I think I misinterpreted what a "webnovel" is.

Eclectic_Asininity

I was under the assumption that if you just wrote the book beforehand and uploaded the chapters, it wasn't a "webnovel."

I genuinely cannot do the whole "upload chapters as they are written" thing. I don't get how people can manage to do that and still have a decent novel. I'm constantly going back to rework previous chapters and sometimes changing entire plotlines to make the story flow better.Then you account for the editing process, taking future plots, characters, and ideas into account. It makes it very hard to create a good story.

I think I might just be stupid and making the process more challenging for no reason.

LrR8eC

Following along a predetermined plotline seems like a very hard thing to do for me. Some people are better at writing a certain way than others.

You don't seem stupid, merely overthinking things.
We schizos must help each other. :s_wink:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Following along a predetermined plotline seems like a very hard thing to do for me. Some people are better at writing a certain way than others.

You don't seem stupid, merely overthinking things.
We schizos must help each other. :s_wink:
Yeah, it's hard for me to use a predetermined plotline, especially when I can just write all in one go. Setting up a predetermined plotline, to me, only seems to limit the writer's creativity and ability to create something interesting. Yeah, during the editing process, I go through it and make sure everything lines up properly, deal with any loopholes, and properly flesh out the story but that isn't really necessary during a first draft. First drafts are always messy, convoluted, and fairly shit no matter who it is. That's why some of us have editors or spend days editing before posting a chapter. Some though have become exceptionally skilled at writing and editing all in one day like sociopaths.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Following along a predetermined plotline seems like a very hard thing to do for me.
This is 100% accurate for me, I can't do it well at all. For me, I just create a world and characters, then watch what happens and write that. It is kinda annoying though, because practically none of my plans are ever followed. Even before I wrote the first chapter, I was arguing with the characters to get them to at least slightly follow my intent. >.<

Paul_Tromba

This is 100% accurate for me, I can't do it well at all. For me, I just create a world and characters, then watch what happens and write that. It is kinda annoying though, because practically none of my plans are ever followed. Even before I wrote the first chapter, I was arguing with the characters to get them to at least slightly follow my intent. >.<
Yeah, it is really annoying when the characters won't do what you want despite being their author. Tried explaining it to some friends once and their responses were akin to "but you're the writer, just write it how you want to write it." Sadly, it doesn't work that way so all you can do is guide them by force or by making every wrong choice lead to some punishment so they learn their lesson and not make the same mistakes as last time.

Eclectic_Asininity

This is only my opinion, so feel free to ignore it, but the thing you want to do won't work. The book, in your definition, doesn't work on sites that publish web novels. Even if you start publishing it once you finish writing it, it won't work.
Yeah I get what you mean. I think I can make something that will work for this format. It just means the main stuff I work on won't be uploaded to here.

UberNuber

I write a chapter every 2 days then upload, and I have no saved up chapters.

I edit as I write it... sometimes I made a mistake in editing and when coming back to read the chapter, I'll see a rough patch where I had rearranged a couple paragraphs.

I have an outline of the story in 'arcs', I roughly know the ending of each arc and have an idea of where I want to go.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I release chapters after writing them and plan on going back later to fix things. It's how I have fun. I do still write out the plan for the chapters coming up, but only a few of those things make it in. They just don't make sense when I'm actually writing out the chapters.

If you plan on completing your novel before uploading it, I'd probably suggest not releasing it all at once, since you won't get nearly as much veiwership. If you don't care about views then it doesn't matter.

Write how you like to write, if it's posted in chapters on a website I'd say it's a webnovel.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Yeah, it's hard for me to use a predetermined plotline, especially when I can just write all in one go. Setting up a predetermined plotline, to me, only seems to limit the writer's creativity and ability to create something interesting. Yeah, during the editing process, I go through it and make sure everything lines up properly, deal with any loopholes, and properly flesh out the story but that isn't really necessary during a first draft. First drafts are always messy, convoluted, and fairly shit no matter who it is. That's why some of us have editors or spend days editing before posting a chapter. Some though have become exceptionally skilled at writing and editing all in one day like sociopaths.
Count me as one of those psychopaths! There's literally no other way I can write and post a story; hence, I do lots of live-edits to the chapters I've previously posted. I'm just used to it at this point. Working this way isn't impossible, but it's chaotic, that's for sure. Maybe even a bit psychotic.

Paul_Tromba

Count me as one of those psychopaths! There's literally no other way I can write and post a story; hence, I do lots of live-edits to the chapters I've previously posted. I'm just used to it at this point. Working this way isn't impossible, but it's chaotic, that's for sure. Maybe even a bit psychotic.
Firstly, I said sociopaths, not psychopaths. There's a difference. Second, I never said it was bad, it just takes a certain type of person to do it. However, those that are skilled enough to write, edit, and release a chapter all within 24 hours while doing it habitually would have to be in a certain mental state because no sane person would subject themselves to that, and I speak from personal experience on that. You can do it, but it isn't healthy.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Anything that’s posted online first before publishing is a “webnovel” it’s just the majority of people who post webnovels post as they go.

This often leads to long drawn out stories because an author doesn’t know what to write next so extends scenes.

I have noticed this a lot with most webnovels. They end on cliffhangers and often skirt all over the place and become repetitive.

It would make for a good drama/soap opera but it’s annoying to read and follow unless you have way too much time on your hands.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Firstly, I said sociopaths, not psychopaths. There's a difference. Second, I never said it was bad, it just takes a certain type of person to do it. However, those that are skilled enough to write, edit, and release a chapter all within 24 hours while doing it habitually would have to be in a certain mental state because no sane person would subject themselves to that, and I speak from personal experience on that. You can do it, but it isn't healthy.
Ah, I thought it said psychopaths. Sorry for the mixup. As for the second part, I didn't say it was bad. Sorry if my words made you think I was jabbing at you. I didn't get the writing and editing and finishing a chapter all in one day, though. I thought you meant writing and editing in one day in general, as in doing that over a number of days like you said with editing, till the chapter's done.

Last edited: