Ice Age Creatures in Fantasy Novels

Venusaur26

Some of you may notice that the Direwolves are actually creatures that existed in the most recent Ice Age.
You may blame George R. R. Martin for many to use Direwolves in fantasy stories, but this makes me wonder, what other Ice Age creatures makes the most sense to be included in fantasy stories?
Saber-Toothed Tigers, or Sabertooths is already something in my mind.
I also have the Megalodon in mind because of how myth-like it is to the point there’s conspiracy theories that it still lives in the abyssal waters today.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'd like to see this fucker survive an Ice Javelin Hailstorm to the throat

Western42

....I may be Insane....
Some of you may notice that the Direwolves are actually creatures that existed in the most recent Ice Age.
You may blame George R. R. Martin for many to use Direwolves in fantasy stories, but this makes me wonder, what other Ice Age creatures makes the most sense to be included in fantasy stories?
Skyrim has mammoths.

Jemini

errr... I'm pretty sure Dungeons and Dragons pre-dates George R. R. Martain's popularity, and they've had a strong presence of Direwolves since the earliest versions.

In fact, you can also blame D&D's Direrats for turning the term "dire" from something just attached to direwolves to something that generalizes to monstrous versions of almost any creature in the animal kingdom.

joeblow12

If your fantasy is based on the idea that our earth had,(or even in secret still has) magic, then earlier sapient variants can be constructed as some kind of magic race.
So neanderthals, because they have larger brains can maybe be elves. With earlier homo types being orcs.

Daitengu

There's some overlap between when Atlantis could have existed and dire wolves. If you consider the younger dryad impact hypothesis.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Steppe bison, big bison with nice fur coat.
Giant beaver, giant beaver with nice fur coat.

Too bad there isn't a giant squirrel.