I can change a Chinese novel character with my own and use same setting?

Manami

I read a Chinese novel and I liked the novel cultivation, world and some arc, but characters were bad and some only show for some chapters then disappeared. So I can write same events of novel while change the characters and name of place and events.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
That still falls under the idea of plagiarism.

the process or practice of using another person's ideas or work and pretending that it is your own:

Changing the names still counts as plagiarism. You need to do a bit more to say it is not plagiarized but inspired by said work.

On the other hand, I don't know how hard they are with the stuff and would come after you or not. But I feel you. It was the same reason I wrote my first book because I got fed up with cultivation tropes and unsatisfying endings.

Manami

If I change whole characters personality and skip all the annoying young master, third rate villains as well as make MC love interest who have her life. Then it's okay.

The thing I liked about novel was idea of some tournaments and world building, and event like a demon beast were attacking city or demons and cultivation realm etc..

so if I add tournament and world building with some my own idea, then it's okay.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
l
That still falls under the idea of plagiarism.

Changing the names still counts as plagiarism. You need to do a bit more to say it is not plagiarized but inspired by said work.

On the other hand, I don't know how hard they are with the stuff and would come after you or not. But I feel you. It was the same reason I wrote my first book because I got fed up with cultivation tropes and unsatisfying endings.
lol when the fuck has CHINA ever given a fuck about plagiarism? smh half their stories are plagiarised.
I read a Chinese novel and I liked the novel cultivation, world and some arc, but characters were bad and some only show for some chapters then disappeared. So I can write same events of novel while change the characters and name of place and events.
you can use the exact same everything except the characters. And even then you have some leeway. Remember highschool?
"Hey bro lemme copy your homework."
"Sure man, just change it up a lil so the teacher dont find out."

Last edited:

assassin0224

I just want to leave the following wisdom I heard somewhere else: "In regards to copyright, if you feel like you have to ask whether you can do that, you most likely can't do that." This should also apply to plagiarism.

Corty

lol when the fuck has CHINA ever given a fuck about plagiarism? smh half their stories are plagiarised.
Everyone steals shit so I am going to steal shit. Sure. I get your point but still. As reader I would expect some form of originality. If you go to the length to write different characters, keep some that was written out, axe some that you didn't like, change the flow of events... then you already have to change future events that your previous changes has an effect on. It is like a butterfly effect in the end. Then why not write your own by then?

Manami

Everyone steals shit so I am going to steal shit. Sure. I get your point but still. As reader I would expect some form of originality. If you go to the length to write different characters, keep some that was written out, axe some that you didn't like, change the flow of events... then you already have to change future events that your previous changes has an effect on. It is like a butterfly effect in the end. Then why not write your own by then?
Yes, the ending I have in mind is completely different from the novel I read, I just didn't know that uploading similar first few chapters same as the novel i read could cause any problems or not.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
bottom line, things wont STAY plagiarised unless that is the specific goal in mind for quick popularity. You can copy all you want, but sometime down the line, often very fact, you'll include your own spin on it. Thats why i encourage plagiarism, cuz oftentimes it doesnt STAY plagiarism and just becomes inspiration. Or you just think, "i can do this better than he did" or at least "I would like it if this happened instead"
And then their own style will get mixed in, making the story their own.

I've done exactly that, too.

Like i get what you're saying, im just in the camp of people not being able to help including their own spin on things.

MagicalPen

Here's my two scents. Do it as stepping stone to improving your own world-building and plotting and discipline. Forget salvaging a half-baked story out there in the internet. There are thousand much better stories. People do not care as much as you think. Go ahead. Do it. Just do it. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday, you said tomorrow. So just do it. Make your dreams come true. Just do it.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
That is called a fanfiction. If you post it in here, better mark it as such.

MagicalPen

That is called a fanfiction. If you post it in here, better mark it as such.
No, my friend, I'm afraid to say you got it mixed up. Fanfiction would be keeping names and changing event. This guy wants to do the opposite. It's plag. Hopefully, he won't served be any DMCA.

Good luck! Just do it! Do it now! Do it man. What you waiting?

Sadness flies on the wings of the morning and out of the heart of darkness comes the light so just do it.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown
So just do it; Make your dreams come true.

Corty

bottom line, things wont STAY plagiarised unless that is the specific goal in mind for quick popularity. You can copy all you want, but sometime down the line, often very fact, you'll include your own spin on it. Thats why i encourage plagiarism, cuz oftentimes it doesnt STAY plagiarism and just becomes inspiration. Or you just think, "i can do this better than he did" or at least "I would like it if this happened instead"

Like i get what you're saying, im just in the camp of people not being able to help including their own spin on things.
Getting inspired by a story is not the same as plagiarizing. You are encouraging people to write their stories with established tropes of the genre they choose. That is not plagiarizing. And I completly agree with you on that notion.

Plagiarizing would be if I wrote Terry Potter who is a boy who has a scar but it is pentagramm shaped because of magic and shit. He also attends Highwarts and meets with Tom and Sermione who he becomes friends with. Not to mention Bumblemore The Gray. That is what plagiarizing means.

Writing about a boy who can cast magic and left oprhaned by an evil warlock, is being inspired by. The two things differ, even if its evident what/who gave you do idea to write said story. After that it falls upont the author to give the story enough spins so the reader doesn't go 'hey, I recognize this!'.

The other route is just doing a fanfic.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
That counts as plagiarism.
If I change whole characters personality and skip all the annoying young master, third rate villains as well as make MC love interest who have her life. Then it's okay.

The thing I liked about novel was idea of some tournaments and world building, and event like a demon beast were attacking city or demons and cultivation realm etc..

so if I add tournament and world building with some my own idea, then it's okay.
OTOH, this feels like you inspiring yourself on someone else's setting and creating a whole new story while making use of a similar setting... This is fine.

Basically, it's okay to inspire yourself in something to create a story... If you copy-paste the entire setting, it's probably still plagiarism, but if you just use that setting as a basis and then change it to fit your story, then it's all good.

TotallyHuman

fanfictions exist

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You can do it in private, as a writing exercise.

Nekroz

I think we all know what plagiarism is.

At face value, what your describing sounds a lot like plagiarism. But so does most of fiction.

What matters is if you are writing Your own story. If there is enough of you in your story that when I read yours side by side with the original and can't call them the same, then you should be good.

(The now trademarked: imaginary thumbs up!)

hijauKuning

I have also done it. Oftentimes? Nah, I can't even imagine myself getting caught doing plagiarism.

But you see, that's just pure optimism. When someone borrows your homework/paper to copy it, usually we assume that they'll at least do the bare minimum of changing and make it different. But that's impossible. Somehow, this line of thought never occurrs to these people. Your name? Must be part of the homework they're trying to copy---so they copy your name in their homework.

As much as I also like people to imitate others' works for a change of pace/inspiration, but when we say plagiarism, at most all you get is something like Qidian Webnovel in their early days where the site didn't bother to translate their works and copy-pasted other fanslatations, or their new original writers thought they're being slick for copy-pasting translated/original works while pretending they're the author.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Plenty of full budget movies, published works, and shows are all loose copies of already existing things meant to capitalize on a trend. I don’t see the need to hold op to a standard that actual professionals aren’t even held to.

Just try to be inspired more than actually copying, and don’t rip anything word for word and you should be fine.