How to increase wordpool for strong and unique words

BluePheasant

English is my 2nd language. As my wordpool isn't that great, I tend to use weak verbs and adverbs and make my sentences unnecessary larger. Strong words expressing better emotions and impact just doesn't come to my mind when needed. Sometimes I don't even understand which words will make certain emotions seem more powerful. How do I solve this problem?

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Read more.
Unfortunately, yes.

Just take in all media, anime, games, everything. Talk to people on scribblehub more.

Talking here taught me the word curt, which i didn't knew before. I learnt conceited from the anime "Daily Life of Highschool Boys"

Or, if you are like me, just create some words on your own.
I have been perpetuatingly stronching this bottle of water, and have been decidied. on it for past 6 hours!

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Can you suggest me something to read that will be help me understand the better choice of words for certain situations.
You can start by reading english books or watch english dubs of anime, or watch english movies. I know for a fact that Oozora Subaru, a vtuber from Hololive taught herself to speak english by watching western movies and shows.

SailusGebel

Can you suggest me something to read that will be help me understand the better choice of words for certain situations.
I can't, because there is no single book that will help you. Even a dictionary won't help as it won't teach you how to use those words appropriately. However, I can advise you to avoid reading a lot of translated stuff, as the quality of translations varies greatly. Write down some words you might use but can easily forget; that's what I do. Also, when you write, you can use a thesaurus for help.

BluePheasant

Unfortunately, yes.

Just take in all media, anime, games, everything. Talk to people on scribblehub more.

Talking here taught me the word curt, which i didn't knew before. I learnt conceited from the anime "Daily Life of Highschool Boys"

Or, if you are like me, just create some words on your own.
I have been perpetuatingly stronching this bottle of water, and have been decidied. on it for past 6 hours!
I know words...but the problem is that they don't come to mind while writing. Like yesterday while I was writing, I used a sentence like this,
"We were supposed to inspect the interior of the chamber as it lit up."
I know all these words obviously but still I had to google them up cz they just wont come to my mind. First I was thinking something like this,
"We were supposed to look inside the tomb as she throws the fire arrow into it"
I can't, because there is no single book that will help you. Even a dictionary won't help as it won't teach you how to use those words appropriately. However, I can advise you to avoid reading a lot of translated stuff, as the quality of translations varies greatly. Write down some words you might use but can easily forget; that's what I do. Also, when you write, you can use a thesaurus for help.
Ohh.. writing down the words should help i guess .also I didn't know about thesaurus... thnx man.

Last edited:

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
I know words...but the problem is that they don't come to mind while writing. Like yesterday while I was writing I used a sentence I like this,
I know all this words obviously but still I had to google them up cz they just wont come my mind. First I was thinking something like this,

Ohh.. writing down the words should help i guess .also I didn't know about thesaurus... thnx man.
I am a native English speaker and I sometimes I find words I didn't know existed. Take the word pontificate for example. It means to ponder, or think. I wrote the word down for help, but I also started using in day to day life. For these reasons I am known for my large vocabulary.

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
I know words...but the problem is that they don't come to mind while writing. Like yesterday while I was writing, I used a sentence like this,
I know all this words obviously but still I had to google them up cz they just wont come my mind. First I was thinking something like this,

My suggestion would be to just read an english novel. Anything is fine. English is my 3rd language but I'm quite good at it. Because in my country one person could at least speak 2-3 language.

But on how I learned english, I basically learn the from youtube videos. I watched english youtubers every single day. You don't even need to be too focused on it. Just have fun as you learn. For grammar you could learn it using things such as grammarly.

But basically don't be too pressured and just have fun. After all you only live once, it's fine to enjoy even learning sometimes.

Agentt

Thighs

Don't worry, just keep on writing, you will get used to it

BluePheasant

Thank you guys.. writing down words... using them in normal convos even if they feel weird... watching lots of YouTube...and not losing hope...
I got it xD

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
go to a bookstore, close your eyes, spin three times, and point. whatever you've just pointed at after you open your eyes, buy that book, go home and read it. repeat this each time you finish a book. sooner or later, your vocab will skyrocket.

what I mean is, read more. read a lot more. read a fuckton. what you need is experience. read like you'll die in your sleep if you don't.

JayDirex

@BluePheasant Hi Blue, I totally get you. Because even native speakers (like myself) strive to make concise and declarative sentences. Not overly wordy. And I do write in that style. DM me, I'll help you. And if want to see that concise style just read my first chapter. They Feed At Night

AND NO! You can't just "take in media." that's just noise. what you need is actual practice taking sentences and wording them for impact. (that also means less filtering, and learning to use active verbs.)

The boy was hitting the ball- is a WEAK sentence

The boy hit the ball- is an impactful active voice sentence.

- we'll talk

Last edited: