I'd like to ask your opinion...

Should I divide my chapters into several parts?

• Yes

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

Hans.Trondheim

Mr Negative | Avoid at all cost
It depends, I usually end my chapter with a cliffhanger, so if there's a lot of scene on that chapter and you could cut it to make a cliffhanger, you could keep the readers keep going chapter by chapter but if you cut you novel chapter in an uninteresting end of chapter, it would not be good.
Dong, not connected to the topic, but would you like to cut down the size of your link to your story? I can help. It's kinda huge for thread replies...

2wordsperminute

This all seems so strange to me. Longer chapters are more satisfying to read in my opinion? Small chapters have built-in breaks, pauses, even if it's just to move to the next page, so you don't get in as deep and it's just- unsatisfying. To those of us who are slave to the reading trance. Plus, for short chapters, you have to land on a place to end, and then in the next, a beginning that reminds the reader where you are, it means that each individual 'thought' is smaller, broken up, and thus they feel weaker. And if you don't do that, it's even worse, because it's just so jarring.
I got addicted to that little hit from going to the next chapter after reading manga and so I'm a spider so what, so I have to disagree with going to the next page being bad. Especially since pages exist on physical books, where it takes slightly more effort to turn the page.

sm_yesa

Dong, not connected to the topic, but would you like to cut down the size of your link to your story? I can help. It's kinda huge for thread replies...
Sadly I can't resize the image I've been trying to do it 😢.

SailusGebel

There is no reason to divide your chapters since you upload volumes, not chapters.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I'd say that you can break them down and release chapters more often to increase how many people see it.

Hans.Trondheim

Sadly I can't resize the image I've been trying to do it 😢.
Well, you can resize your image here in the forum.
>Upload your image
>Click on it. There should be little squares in the corners of the image to confirm you selected it
>At the bottom part, there should be a dialogue box with several options. Select the one with a crossed arrows
>Input your preferred image size according to height and width.
There is no reason to divide your chapters since you upload volumes, not chapters.
Though many readers can't read through my 4k chapters, even when I update by volumes. Maybe my format is catered to printed books, but online readers have shorter attention spans.
I write chapters to be around 1.5k words
Kinda torn with the count, especially when I want to show the settings. I can't show (applying the five senses) within 1.5k words and below since my work is fantasy.
I'd say that you can break them down and release chapters more often to increase how many people see it.
I don't know if it's me or Wattpad, but I did similar, and the views are lower.

Well, tbf @Paul_Tromba , it's prolly a 'me' problem, since I write for myself and not to cater to readers. Still I'd like to know the better route to take.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Though many readers can't read through my 4k chapters, even when I update by volumes. Maybe my format is catered to printed books, but online readers have shorter attention spans.
Hm, true. But then you might as well not upload it by volumes, at least here.

Hans.Trondheim

Hm, true. But then you might as well not upload it by volumes, at least here.
Honestly, I fear uploading those here, since there are a lot of noisy harem-isekai haters here, not to mention the cultural difference.

I'll think about it, though with the current trends, I'll stay off uploading my works in the main site.

SailusGebel

Honestly, I fear uploading those here, since there are a lot of noisy harem-isekai haters here, not to mention the cultural difference.

I'll think about it, though with the current trends, I'll stay off uploading my works in the main site.
Or you can ask someone else to upload it, someone you trust. That way you won't need to handle reviews or comments.

Hans.Trondheim

Or you can ask someone else to upload it, someone you trust. That way you won't need to handle reviews or comments.
@Assurbanipal_II already did it for me (though for different circumstance) though as always I don't want to burden anyone.

And, nah. At least, not for now. SH's audience is getting nastier by the minute, so I'll avoid unnecessary stress.

sm_yesa

Well, you can resize your image here in the forum.
>Upload your image
>Click on it. There should be little squares in the corners of the image to confirm you selected it
>At the bottom part, there should be a dialogue box with several options. Select the one with a crossed arrows
>Input your preferred image size according to height and width.

Thanks man it really help me
And, nah. At least, not for now. SH's audience is getting nastier by the minute, so I'll avoid unnecessary stress.
Yeah, If I remember last two years gender bender and smut is not that trend, but now it's everywhere. Like woah

Mortrexo

The ideal is an average of 2000 words per chapter. It's the equivalent of a 10-minute YouTube video: long enough not to feel short but short enough not to feel tedious.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
I got addicted to that little hit from going to the next chapter after reading manga and so I'm a spider so what, so I have to disagree with going to the next page being bad. Especially since pages exist on physical books, where it takes slightly more effort to turn the page.
More effort to turn the page, maybe, but you don't have to wait for that page to load, and it continues more seamlessly because it doesn't end and start again, it cuts through the middle of a sentence, or a paragraph, or between two paragraphs, but the line of thought remains constant, rather than having to be broken off for the end of the chapter and then having to be reintroduced in the next, for the sake of those who aren't reading all the chapters back-to-back.
The other thing you said is completely valid though.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
You know I write chapters @ 4k words on average, with the longest @ 6.7k. And of course, there are readers who can't digest all of those in one sitting (I mean, per chapter).

My question is, should I divide my chapters into several parts (like Part 1 and 2) with 1k-2k words each?
Well, how many readers do you have that enjoy reading a full chapter?

Compare them to your slow-digesting readers, how many are they?

If you think more people are enjoying the full chapter, then be it.

If most of your readers are dyslexic (JK), then you may need to divide your chapters into parts.
Remember, the majority of people are much more important than the minority. Or well, you may divide your story nonetheless. Your readers may understand how slow their friends are at understanding what happened in your story.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
You know I write chapters @ 4k words on average, with the longest @ 6.7k. And of course, there are readers who can't digest all of those in one sitting (I mean, per chapter).
Your readers can't digest 4000 to 6000 words chapters in one sitting?
-- What are they? Middle-school kids?

If they don't have the patience to read longer chapters, they're probably not old enough to be on this site, and shouldn't be reading your stuff to begin with.

My question is, should I divide my chapters into several parts (like Part 1 and 2) with 1k-2k words each?
NO.

Chopping full sized chapters into tiny bits is a Bad Habit being picked up from reading amateur Translated works that cut chapters down to fulfill a weekly posting schedule. The actual chapters for these translated novels are far longer -- which is why those chapters are numbered: 1.1, all the way to 1.8. All 8 of those sections are 1 chapter that the translator had to work out the translation for.

Chopping chapters down to only 1000 words is a Bad Idea.

When you only have 1000 words, you have to rush through scenes to keep the reader engaged enough to make them want to read the next one -- and It Shows.

Examine your own reading habits. What stories do You prefer reading? How long are their chapters? Those of us that read for pleasure regularly can devour a 5000k chapter in a matter of minutes. Being a writer, I am absolutely sure You can too.

How fast can you read 1000 words?

I can do it in under a minute.

One minute isn't anywhere near enough time for me to actually get into a story. One minute certainly isn't long enough to keep me interested for a Full Week or longer until the next post -- not when I can devour a whole 100,000 word paperback novel in 4 hours.

Try reading a story that's been cut into tiny chapters for yourself.
  • Look at what's there, and what Isn't there.
  • What did the author skimp on to make those tiny chapters happen?
Most commonly description gets cut out almost entirely, but Plot tends to suffer too.

This happens because not all chapters are Exciting. When you have 5000 words per chapter, you have plenty of room to let downtime happen. You have room to expose clues and hints to develop plot points in a story. You have room to describe the fantasy or sci-fi setting.

1000 words isn't enough to develop anything in a story that isn't a dialogue scene.

Case in point; the average action scene --whether it's a smut scene or a fight scene-- runs between 5000 to 10,000 words. Full on battles with multiple cast members can go to 20,000 - 30,000 words. I can see cutting a 10,000 word scene into two chapters, but 10 separate chapters for One Scene?

No. Even if they post a chapter a week, No Reader would stand waiting 10 weeks to finish One Scene. I certainly won't.

Last edited:

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Consistency is the key, whatever was the average word count for a single chapter needs to be continued, if it crosses too much then make a second part.

I'd be huge break in immersion if ten chapters were 4-6k and suddenly the next few are just 1.5-2k.

Hans.Trondheim

Your readers can't digest 4000 to 6000 words chapters in one sitting?
-- What are they? Middle-school kids?

If they don't have the patience to read longer chapters, they're probably not old enough to be on this site, and shouldn't be reading your stuff to begin with.

NO.

Chopping full sized chapters into tiny bits is a Bad Habit being picked up from reading amateur Translated works that cut chapters down to fulfill a weekly posting schedule. The actual chapters for these translated novels are far longer -- which is why those chapters are numbered: 1.1, all the way to 1.8. All 8 of those sections are 1 chapter that the translator had to work out the translation for.

Chopping chapters down to only 1000 words is a Bad Idea.

When you only have 1000 words, you have to rush through scenes to keep the reader engaged enough to make them want to read the next one -- and It Shows.

Examine your own reading habits. What stories do You prefer reading? How long are their chapters? Those of us that read for pleasure regularly can devour a 5000k chapter in a matter of minutes. Being a writer, I am absolutely sure You can too.

How fast can you read 1000 words?

I can do it in under a minute.

One minute isn't anywhere near enough time for me to actually get into a story. One minute certainly isn't long enough to keep me interested for a Full Week or longer until the next post -- not when I can devour a whole 100,000 word paperback novel in 4 hours.

Try reading a story that's been cut into tiny chapters for yourself.
  • Look at what's there, and what Isn't there.
  • What did the author skimp on to make those tiny chapters happen?
Most commonly description gets cut out almost entirely, but Plot tends to suffer too.

This happens because not all chapters are Exciting. When you have 5000 words per chapter, you have plenty of room to let downtime happen. You have room to expose clues and hints to develop plot points in a story. You have room to describe the fantasy or sci-fi setting.

1000 words isn't enough to develop anything in a story that isn't a dialogue scene.

Case in point; the average action scene --whether it's a smut scene or a fight scene-- runs between 5000 to 10,000 words. Full on battles with multiple cast members can go to 20,000 - 30,000 words. I can see cutting a 10,000 word scene into two chapters, but 10 separate chapters for One Scene?

No. Even if they post a chapter a week, No Reader would stand waiting 10 weeks to finish One Scene. I certainly won't.
I like your POV on such things. It's also my reason I reached such word count. High fantasy settings and events are quite hard to fit in a thousand word chapter.
Consistency is the key, whatever was the average word count for a single chapter needs to be continued, if it crosses too much then make a second part.

I'd be huge break in immersion if ten chapters were 4-6k and suddenly the next few are just 1.5-2k.
Well, I can say I'm consistent with my works. After all, I won't reach 18 books if I'm not consistent.

My chapter arrangement though--aside from the word count--is sometimes 6k-4k main chapters interspersed with 1k-2k side volumes (sometimes).

Hans.Trondheim

Well, that's quite a fact with most of readers nowadays (can't even go through a 3k worded chapter), though I'd like to understand them because many are from working ages.

If they are students, maybe they got some requirements to submit. Any case, I'd like to understand, and it's not like I'm demanding my books to be read.

I also meant my stories to be enjoyed during the 'break', though many would often read those, thinking I put in smut there due to my genres (isekai harem).