Is forums a good place to find Readers?

Yamazaru

If you want to find readers for a story, does forums help, or really doesn't? Like does a signature help a little as well? I've seen views go up, but readers not, and wondered what was up with that. I am about to be on the 5th chapter of my story, and as shitty as it may sound from me, it doesn't really feel exciting when no one is there to give support. So can forums find you some bit of readers?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
If you want to find readers for a story, does forums help, or really doesn't? Like does a signature help a little as well? I've seen views go up, but readers not, and wondered what was up with that. I am about to be on the 5th chapter of my story, and as shitty as it may sound from me, it doesn't really feel exciting when no one is there to give support. So can forums find you some bit of readers?
The signature, in it, you can basically hyperlink your story's cover with your story. It's like free advertising. You might or might not get readers. Besides, the forums, I believe, aren't particularly for advertising, but more for tips on writing style, questions, etc.. However, you can still kinda plug in your story by asking questions about it a lot.

Like: So, my plot goes... and I won't reveal the end, but what type of readers would you think it would attract?

Usually, I believe the forums are mostly used to flaunt artistic skills, chat, ask for tips, and overall chat.

Imagine if we have shameless advertisers everywhere... :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely: :sweating_profusely:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Hun, you have 6 readers. The more you post, the more you will get usually. So, just relax and have fun. Write for yourself. The readers will come and go. And before you know it, you will get that one reader that is amazing.~ :blob_aww:

So answering your question. You will and you won't get readers from the forums.

SailusGebel

Of course, it can, and it does, but chances are minuscule. Don't get your hopes high. And forums DOES give support like people here do free reviews, for example. So if you want to find support, as in getting people reading your story the moment they see it, you probably won't find it here. But you can instead find help with improving as an author here.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
well, if you're looking to find a guy who'd give your story a review/first-impression take, you're looking in the gold mine. there's even dedicated threads for you to whore yourself out. @TheTrinary has a thread that's just about the most consistent one in this forum regarding feedback. the only one, actually, thinking about it now.

as for actual staying readers, no. we're all washed up webnovel amateurs looking to break into a scene here. no one in their right mind would come to the forum for amazing written content.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
Hun, you have 6 readers. The more you post, the more you will get usually. So, just relax and have fun. Write for yourself. The readers will come and go. And before you know it, you will get that one reader that is amazing.~ :blob_aww:

So answering your question. You will and you won't get readers from the forums.
This tbh.

I was salty about having 9 readers in July. Now I have 22, and it's thanks to the fine folks of the forums for giving me good advice about my cover and my blurb

FeverDream

I think it does! Not much, but a few people will get curios to check your story and someone will eventually like it and stick around.

EmEs

I'm new to this site, but if it works similarly to Royal Road, and there's no reason for it not to, then YES, it will get you more readers. Not an awful lot, but its deafinitely worth a try.

PS: I guess I'll follow my own advice. Shameless self promotion incoming (Not sure if there's rules against it. If so, please let me know and I'll remove this reply. For those willing to check it out, my story just launched on this site.
Etherious

Darthclem

Something to keep in mind is that some people won’t pick up a story until there are a few chapters out. If I see a story with 1 chapter I am probably not going to read it. I will likely wait until it has at least 5 chapters. But don’t make a bunch of short chapters because that can be annoying for readers.

wildan1197_

I speak as a reader now and listen carefully to what I have to say. When I look for new novels to read on novelupdates, I always see a large number of published chapters. If it's less than my standard I'll just leave it.

And that will only happen if the novel has gone through the following process:
1. The cover is so catchy
2. The synopsis is also the same
3. Other user recommendations and ratings.

So, if the above conditions are not met, I will not read the novel even if he is a well-known author.

Good luck.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Your thread is slower to update and not as old yet. Yet, even though I haven't asked, nor do I want your help, thanks for doing your reviews.
I'm grateful for your appreciation, but the thing that makes me cry is that he forgot about it despite leaving a request-ish post.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
It's Ben who forgot it
That's what I'm talking about. Please mend my poor heart with your friendly praise

Sailus' constant rejections kind of make me want to review the NTR novel though, on an unrelated note

SailusGebel

That's what I'm talking about.

Sailus' constant rejections kind of make me want to review the NTR novel though, on an unrelated note
Please don't. I know that it's shit, and I'm talking about this objectively. It's not self-depreciation, the idea I had was good, but the execution sucks. Which is natural cause it's my first novel. So don't spend your time on this, as I more or less know about things where I should improve.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If you are consistently active, it is a good place to find readers. By the way, please give me one-star ratings on both of my stories 😇

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I probably should say something about the threat topic as well. You'll find a lot more active readers here, people who give feedback voluntarily and engage in discussion with you and other readers. Experienced authors and editors as well, to some degree.
But the thing that you won't find here is mass. Most web novel readers are passive, so if you filter for those engaged enough to browse the forum, there are inevitably less of them.
Please don't. I know that it's shit, and I'm talking about this objectively. It's not self-depreciation, the idea I had was good, but the execution sucks. Which is natural cause it's my first novel. So don't spend your time on this, as I more or less know about things where I should improve.
Do you plan to redo the concept, or just let it remain as is?