If you like an author's latest work, would you read the author's previous work?

Would you read the author's previous work?

• Yes

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

For me, the answer is no unless what I am currently reading is a sequel/ poorly transitioned continuation, then I might be forced to read the previous works.

Some times it might be a blast and the previous work has some fun things, but most of the times previous works just serve as drafts before the current, now good-to-read current work.

J_Chemist

I have and found it to be enjoyable. After reading the Legends of the Duskwalker series, I picked up Posey's other books, Outrider and Sungazer. Both were enjoyable.

Online though? No. I haven't found a web novel online by a non-published Author that I can read for very long.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
As long as the quality of their older stories aren't completely atrocious, I genuinely enjoyed the current work (as opposed to just reading it out of boredom and not having anything else to read) and the story premise isn't something that actively repulses me, then yah, of course.

Jerynboe

If I have nothing better to do and the older works seem like something I might enjoy? Sure. It doesn’t have much weight, though. It’s just added to the infinite list of “to read” books, and probably not very high. Kinda the same level as hearing someone mentioning that they read and liked it, if that person isn’t one of the (rather small) list of people that I know has similar tastes to me.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Depends on the author and the genre they have written, if their current work is a space opera and their previous work was yaoi smut then no.
:blob_blank::blob_shock:

That is one big jump in genre.

Then I see the author of Cave of Obscenity.
I have and found it to be enjoyable. After reading the Legends of the Duskwalker series, I picked up Posey's other books, Outrider and Sungazer. Both were enjoyable.

Online though? No. I haven't found a web novel online by a non-published Author that I can read for very long.
As long as the quality of their older stories aren't completely atrocious, I genuinely enjoyed the current work (as opposed to just reading it out of boredom and not having anything else to read) and the story premise isn't something that actively repulses me, then yah, of course.
If I have nothing better to do and the older works seem like something I might enjoy? Sure. It doesn’t have much weight, though. It’s just added to the infinite list of “to read” books, and probably not very high. Kinda the same level as hearing someone mentioning that they read and liked it, if that person isn’t one of the (rather small) list of people that I know has similar tastes to me.
:blob_salute:

Missivist

When I find a story I really like, I usually check to see what else the author has published. It can be hard to find good writing any other way, so this is a tool that I have often used. In some cases I have read a lot of their other work, but in some cases they have nothing else.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
For sure, that is how I found my favorite Chinese books/authors.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It has to be really good, but yes.
I've only done that with two authors. Andur and Vihyungrang on Royal road.
Same with Andur, got a bit bummed because his works are in chronological order of the damned couple and I just read in random order.
When I find a story I really like, I usually check to see what else the author has published. It can be hard to find good writing any other way, so this is a tool that I have often used. In some cases I have read a lot of their other work, but in some cases they have nothing else.
:blobthumbsup:
For sure, that is how I found my favorite Chinese books/authors.
That was how I found Get Lost.

BlackKnightX

If I really like the story I'm reading, I would sometimes check out other stuff from the same author. But it's no different from me searching through the Series Finder for a new story to read. If something catches my eyes, I'll read it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
If I really like the story I'm reading, I would sometimes check out other stuff from the same author. But it's no different from me searching through the Series Finder for a new story to read. If something catches my eyes, I'll read it.
I will normally just read the genre I like and oftentimes the author might produce similar works.

But then comes the duality; when the author ventures out and the works become so distinct that I don't like or when the author is just rolling on the same genre long until he can't milk anything out and turn his works stale.

For the former, Get Lost is a prime example as he enjoys writing muscle man. mysteries and mecha. His latest work is just about the last two and I did not bother to read it.

For the latter, Bear Wolf Dog is the one to suffer from it, as most of his endings involving godhood always drop the ball before the end.

LilRora

Mostly formless
It depends on the author and what exactly his previous works are. I would definitely at least check them out. If I liked how they look, I would read them, though there's a lot of factors that make it unlikely in the general case. Putting aside some experienced, well-established authors, most previous books are very short, dropped, badly written, completely different from the new one, or a combination of those. Each makes it less likely to read.

If we're talking about experienced authors though, it's far more likely I would read their previous works. Then it basically comes down to my preferences.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

For me, the answer is no unless what I am currently reading is a sequel/ poorly transitioned continuation, then I might be forced to read the previous works.

Some times it might be a blast and the previous work has some fun things, but most of the times previous works just serve as drafts before the current, now good-to-read current work.
Maybe.