How Would Having One Weak Eye Affect Archery?

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Let's say, there's this guy, who's really good at archery. He hits the target perfectly in almost any condition, whether it be in the stormiest of environments, or the darkest of nights.

And it's all thanks to the special trait passed down to him, his eyes. His eyes allow him to see things differently from the normal archer, in ways that help him determine the perfect shot to take.

But let's say he loses one of his eyes. He gets it replaced, but with a weak, non-special eye. How would that affect his archery, and just seeing in general?

He still has his other "special eye", btw.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I mean, I'd imagine that it's still the same. You don't magically lose your vision when you lose one eye. Heck, your vision isn't even reduced by half if you lose one eye. The only way I'd imagine a flaw is that his peripheral is reduced. That's it.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Depth perception works by your two eyes viewing different images and your brain bringing them together to form one single image. This process is referred to as convergence. This explains why those with vision in only one eye do not have great depth perception.
I bet this could be the same. His depth perception is off because of it, and anything that regards his special powers and depth perception. But then again, while shooting, aren't we closing one eye to aim? :blob_unsure:

your character has an aimbot installed. there is not much logic involved here. he still has one with the aimbot installed. it can result into anything and still make 'sense'.

using one eye affects depth perception but only in close range (I think, I'm not sure). it might even go away as your brain adjusts to using one eye only. if you want to use this as a handicap then his depth perception is skewed and he starts missing. and maybe or maybe not its only temporary

TotallyHuman

From quora:
My NRA instructor explained that people normally have a dominant eye which is usually the right eye such as being right or left handed. More people are right handed than left. I say this because most guns are designed around right handed people. So sighting a gun we usually go to our dominant eye. I think most people shoot with one eye closed
But if his magical part of the magical eye (of love and justice Alice) is damaged, then it is a different question

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I did archery in highschool, so I guess that makes me qualified to answer this. People shoot with their dominant eye, it doesn’t always correspond to dominant hand, I’m right hand dominan, but shoot left handed because my left eye is dominant. If you lose your dominant eye, you would just switch to your other hand. Its generally not advised but there are some people who shoot with both eyes open, I knew a guy who was state champion and shot with both eyes, it’s rare and a lot harder for beginners, but it won’t negatively effect you if you practice enough.

HellerFeed

Having one eye, one loses perception 3d objects. So a person with one eye would look at world in 2d like you are watching a TV.
You can't get the same affect with closing your one eye and seeing with other, you need to lose an eye to feel that.

Aaqil

Cookies!
Having one eye, one loses perception 3d objects. So a person with one eye would look at world in 2d like you are watching a TV.
You can't get the same affect with closing your one eye and seeing with other, you need to lose an eye to feel that.
That is not how that works, :blob_blank: :blob_cookie:
You can still perceive depth, it just looks worse, :blob_cookie:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Isn't it like the case with your hands or legs? You might not be able to tell the difference from the dominant and non-dominant eyes but for a professional, there would be problems that a normal person can't tell but a professional will.

Like, when you lift an item and it looks balance on a spectator's perspective but a professional lifter can see a tiny detail that an average person can't see such as the difference of the force of the hands being used like one hand is lifting the item higher than the other hand.

As for the eyes, even if one eyes turns ordinary, a person can't easily get used to the difference of an ordinary eye and extraordinary eye. Like a shot would turn out a difference of the target not reaching the necessary hit which it was only a millimeter difference between shots.

Tentacult1664

I got a one weak eye and when both eyes are open, my vision is dogshit. I have to close the weaker one to get a better vision, but hey considering its fiction, you can just bullshido your way through (unless you're on royalroad, if so, prepare to dogpiled baby)

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It could be there's not much special about the eye itself but in the way his brain interprets what his eyes receive. It could take a lot of time to rewire to the new eye, though.

DarkDuck09

Let's say, there's this guy, who's really good at archery. He hits the target perfectly in almost any condition, whether it be in the stormiest of environments, or the darkest of nights.

And it's all thanks to the special trait passed down to him, his eyes. His eyes allow him to see things differently from the normal archer, in ways that help him determine the perfect shot to take.

But let's say he loses one of his eyes. He gets it replaced, but with a weak, non-special eye. How would that affect his archery, and just seeing in general?

He still has his other "special eye", btw.

It depends on the type of bow. If the guy relies on bow sights (modern bows) as opposed to muscle memory then losing an eye would probably affect it. If the bowman relies on muscle, which from your description of him I'd say is what he relies on, losing one eye would do nothing.

Traditional archery is a whole lot of muscle memory rather than pin point aiming. The way I was taught to aim a traditional bow was to essentially just point your fist at the target, then make sure your draw hand comes back to the same place every time and loose.

The one problem he may have is working through his new perspective since his vision would be skewed to the work eye, but that's a week of practice, tops.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
So archery is possible with one eye, it just Har as fuck to do. Almost every human has depth perception, this is done by your two eyes working together to measure the light waves the receive. This is possible with a single eye but requires practice. Next assuming his eye is an analog of the Sharingan, mixed with an aim bot.... I doubt it'd cause too much trouble. If he trains heavily then it's not a prob

Jemini

Well, I have never trained in archery, but I have trained in hurled weapons. (Knife throwing and such.) If they are in any way similar, eyesight is really not the key factor in your accuracy. It's all about training and developing an intuition for the distance.

This being the case, I'd say suddenly getting his eye replaced would make a HUGE freaking difference at first, but only at first. After a bit of training, he will be able to adjust his intuition to better fit his new eyesight and cover for the differences, making him just as good as he was previously.

That said, the part I would take issue with is the initial premise of his archery being so good because of his special eyes. The special eyes would maybe allow him to find his target if it was camouflaged or otherwise hiding in some way, but it shouldn't do anything to help make his accuracy any better than any other archer once the target is found.

The one thing that CAN give an archer a rather distinct advantage over other archers is stronger back and shoulder muscles. Stronger muscles means you can hold your bow steadier, and thus aim better. It also allows you to use heavier draw bows, which have better range and power, and that additional power would also allow the arrows to fly straighter at medium ranges. Our age of fire-arms have given projectile weapons in general the image of being a weapon for a physically weaker person, but in reality, the bow is the weapon that actually demands the very absolute highest physical strength of any weapon ever invented.

Things like swords actually have a very low reliance on physical strength and are all about positioning and footwork, but archery really is all about the strength of your back muscles and the constant training.