Is it just me or are readers on here less critical than on Royal Road?

lambenttyto

Maybe it's a difference in overall views, but ONI RŌKURA here has 86 readers vs 125 followers on RR and I haven't had a single negative comment over here yet vs a whole treasure trove on Royal Road.

Any thoughts?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
RR is very critical when it comes to what they read. The toxicity from that community is what made me leave it but here everyone knows that we are all aren't top-tier writers and that it's a learning experience. Most of us have dreams of becoming famous authors so we support each other with proper constructive criticism. That and people tend to be more chill on this site in general than on RR.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
Maybe it's a difference in overall views, but ONI RŌKURA here has 86 readers vs 125 followers on RR and I haven't had a single negative comment over here yet vs a whole treasure trove on Royal Road.

Any thoughts?
The ratings are usually trolls and people who actually care about your story(mine got two 1 stars after being up for 30 minutes with 0 readers)
And overall, RR readers are so much more critical than readers on, let’s say, SH or WN

Draconite

Exist in the void
SH is definitely more chill, i guess the asian fanbase from NU helps it since we don't really sweat the details

PancakesWitch

ive gotten a fair bit of criticism here, sometimes very harsh, so idk, maybe your story hasnt reached enough readers, also in royal road you got just tons of 4 and 5 stars, idk what youre even talking about? lol

Aefener

Definitely more chill here but people are also less eager to comment. I observed that common SH readers are quite passive. I have 84 followers on RR which doesn't seem much but I write BL and most RR readers hate it by default so I consider it a miracle. However, my readers on RR comment quite a lot under every chapter (and surprisingly very nicely) whereas here at SH where I have more readers I get almost zero comments. On the other hand, people on RR give you 1 start just because they hate the genre you write which doesn't happen so often here. Or they want to shoot you off the chart. My webnovel actually got there several times in psychological/romance and drama categories. Never lasted for long, though.

Jemini

I honestly don't see the issue with Royal Road everyone here is always complaining about. I find the community to be quite pleasant over there in terms of the feedback they give. I mean, yes, I really do get a lot more critiques over there, but the criticism I have received over there has been 100% of the constructive and helpful variety. 100%. I am entirely serious about that. I have not received a single critique over there that wasn't accompanied by a "here's why, and here's what you can do better" type explanation, and it is always done with a rather friendly tone.

Meanwhile, when I first started writing over here on SH, I just got a lot of "your novel sucks, and I'm not going to even bother to say why." So, my experience has really been the exact opposite.

That said, I was in the 1st batch of SH natives to have posted my stories here first before any other site. That was 2 years ago. So, yes, I would also have to say the culture of this site has changed a lot since then.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
RoyalRoad is a great place to upload if ur a seasoned author looking to land a publishing deal for Amazon. For amateurs… not so much. (Not saying you are an amateur I have no idea)
They only help with marketing from my knowledge. Which does make a difference, really.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Way nicer here. I am a complete madman who shoots off his mouth without a moment of thought and I know I say some fairly offensive things, and yet people are very tolerant here. They are pleasing to the eye.

The Eye, which is thousands of years old, is well known to be the definitive source of what is or is not "hip".

I have yet to interact with a single person here in a fashion where I would say it was unpleasant. Yes, I have argued with people, but people understand that I have problems with concepts, not people, and don't take it personal.

BigBadBoi

Definitely more chill here but people are also less eager to comment. I observed that common SH readers are quite passive. I have 84 followers on RR which doesn't seem much but I write BL and most RR readers hate it by default so I consider it a miracle. However, my readers on RR comment quite a lot under every chapter (and surprisingly very nicely) whereas here at SH where I have more readers I get almost zero comments. On the other hand, people on RR give you 1 start just because they hate the genre you write which doesn't happen so often here. Or they want to shoot you off the chart. My webnovel actually got there several times in psychological/romance and drama categories. Never lasted for long, though.
Unlike RoyalRoad I can easily filter your genre in SH. BL caters to a niche of fujos and their novels never to be seen by the average reader and nobody that isn't interested in that shit would filter it immediately.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I honestly don't see the issue with Royal Road everyone here is always complaining about. I find the community to be quite pleasant over there in terms of the feedback they give. I mean, yes, I really do get a lot more critiques over there, but the criticism I have received over there has been 100% of the constructive and helpful variety. 100%. I am entirely serious about that. I have not received a single critique over there that wasn't accompanied by a "here's why, and here's what you can do better" type explanation, and it is always done with a rather friendly tone.

Meanwhile, when I first started writing over here on SH, I just got a lot of "your novel sucks, and I'm not going to even bother to say why." So, my experience has really been the exact opposite.

That said, I was in the 1st batch of SH natives to have posted my stories here first before any other site. That was 2 years ago. So, yes, I would also have to say the culture of this site has changed a lot since then.
Really? I dont think it changed much, pretty sure it's always been this way? You just got the cunts first, it happens.

Also that 1st batch talk has me wondering now. Like, who got here first? Pretty sure I might be the oldest member here besides the creator. I THINK. cuz I came from Novelupdates and I browsed there daily. So I'm pretty sure I was here since day one. In fact I think my 1st story here might also be the oldest one here. Cant recall exactly but its interesting to think about.

Jemini

Really? I dont think it changed much, pretty sure it's always been this way? You just got the cunts first, it happens.

Also that 1st batch talk has me wondering now. Like, who got here first? Pretty sure I might be the oldest member here besides the creator. I THINK. cuz I came from Novelupdates and I browsed there daily. So I'm pretty sure I was here since day one. In fact I think my 1st story here might also be the oldest one here. Cant recall exactly but its interesting to think about.

I don't know, but at the time I posted my story there were somewhere around 300 stories on the entire site. (Yes, it was back when the trending list was actually able to list every single story on the entire site because the library was so short, so I was able to get an accurate count.) And, the overwhelming majority of those 300 stories were transplants from RR.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
In my experience, RR is much more critical. Readers there generally have higher standards, and are not afraid to voice their complaints.

However, I don't understand why some people call it toxic. I've been posting over there for almost two years and have been reading for much longer, and have never seen a comment that was simply "mean". There were plenty of critical reviews and negative comments, a good portion of which were wrong, but it was extremely rarely negative for the sake of being negative. It is almost always justified criticism from people who took the time to explain their issue with what you wrote, and are willing to discuss it.

I would disagree with the notion that RR is not for amateurs. RR is for those who want to improve their art, and are ready to take in the necessary criticism. Perhaps “not for the faint of hearts” would be more accurate, for it is when your writing is bad that you have the most to gain from the RR community.

If you post on SH, you will get 99% positive messages, giving you that happy feeling that your work is appreciated by everyone. Almost no one will rain in your parade, even if what you wrote is terrible. Those who will, however, are often less articulate and insightful from those you get on RR.

On RR, you will get 75% positive messages, with the 25% of negative one being long, detailed and harsh. They are never fun to read, but they can help you improve tremendously, and I find it also gives the praise I receive more weight.

In conclusion, I agree that RR is more critical, but I consider that one of the strong points of the website. I suppose it just depends on what you want from your readers, if it is friends that will support you no matter what or people who will judge you and try to help you improve, no matter whether you want to or not.