I don't know where I'm going with my life anymore.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
So, I work as a chef. For those of you who don't know, the working hours of a chef is plain terrible, to say the least. You have to work on weekends and public holidays too. It's not helping that I have to study part-time to finish my degree study.

When I first start to work, I was pretty enthusiastic. After all, I always had an interest in cooking. Not even the huge workload and the long working hours can put me down. However, things had been changing these few months. I started to lose interest in my job, and going to work everyday became a drag. I was constantly hoping that time would go faster so that my shift would end. All I cared are going back to my house to play my games and write my novels.

At first, I cared a lot whenever I made mistakes during my shift. I would feel really guilty and keep on reminding myself not to make the same mistakes. Now? I just didn't care. I would think that if I didn't mess up, good. If I did, well, whatever.

I could tell that my colleagues were always sick of me making mistakes only a beginner would make (I've been working at the same restaurant for almost 10 months now btw), and I wanted to improve so that I could stop being a burden to them. Not anymore. A few days ago, one of them straight up asked me whether I'm putting my heart into my work. I gave him a half-hearted yes, while at the same time thinking, "I want to know the answer to that question, too."

I know I'm being a huge baby here, But I can't help it. I'm 30, still single, still living with my parents, doesn't have a safe amount of money in my bank account, and I'm causing nothing but trouble to my people around me. I'm slowly losing interest in literally everything, including on living. I was playing my games just now, and a random episode of depression hit me out of nowhere. I started to suffocate. It got so bad I stopped playing and come here so that I could write this with the hope that it would help. Well, it didn't. my chest is still heavy. Right now it's one in the morning where I'm from, my shift will start at 10, and I don't feel like sleeping since once I wake up the miserable cycle will begin anew.

That's all from me. If you read until the end, thanks for reading.

Vnator

One thing I've heard is that, whether or not you'll make a change, you'll still be 30-something whether or not you do it.

So it really is never too late to make a change if you want to. It's easy for me to say, but finish that degree and find a job that pays well with decent hours that you enjoy!

JayDirex

So, I work as a chef. For those of you who don't know, the working hours of a chef is plain terrible, to say the least. You have to work on weekends and public holidays too. It's not helping that I have to study part-time to finish my degree study.

When I first start to work, I was pretty enthusiastic. After all, I always had an interest in cooking. Not even the huge workload and the long working hours can put me down. However, things had been changing these few months. I started to lose interest in my job, and going to work everyday became a drag. I was constantly hoping that time would go faster so that my shift would end. All I cared are going back to my house to play my games and write my novels.

At first, I cared a lot whenever I made mistakes during my shift. I would feel really guilty and keep on reminding myself not to make the same mistakes. Now? I just didn't care. I would think that if I didn't mess up, good. If I did, well, whatever.

I could tell that my colleagues were always sick of me making mistakes only a beginner would make (I've been working at the same restaurant for almost 10 months now btw), and I wanted to improve so that I could stop being a burden to them. Not anymore. A few days ago, one of them straight up asked me whether I'm putting my heart into my work. I gave him a half-hearted yes, while at the same time thinking, "I want to know the answer to that question, too."

I know I'm being a huge baby here, But I can't help it. I'm 30, still single, still living with my parents, doesn't have a safe amount of money in my bank account, and I'm causing nothing but trouble to my people around me. I'm slowly losing interest in literally everything, including on living. I was playing my games just now, and a random episode of depression hit me out of nowhere. I started to suffocate. It got so bad I stopped playing and come here so that I could write this with the hope that it would help. Well, it didn't. my chest is still heavy. Right now it's one in the morning where I'm from, my shift will start at 10, and I don't feel like sleeping since once I wake up the miserable cycle will begin anew.

I hear you brother. You're reaching out. And I'd advise you to keep that spark of wanting something better. like, when you finish uni you can seek a better type of job. But you already know that.

As for savings advice, I have a fool proof plan for you!!

I am not playing with you:

Go to US Treasury Direct (Yes, the Federal Gov: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/) and open an account so that you can buy treasury bonds. and the reason I say fool proof is because when you buy bonds it is NOT EASY to cash them in before their maturity date. Meaning, you won't be able to dip into your savings willy-nilly and spend it all. So you'll have no choice but to save when you buy the bond (and the interest the bonds are paying is GREAT RIGHT NOW!!)

And this goes for every US citizen - SERIES I Treasury bonds are paying 9.6 % through November. Only a complete FOOL would not buy bonds right now.

So yeah, everytime you get $20, buy a bond on the website and let it add up. (52 weeks times $20= 1040 plus 7% interest = $1100 at the end of the year.

Bro, you got this. (and if you make it $22 dollars, that's another $111 with the interest.

THIS GOES FOR ALL OF YOU. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MONEY

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004

isnt it depression? try to do some therapy. try to think why u stop liking work as a chef? maybe u are just frustrated because u stagnate try new things! if the problem is motivation to work u can always try to make small goals!

Macha

Not a Klutz

You could be experiencing work burnout. I fixed mine by resetting my mind to from where I started working. The enthusiasm and interest from ten years ago returned once I remember why I started or why I used to like my job.

My chest is still heavy though, but for a different reason.

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□

CHEFS ARE AMAZING
Sorry-
but I think it's super cool that you are but really just pursue your dream. Currently I work at a fast food place and I just want to be an author. I've always wanted a book that I've written to be made into a movie.

Snowyflakes

It may be indeed helpful to go to a therapist. It could help you find out if it is depression or something else, why you started having these feelings, and how to resolve it/ them.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I agree with Theirl.

Your passion for work is overhadowed by depression. The stress accumulated from working many hours and during holidays is piling up on you.

Think like this: You've been holding on for 10 long months and didn't think about quitting. A person who is fickle would have disappeared after stumbling upon the first smallest hurdle, BUT YOU WITHSTOOD IT. That alone is more than most people can handle.

Being a chef is never easy. Working with people is never easy. It's mentally taxing. When you get home you want to have time for yourself, but on the other hand you also need social contact to refresh your mind.

You're tired and your thoughts are narrowed to the negative, hopeless emotions.

But I tell you, you will get over it. You can change your job or finish your current degree. The world won't fall apart no matter what you choose. And forget your age, it's just a number and doesn't limit you in your capabilities.

Living with your parents is not a shame, it's economic. The more the merrier. :blob_evil_two:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
sounds like burnout depression. I was there last year. In this economic climate, stay with your parents, I see a lot of guys moving back in with their folks so I think it'll be pretty common soon.

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.

Was in a similar Situation and honestly after 2 years of bullshit I just Said fuck it and took something completly different, don't regret it.
You should try the same.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm 30, still single, still living with my parents
How is your relationship with your parents? Do they treat you as the adult you are, or are they clinging too tightly to the image they have of you as a child? How much do they involve you in household decisions? Are you not dating because you know they won't let you have any privacy with someone special, or are there other reasons?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Speaking of burnout, I'm surprised nobody suggested a vacation?
You can go on a day trip, chat with some of the locals and eat some new foods. If one day isn't enough, you can go once a month or so, to different places even.

Any sort of change to your routine should help, though. Since you mentioned them, you could try dating, spending the night at a friend's house(non-sexually/ like a sleepover), or starting a patreon for your stories.

And do make sure you take care of yourself. You mentioned a lack of sleep, and that's a serious problem. Even if it means you can't do some of the things you enjoy, make sure you're eating a variety of healthy foods, drinking water, and sleeping for at least eight hours. Maybe go to a spa, get some exercise, and get a medical exam, as well. Just to make sure everything's running green.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

True passion for a craft only comes from your competence and experience with the craft. Not vague feelings of thinking it’s cool and a good idea. Do something you are competent at, not something you are falsely passionate about

Africanchieftainsson

Last in line of succession

I'm a chef too dude. Trust me. We've all been there.

Currently I work at a fast food place and I just want to be an author. .
What relationships do restaurants have with web fictions? Scientists can't seem to figure it out!

Mandark

You sound depressed… and not to sound harsh but it’s understandable especially if you’re in that situation as a man.

For what it’s worth, a few years ago I was in the same boat. I worked at IHOP as a cook, then moved and got a job at Hardee’s - it sucked. The schedule sucked, the fact I always smelled like food sucked, the fact I only made enough to cover my apartments rent sucked. The fact I didn’t have a washing machine in my apartment sucked.

I had no older men in my life to help me understand my own value or give me advice, and that sucked. (As pathetic and it’s sounds, I got my advice from YouTube - and it changed my life.)

Well anyways, after a LOT of procrastinations I made it through and this is how.

I started by first getting out of the restaurant industry.

Seriously, just take the hour and put in an application at Pepsi/wherever. I know it’s hard to get the motivation, but just look on Indeed to see local job listings… there will be a lot.

Apply for a job that works 1st shift, so you get off between 2-4pm.

My first non food job was at a Frito-Lay warehouse, and despite the money being a lot better it was way worse than Hardee’s.

But what getting that job at Frito-lay did was give me motivation, and I put in applications everywhere (even places I know I didn’t qualify for).
Eventually I landed myself in my current job, I have a mortgage and a newish car and things are pretty good.

TLDR: My main advice is to get out of the restaurant industry as fast as possible unless you’re a Michelin Chef.

Linkedlord

I hear you brother. You're reaching out. And I'd advise you to keep that spark of wanting something better. like, when you finish uni you can seek a better type of job. But you already know that.

As for savings advice, I have a fool proof plan for you!!

I am not playing with you:

Go to US Treasury Direct (Yes, the Federal Gov: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/) and open an account so that you can buy treasury bonds. and the reason I say fool proof is because when you buy bonds it is NOT EASY to cash them in before their maturity date. Meaning, you won't be able to dip into your savings willy-nilly and spend it all. So you'll have no choice but to save when you buy the bond (and the interest the bonds are paying is GREAT RIGHT NOW!!)

And this goes for every US citizen - SERIES I Treasury bonds are paying 9.6 % through November. Only a complete FOOL would not buy bonds right now.

So yeah, everytime you get $20, buy a bond on the website and let it add up. (52 weeks times $20= 1040 plus 7% interest = $1100 at the end of the year.

Bro, you got this. (and if you make it $22 dollars, that's another $111 with the interest.

THIS GOES FOR ALL OF YOU. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR MONEY
Yeahhhhhhhhhh , no financial advice online is not something i would trust with savings and stuff, consult a professional. That's generally safer than taking the advice of random strangers