Is it wrong to use ai art?

Daitengu

The water gets a bit murky with what I do. I generate AI art then alter a few things by hand. See, I can't start from a blank canvas and make a masterpiece - I just don't have the talent. BUT I can take an existing artwork and change minor details and keep it looking good. As such, My images are usually about 50-75% AI and about 25-50% my own alterations. for instance, the cover for Dragonbound (look below, in my sig) I bet you can't really tell where my handiwork ends and the AI begins (I did more than just the title/author name).

Interesting, it's different enough from the court case rulings on AI art thus far that I'll keep an eye out in the future if I her about something similar.

Cause atm court rulings only talking about 100% AI generated art being uncopyrightable. The argument is based on the monkey picture copyright case which basically said, "you can let/train a monkey to push a camera button, but since a human didn't do it, the picture is on public domain automatically as monkeys have no rights, and we have no rights to their work."

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
A.I. should be seen as a tool, and not a political statement.

In the beginning of times, people complained when you wrote down stories. Something about "you are going to make people's memories worse" since they wouldn't have to remember the huge verses of the Illiad. Well, times have proven that writing does have more uses than putting down epic tales.

Telling that using A.I. generated images is wrong is because people have something else to prove. If it was only a matter of graphical quality, I bet the writer would be the first one not to choose to put the image as the representation of their novel. After all, it IS the first thing that someone sees. And "an image is worth a thousand words" after all. So if you're using a crappy image, it would only reflect badly on yourself anyway.

I'd put my two cents that most of those who would tell you that, as a writer, you can not use A.I. images as a cover for your novel are not actually interested in whether the picture itself is a representation of what your novel is, but rather what the A.I. that generated it represents to them. And if you are going to be taking any political stances, you should be deciding that by yourself. But next time someone tells you that you should be commissioning for art instead of A.I. for the cover of your novel, ask yourself: "How much would I charge this person if I were to ghostwrite something for them?"

Aaqil

Cookies!
:blobthumbsup: :blob_cookie:

Vitou

Most commissions have a limit on how many reworks an artist is willing to do and anything after that is only available after paying more fees.
I guess that's fair, but it also depends on what they consider a rework. I could give my friend as much details as I can, but sometimes he'd just misunderstand what I said and draw something I didn't want. Then obviously, I'd have to point it out to him and tell him that he drew it incorrectly. Would be a bit lame if other artists considered something like that a "rework", since they're the ones who drew it incorrectly in the first place.

Last edited:

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
There is nothing wrong about it. My covers are A.I. illustrated by Sleds.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I guess that's fair, but it also depends on what they consider a rework. I could give my friend as much details as I can, but sometimes he'd just misunderstand what I said and draw something I didn't want. Would be a bit lame if they considered that a "rework", since they're the ones who drew it incorrectly.
Here is the problem:

You are talking about a friend.

Friend =/= Artist

Most commissions are not done between friends.

Okay, let's go instead to Fiverr the most known and used site for this then:

Better? Maybe. But don't let the cheap price fool you because it is the starting point:

Value your friend to the nine heavens, @Vitou

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I hate on people who believe they are an artist because they generated an AI piece.

I hate on people who shit on artists because of AI despite artist being the groundwork for Ai. And beside that: DONT SHIT IN MY HOBBY.

I hate on people in general.

P.S. I’m too lazy to figure out how to prompt so I get shitty results and hate AI for that.

SailusGebel

I hate on people who believe they are an artist because they generated an AI piece.

I hate on people who shit on artists because of AI despite artist being the groundwork for Ai. And beside that: DONT SHIT IN MY HOBBY.

P.S. I’m too lazy to figure out how to prompt so I get shitty results and hate AI for that.
based fishy :blob_shade:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

AI is trial and error.

Try 100 times. Sort out 90% of the unusable. Keep the remaining 10%, and then choose. Most of it, is by default unusable.

Vitou

Here is the problem:

Friend =/= Artist

Better? Maybe. But don't let the cheap price fool you because it is the starting point:

Yes, I value him a lot. But I mentioned him as an example that even when you give as much detail as possible, the artist can still misunderstand something, especially if English isn't their first language.
I was trying to say that it would be lame if the artist messed up, then considered it a "rework" when you ask them to fix it.

tiaf

Here is the problem:

Friend =/= Artist

Have you experienced first hand being rejected a revision or had to pay for it?

Corty

Have you experienced firsthand being rejected for a revision or having to pay for it?
Twice. I still have a refund on my Fiverr account that I will never get back as they don’t refund to your card or PayPal. 40€ down the drain. I switched to AI and never looked back.

Edit:

Let me expand on that. My Mad Book cover, in my signature, was a commission. All went well with revisions too, all good. Then I went to the same artist for my next big book to commission another cover. We got through the initial phase and then *puff* dude went AWOL for 2 months.

I am a patient man but fuck that. Refund. I looked for another and sent in my commission. No answer from him for a week… the last day of the contractual time he stipulated on his profile, I initiated the refund.

Then he contacted me it was almost done, blah blah blah. Dude you never even contacted me wassup lets do this or something.

So after that, I gave up and decided I will do it myself with my shitty PS skills and pictures from the net.

Then I found AI. That was a godsend.

The caveat for the story is that the first guy after around 4 months of absence contacted me that he had issues so if I want he is willing to finish it for free if I still want it. So kudos to him but I told him sorry, I already have a cover.

Last edited:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Twice. I still have a refund sitting on my fiverr account that I will never get back as they don’t refound to your card or PayPal. 40€ down the drain. I switched to AI, never looked back.
Good to know. I'm never using that site.

IshiharaNiaoka

I think AI art is fine and you acknowledge that it is from an AI. Although, if you’re publishing a book I really think you should commission something at that point. Paying for AI art feels wrong.
True.
Using AI art for a book cover is fine. Anyone stupid enough to pick that hill to die on should be helped along to their early grave to spare everyone else the unnecessary burden of having to interact with them. They are a waste.

Everybody wants to be a wannabe activist for something nowadays. I swear people are just bored and looking for shit to do for the hell of it.
Lowkey drama
Here is the problem:

Friend =/= Artist

Damn only two revisions for 49$

😂😂

Last edited:

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
Twice. I still have a refund on my Fiverr account that I will never get back as they don’t refund to your card or PayPal. 40€ down the drain. I switched to AI and never looked back.

Edit:

Let me expand on that. My Mad Book cover, in my signature, was a commission. All went well with revisions too, all good. Then I went to the same artist for my next big book to commission another cover. We got through the initial phase and then *puff* dude went AWOL for 2 months.

I am a patient man but fuck that. Refund. I looked for another and sent in my commission. No answer from him for a week… the last day of the contractual time he stipulated on his profile, I initiated the refund.

Then he contacted me it was almost done, blah blah blah. Dude you never even contacted me wassup lets do this or something.

So after that, I gave up and decided I will do it myself with my shitty PS skills and pictures from the net.

The caveat for the story is that the first guy after around 4 months of absence contacted me that he had issues so if I want he is willing to finish it for free if I still want it. So kudos to him but I told him sorry, I already have a cover.

You got off relatively fine. I took a sunk cost of 1k USD for a "professional commission" for a cover for my first English book. It was ugly. I kept trying to explain to the artist what I wanted, kept sending him tons of reference materials. In the end he was like "dude, I spent 40 hours on this cover, take it or leave it". Even though were had agreed that no work is to be done until we're on the same page.

The money were already paid. (A mistake, I know.) So I silently cursed with my ugliest Eastern European slurs in my arsenal, and took the "finished product".

Then I went to a local acquaintance I knew IRL, and commissioned a brand-new cover for less than 300€. It took a while for her to do it, and it wasn't the idea I had in mind, but the cover turned out beautifully. I will probably go to her again for my next book in the series. (She's currently turning the original cover into an image for T-shirt design.)

The incident burned me bad enough that I now refuse to work with artists I can't meet in person. AI, imo, still isn't on the level it would be useful to me (or requires still a too-high skill level to make it useful), and legislation hasn't given a final say about it - so it's a no-show for anything on a pro level. Might try it anyway in a year or two - if more preferable options don't crop up by then.

Regards,
Sagacious

IshiharaNiaoka

You got off relatively fine. I took a sunk cost of 1k USD for a "professional commission" for a cover for my first English book. It was ugly. I kept trying to explain to the artist what I wanted, kept sending him tons of reference materials. In the end he was like "dude, I spent 40 hours on this cover, take it or leave it". Even though were had agreed that no work is to be done until we're on the same page.

The money were already paid. (A mistake, I know.) So I silently cursed with my ugliest Eastern European slurs in my arsenal, and took the "finished product".

Then I went to a local acquaintance I knew IRL, and commissioned a brand-new cover for less than 300€. It took a while for her to do it, and it wasn't the idea I had in mind, but the cover turned out beautifully. I will probably go to her again for my next book in the series. (She's currently turning the original cover into an image for T-shirt design.)

The incident burned me bad enough that I now refuse to work with artists I can't meet in person. AI, imo, still isn't on the level it would be useful to me (or requires still a too-high skill level to make it useful), and legislation hasn't given a final say about it - so it's a no-show for anything on a pro level. Might try it anyway in a year or two - if more preferable options don't crop up by then.

Regards,
Sagacious
1000$ 🙆🏽‍♀️eii
I would have gone insane if it was ugly
And just 40 hours?

I've seen people charge less for better art for 40 hours.

1k is like asking for a vtuber model to be rigged

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
1000$ 🙆🏽‍♀️eii
And just 40 hours?

I had next to zero experience in online dealings, and I got burned badly. I walked away with at least five lessons learned.

But yeah, those were my entire savings from a few years back. It definitely put me in a bad spot. But I got better. Still traumatized, though.

And, 1k$ might seem a lot of money, but that really depends on what "class" of artist you hire. Some make art for dimes, others for thousands of bucks. The really amazing thing is, you can find crap and masterpieces on both ends of the spectrum.

KuruKinaar

I think AI is a great tool for artists to use to help draft out ideas or fill in the missing pieces to an art piece. I don't think you need to feel guilty for not being able to afford paying an artist when you could use AI for a temporary cover. You can always redesign your cover at any time when you get the money, and there's artists out there who are willing to work with you on payment plans and so on!
Some artists are worried AI is going to take their jobs away, but I don't think it will, it's a tool for them to use. Traditional artists are always going to be reliable and in demand to make the exact thing the commissioner wants. AI is not perfect.

Corty

Regards,
Sagacious
RIP. That hurt to imagine.

Well if I ever would have a physical book that is about to be published, of course I would use real artists. But for webnovels? AI is more than fine.

tiaf

Edit:

The on you curently have for Mad God is comissioned? 👀 I question your taste to commission this artist.

1000$ 🙆🏽‍♀️eii
And just 40 hours?

I wish my first commissioner was someone reliable as you! Was scammed instead even though I even did a live session to confirm all details. But I was naive and didn’t get paid despite having finished quite a fair share of the requested stuff.

Idk why so many artists don’t provide this much of customer service, but it might just be their nature to be as “free as possible” or exposure to face to face contact with customers.

My irl work experience told me to confirm every little tiny detail before the start to avoid any complications and complaints in the middle or at the result.

Doing pose revisions after lining and/or color stage is a HUGE rework to avoid this the rough sketch and detailed sketch should be flawless. And I see the potential of AI being used for fast coloration scheme to confirm with the customer.

Yes, communication and language skills are needed for this, but there are always products you can put for service that have less room for error or don’t require so much to confirm with the commissioner.

But then again, lacking language skills can deteriorate the service A LOT.