Is it just me or does anyone feel the same i get annoyed seeing an author drop their Novels each with 1-3chapters. And seeing them having 5-11 of it

Diogenes111

Like what are u trying to do when i read their story, I would be like Wow this looks promising then next day they'd be all depressed and shit comparing themselves to others.

Like what are u trying to do when i read their story, I would be like Wow this looks promising then next day they'd be all depressed and shit comparing themselves to others.
This always happens like why do they even try to post it, if u cant finish it what's the point. u started it you definitely gotta finish it take responsibility making ur readers enter your world and if ur writing for fun atleast do proper closure if you suddenly drop it.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Since I put the majority of my work on hiatus a couple of chapters after the first one, I can understand the angle they are coming from but I don’t agree with it. For me it doesn’t matter how bad it is just keep it up and edit it, if it is too bad. The issue is I start my things off so ‘good’ that I suffer from writers block on how to keep the story at the same, better, or comparable quality.

Macha

Not a Klutz

Diogenes111

Since I put the majority of my work on hiatus a couple of chapters after the first one, I can understand the angle they are coming from but I don’t agree with it. For me it doesn’t matter how bad it is just keep it up and edit it, if it is too bad. The issue is I start my things off so ‘good’ that I suffer from writers block on how to keep the story at the same, better, or comparable quality.
Damn i always start bad and never edit the first chap i do progressive chapters making changes every chapter if my reader started from ch1 till now they will be rewarded by seeing me improve a little or a larger margin per chapter.

ACertainPassingUser

It's annoying when they stop abruptly and didn't deliver any continuation.

The problem can be solved by writing one-shot only, or write open ending that conclude every chapter by itself. Those kidn of stories force author to write proper conclusion.

***​

Many author ovestimate how long they can kept making chapter, even after calculating their free time. Most people don't realize they're bad at math, nor do they expect huge writer-block when writing more complex parts of the story.

Writing by flow isn't making it easier. At the start of writing, writing by flow is easy as they won't have to stick to anything, just write as they wish.

Later on, they would start wishing that they already had a outline/draft for their writing instead of wasting time trying to fix the story right now, as the story suddenly have huge storytelling flaws, such as : overarching plot holes, bad delivery, and unexplained void.

And many also forget to write down the basic idea of their story only end up questioning and thinking deeply about the point of the story later on when the story start to look out of place and become cliched unrecognizable mess that's better left on Hiatus or just Abandon & Start rewrite already.

Last edited:

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Damn i always start bad and never edit the first chap i do progressive chapters making changes every chapter if my reader started from ch1 till now they will be rewarded by seeing me improve a little or a larger margin per chapter.
Yeah, I shoot myself in the foot spending about a month preparing a good first few chapters, and then need to keep the quality.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
A web serial does let you get away with a lot of pacing schemes not normally possible, but then you have the problem of if you're trying to pick up a dead book people just... kinda.... dont.

Outlines are important, but even a "here are the main story beats I want to hit" works too. I think I work with the vague idea of a plan, because I know that my characters dont behave with my plot.

So i give hooks and let them bite those.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Sometimes a story doesn't do well or maybe the author lost interest. It's sad but it's all too common.

J_Chemist

Maybe the author died.

Majority start a story on a whim thinking they'll stick with it and have fun... Until they realize either they're incompetent or they lack the motivational drive required to endure the sheer amount of suffering writing a full novel entails.

Yorth

Swordman
A lot of authors are teenagers who were just readers and had an idea for a story. It takes a certain level of commitment and maturity to stick with a story to the end. Plus, there are all kinds of circumstances that would make an author drop a novel. Work, study, health, no longer know what the fuck to write, etc...

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
A lot of authors are teenagers who were just readers and had an idea for a story. It takes a certain level of commitment and maturity to stick with a story to the end. Plus, there are all kinds of circumstances that would make an author drop a novel. Work, study, health, no longer know what the fuck to write, etc...

I can vouch for this.

I was taken out of the writing scene when a major falling out happened between my host, his girlfriend and their roommate (who was not I)

I had to manage that drama pretty much 24/7 and triage a bunch of shit that came in to restabilize my living arrangement and make sure the problem child was actually kicked.

I did not want to abandon Solstice. I had to. And I lost a full half of my readers and heart inflow because of it.

But now I'm back, I'm putting my misdeed to myself behind me and making it right by myself, because I don't want to be a ghost. I want to at least have done something.

Also because I find it to be a relatively healthy and low-barrier-to-entry creative endeavour. My art skills suck otherwise, and my other skills are corporate-friendly skills that don't actually help me connect with anyone.

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
It's difficult work, and the rewards are non-existent.

A traditional author has editors and publishers and maybe friends and family watching over their shoulder. All the while, they know they'll be making money off the result.

A web novel writer usually writes as a hobby. That means they do it for fun, and when it stops being fun, there's no more reason to write.

Not to mention it's very easy to see your own flaws and errors, but very difficult to understand how to improve. It's depressing work, like any type of art. With no real feedback and no outside motivation to bullshit your way through, giving up is the logical choice.

If you want to read web novels, then understand what it is you're signing up to read. If you're annoyed it doesn't get finished, then go read traditional books instead.