I'm curious, what writing software do you (yes I mean you specially) use?

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Personally a fan of microsoft word, but I use google docs so I can write on my phone if i get a rare bout of inspiration

DarkDuck09

Scrivener. I can put all of my world building, notes, and manuscripts (even with pictures) all in one document that never gets too large in size no matter how much bullshit I throw into it. Means I can keep it in Dropbox and have it update from any device I decide to write on. Though I will usually copy and paste what I write into Word for some extra "oomf" on the spelling, grammar, and structure editing. Scrivener also has the ability to export in just about every form needed to edit the files directly in Word to what Kindle needs for their e-reader.

I've recently also discovered Obsidian. Obsidian is a wiki-style note taking software that produces .md files (fancy plain text). You can throw just about anything in Obsidian, including making flow charts, linking notes together without too much of a process, etc. It's pretty cool, but I still prefer Scrivener.

I think one of the worst things I ever spent money on was Campfire Blaze. I ended up buying all of the modules after a few test runs and found that anything more complicated than a DnD story that'll get derailed immediately by murderhobos and the software is just too limiting.

GabrielTenma

Scrivener. I can put all of my world building, notes, and manuscripts (even with pictures) all in one document that never gets too large in size no matter how much bullshit I throw into it. Means I can keep it in Dropbox and have it update from any device I decide to write on. Though I will usually copy and paste what I write into Word for some extra "oomf" on the spelling, grammar, and structure editing. Scrivener also has the ability to export in just about every form needed to edit the files directly in Word to what Kindle needs for their e-reader.

I've recently also discovered Obsidian. Obsidian is a wiki-style note taking software that produces .md files (fancy plain text). You can throw just about anything in Obsidian, including making flow charts, linking notes together without too much of a process, etc. It's pretty cool, but I still prefer Scrivener.

I think one of the worst things I ever spent money on was Campfire Blaze. I ended up buying all of the modules after a few test runs and found that anything more complicated than a DnD story that'll get derailed immediately by murderhobos and the software is just too limiting.
lol, I've been looking into Scrivener actually, any helpful guides or tip for it. My brain is exploding due to how many features this thing has
Personally a fan of microsoft word, but I use google docs so I can write on my phone if i get a rare bout of inspiration
I'm a Docs fan, Microsoft word has more features (by more I mean a lot) but Docs is more like a streamlined version that's great to pop in some creativity and time and get something easily pastable into where it needs to be. I also use docs on my phone when I get a brain burst, great minds think alike :blob_highfive:
Notepad (on windows), one of several android apps called 'notes', focuswriter (on windows)
Simple is good too, as long as you get the juices flowing, thanks for sharing
I use the free version of Microsoft word.
Can't believe I'm just seeing this, Do you mean the mobile one or the browser one!?

Last edited:

DarkDuck09

lol, I've been looking into Scrivener actually, any helpful guides or tip for it. My brain is exploding due to how many features this thing has

Sure! So here's a screen-grab of my current spin-up project:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 205657.png

I always start with a blank project. I'm a software engineer by trade so I get real tired of being locked in a development box. I'd rather free form my environment to what best works for me. A blank project will always start with Draft (and a single untitled document in it), Research, and Trash. I put all of my world building and notes in Research. Draft I reserve for the manuscript itself. If it's multi-book, I'll make sub-folders for each book in Draft.

I'ma try not to make a whole tutorial on this because man I love this software.

1) My most used feature is the split feature. You can split the editor horizontally and vertically by going to View->Editor Layout. This allows me to keep relevant information or reference images up while I'm typing a scene without having to click through a bunch of other things.

2) View->Text Editing->Typewriter scrolling will allow you to keep what you're currently typing in the middle of the document at all times. I turn this on always.

3) For the most part, you can treat Scrivener like you treat Google Docs, or Word. The difference is that each Chapter can feasibly by its own document. Someone earlier mentioned editing a 107 page document in Word and it being hell, yet I can edit each individual chapter by itself because it's its own document within the software.

The best piece of advice I think I can give is start with these three things. You don't have to learn the entire software in a day, and everything is customizable and changeable so if you find a better way forward later on you can just switch things over to that. I don't know all the features Scrivener has, but I've been able to make do with the three things I mentioned above.

Also important to note: Scrivener has a 30 day trial period where it's free. Download it and try it out. Just play with it, but first and foremost always remember that you're using it write so make sure to write with it as much as your exploring the features.

GabrielTenma

Sure! So here's a screen-grab of my current spin-up project:
View attachment 26380

I always start with a blank project. I'm a software engineer by trade so I get real tired of being locked in a development box. I'd rather free form my environment to what best works for me. A blank project will always start with Draft (and a single untitled document in it), Research, and Trash. I put all of my world building and notes in Research. Draft I reserve for the manuscript itself. If it's multi-book, I'll make sub-folders for each book in Draft.

I'ma try not to make a whole tutorial on this because man I love this software.

1) My most used feature is the split feature. You can split the editor horizontally and vertically by going to View->Editor Layout. This allows me to keep relevant information or reference images up while I'm typing a scene without having to click through a bunch of other things.

2) View->Text Editing->Typewriter scrolling will allow you to keep what you're currently typing in the middle of the document at all times. I turn this on always.

3) For the most part, you can treat Scrivener like you treat Google Docs, or Word. The difference is that each Chapter can feasibly by its own document. Someone earlier mentioned editing a 107 page document in Word and it being hell, yet I can edit each individual chapter by itself because it's its own document within the software.

The best piece of advice I think I can give is start with these three things. You don't have to learn the entire software in a day, and everything is customizable and changeable so if you find a better way forward later on you can just switch things over to that. I don't know all the features Scrivener has, but I've been able to make do with the three things I mentioned above.

Also important to note: Scrivener has a 30 day trial period where it's free. Download it and try it out. Just play with it, but first and foremost always remember that you're using it write so make sure to write with it as much as your exploring the features.
Thank you. I'll take the plunge on that trial and see how it goes, the features you mentioned seem stellar! :blob_paint:

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned cuz I can't see it just yet, try Scrivener. It's the best, especially if you're making actual books/long-form stories with chapters. It has epic note capabilities, and even has a neat compiling feature so you can have a manuscript ready to go with little effort.

GabrielTenma

I'm still just scratching the surface myself, but if you have any questions feel free to DM me!
Will do!
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned cuz I can't see it just yet, try Scrivener. It's the best, especially if you're making actual books/long-form stories with chapters. It has epic note capabilities, and even has a neat compiling feature so you can have a manuscript ready to go with little effort.
2 Votes for Scrivener huh, looks like I better get to learning :blob_highfive:
I've used a generic linux text editor, the SH text editor, and google docs.
You know, I don't mean it badly or anything. From the responses I've gotten, most people have their own thing going on and honestly, I think that's great!

Hope your writing doesn't feel too taxing, you're using three different things after all :sweating_profusely:

crbrearley

I'm an old man and I use Word. Think I started on Microsoft works back in the stone age when they used to put it on store bought systems.

I've never heard of these other programs. Damn you kids and your fancy software...