answers to a binary question is important. Because their is a difference between lying and deception. You can deceive without ever lying.

People forgive deception, but not lies.

You have to know how to ask a leading question, use nonsequitors, make a spiritually true statement that is technically a lie, and vice versa. How to redefine words. How to use tone, body language, facial expressions to say one thing while your words say another.

The art of being a sly snake is how to muddle communication, while making sure people think what you want. It is also a mindset. You have to enjoy it. The stress relaxes you. You want thongs to almost fall apart, then pull your ass out of the fire.

It isn't about the goal, but how close you can come to losing without actually failing that matters.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Ok, THIS is exactly what I'm talking about. You are the same as most high IQ people in this sense. A smart person doesn't think of themselves as smart. The reason for this is you, by nature, do not compare yourself to other people. Instead, you are smart enough that you can learn from other people, and literally everyone, including people with a MUCH lower IQ than you, has something to teach that you don't know. This naturally humbles you and in that humbleness you do not under-estimate or look down on the knowledge of other people.

It is an application of the other side of the Dunning-Kruger effect. That is the effect where the less you know about a subject, the more confident you are of your own knowledge of the subject. If you are dumb, you think you're a genius. On the other end of the spectrum, people who know a lot about a subject are informed enough to see the gaps in their own knowledge and become aware that there's a lot more to know. You become more conscious of your own inadequacies.

A high IQ person has this level of awareness toward a broad enough scope of subjects that they can actually convince themselves that they're the dumbest person in the room. Thing is, that person isn't dumb. They're the person who's the most self-aware of the holes in their own knowledge, and the reason they're so aware of this is because they have more knowledge than anyone else there. It's a strange effect.

Because of all this, a genuinely smart person rarely if ever thinks of themselves as smart.

As a genuinely smart person with a 146 IQ, you have first-hand knowledge of this quirk of smart people, and you can therefore portray it in any character you write very well. As for the place the extra 15 IQ points come in, that just comes from the plot bending in favor of the character's thought process. They are able to think faster than a real person because you, the writer, give them the solutions faster. They are able to be more knowledgeable than a real person because you can supplement their knowledge with internet searches. They are able to discover other people's schemes more easily because the author knows about the schemes and they can just let the smart character figure it out. The smart person's plans work out more beautifully because the plot says the plan will work.

So, the writer can just make the protagonist that little bit sharper than themselves in just about every area. A writer of any level could conceivably do this, but a writer can't go too far from their own IQ because the character becomes less believable if you do. If you are within 1 standard deviation, it still makes sense for the intelligence-related quirks of the character to be similar to the ones held by the writer. Meanwhile, the writer is able to conceive of and write out plots and scenarios that their own brain can conceive of, and a smarter writer can write a smarter scenario for the character to figure their way through. And, if the writer really pushes themselves to create the scenario, then it will almost always be the case that the character who's easily able to solve the scenario will come off as being 1 standard deviation of intelligence higher than the one who thought it up. This is the difference between how an omniscient writer's intelligence is perceived Vs. the limited awareness of the character.

(And I do mean that the character will naturally be perceived as being exactly 1 standard deviation of intelligence higher, because however smart the scenario the writer came up with is, the best scenario the writer can come up with is a reflection of the writer's own intelligence, which means any horridly convoluted plan thought up by a 100 IQ person will look like a 100 IQ person came up with it, and it's unavoidable that it will look like a 100 IQ person came up with it, and therefore it will not be as impressive when the character solves it. Compare this to the best scenario you, as a 146 IQ person, can come up with. The character who manages their way through this scenario will come off looking like a 161 IQ person.)

See my response to TheEldrichGod.
eh, people know different things. What exactly defines intelligence? the standard definition is the ability to "acquire and apply knowledge and skills" which basically applies to everyone in their own way. I've known people who cant even spell their own name or tell you what 7 x 7 is, but can speak three languages and hotwire a car.

Are they dumb? smart? Not quite sure how the whole IQ things works or how its scored. Seems very generalized. Like, it measures certain critical thinking skills? Which i suppose makes sense, but then a lotta people with specific knowledge will be excluded. Gonna have people thinking they're idiots just because the things they're adept at arent on the test. Not that im saying i disregard IQ scores. I usually trust in something perfected over decades by people more knowledgable than me.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Here's the rundown on this character in question.

This C was contacted and employed by several people for almost the same purposes - monitoring, tracking, and protection services + assassination. They wanted him to track down the MC, then monitor him. If the MC shows any signs of betrayals, then C must terminate MC.

He snuck into a slave auction and got himself sold to this SC servant. He was given a contract to sign by this SC to maintain confidentiality, serve and protect MC until his debt have been cleared. But when MC confront this C about his purpose.

"What did SC (Side Character) hired you for?"

How should this C (Character) respond according to his sly, snake personality and his arrogant sarcastic tone?
* His reply should infuriate MC but make it impossible for MC to refute and refuse, deny or fire C from not doing his duty as a slave bodyguard.
Just act like C2 from Code Geass.