Writing I need guides and tips for writing a Battle Academy novel

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Just look at a piece of paper and start writing. Kek
1641075088643.png

Still waiting for another chapter to go over

TheOneWho

Diversity is the key, don't just have one kind of power. Have smart people, strong people, sneaky people, and many different types of strength. Having every battle just be a punch-out causes the battles to feel the same.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Diversity is the key, don't just have one kind of power. Have smart people, strong people, sneaky people, and many different types of strength. Having every battle just be a punch-out causes the battles to feel the same.
I think I am doing decent about that by keeping the main team diverse with each character having an ability and combat style others don't have.

BigHoodieBoy

Dont forget the mysterious hot girl that ends up being part alien due to some experiment, there is always one of those.
Don’t forgot to have her mysterious twin brother who was also experimented on to be on the aliens side with no memories.

Temple

Since it's a Battle Academy genre, put in actual lessons. Tons of stories with school arcs (Battle Academy and not) kind of forget the lessons. Sure, there are a few lessons at the start, but eventually, the "school" aspect is forgotten. Have class scenes, and then the battle scenes will be the application of the lessons. More often than not, class scenes are just used to show off that the MC is the best ever, even better than the teacher, and then there are no other class scenes after that. Don't make class scenes just an avenue for the MC to show off. If this is a serious Battle Academy, then the teachers should be badass people that knows their shit. Tldr, don't forget the Academy part.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Since it's a Battle Academy genre, put in actual lessons. Tons of stories with school arcs (Battle Academy and not) kind of forget the lessons. Sure, there are a few lessons at the start, but eventually, the "school" aspect is forgotten. Have class scenes, and then the battle scenes will be the application of the lessons. More often than not, class scenes are just used to show off that the MC is the best ever, even better than the teacher, and then there are no other class scenes after that. Don't make class scenes just an avenue for the MC to show off. If this is a serious Battle Academy, then the teachers should be badass people that knows their shit. Tldr, don't forget the Academy part.

I prepared plenty of war veteran badass teachers and future idols for the main cast.

But I do lack experience in writing class scenes, which I try to gain by experimenting in this story and reading other good examples (if you have one, I'll gladly read it)

Temple

(if you have one, I'll gladly read it)
I can't really think of any right now, and that's mostly because all class scenes I can recall in web/light novels, manga, anime etc. are all about the MC just showing off in class. Harry Potter books is good on the exposition side and worldbuilding side of classes though.
And since this is a military battle academy, you can try starship troopers book. It's a pretty old book, but I'm sure you'll find a free pdf online or something. What's good about that book is that it has badass teachers, and there's heavy military propaganda in classes. While it doesn't really go in depth in tactics fighting the aliens, I'm sure you'll find good inspiration on making badass military teachers there and how they indoctrinate the class.

EternalSunset0

To actually contribute to the topic, though. You played Trails of Cold Steel? The first game, I think, handles the military academy part well. Most of it is you living the student life actually (classes, trainings, some field trips to know more about the world)

I think if what you want is a more "complete" experience instead of what Temple said, that's what I would recommend since a lot of the first game does involve worldbuilding and exploration, getting to know the world and the politics around it.

I also think having charismatic teachers help. It's a reason why I love Rokudenashi so much. The girls are cute, but the teacher protagonist is also cool. He's got some standard anime protag tropes checked, but watching the show, he also feels like that teacher you can be friends with. Like, I'd probably be annoyed at him every now and then, but he does exude that "cool big bro who actually cares for and knows you" aura.

HokuouTenrou

@HokuouTenrou might be able to help
Unfortunately I don't think I can help the OP, especially if it's a serious-ish setting lol

Back to topic, rule 0 as always, read tons, steal ideas, and tweak the tropes as you see fit (yes, Cold Steel is probably a good template). As for the maybes,
The girls. Very important. We probably got used to overpowered protags, but back in the day, fans wanted audio drama and image songs of the girls (OK, that was in media-mix context, buuut). Make the heroines so interesting that readers will argue who is best girl for a long time and why she deserves the MC Bowl.
The protag. Don't make him (assuming it's a guy) perfect. Make him 'merely' good yet has something special. If he's perfect, there's no point for him to enroll (like others pointed out). But make him special enough that the teachers go "Hmm, interesting, he has potential." and (most importantly) the girls go "Hmm, I want him."
School events for romcom/ecchi hijinks. Unless you wanted to go real grimdark, they will always find their ways in. Always. Use them. Slower, non-battle scenes might be able to flesh the characters. If not, then think of it as a breather.

I don't think I have anything remotely clever, so there.