Is it wrong to use ai art?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
The on you curently have for Mad God is comissioned? 👀 I question your taste to commission this artist.
Don't start throwing stones in a glass house.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
My feeling is a bit mix on this.

On one hand, I tried learn how to draw on paper. Unfortunately, I was so damn lazy that my improvement was infinitesimal at best, so I closed up my drawing book and only draw if I want to have fun.

On the other hand, I made some AI model myself, so I know how easy it is just to scrape pictures from the internet, slap it onto a machine learning model, and voila, produce an 'art' that is made by myself.

Fortunately for me, the one thing that stopped me from delving in creating more advanced AI models is the fact that I know how it feels as an artist when their work is being scraped off from the internet to produce a 'masterpiece' of their own. Nevertheless, as a consumer, I do feel the convenience of using AI for illustrating some things while for a more detailed ones, using artists are obviously much better.

tldr; I'm neutral on this, and let's not start attacking another person's commissioned cover because not everyone can commission WLOP or Ilya Kuvshinov to enhance their work. Even artist need to start from somewhere.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
I'm feeling somewhat troll-ish so I want to ask this question right here, right now:
We all talked a lot about A.I. generated Art. Now, how do you feel about A.I. generated novels?
*runs away.*

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I'm feeling somewhat troll-ish so I want to ask this question right here, right now:
We all talked a lot about A.I. generated Art. Now, how do you feel about A.I. generated novels?
*runs away.*
It the same as AI Art, if the readers know its AI made then there no problem. But AI novel are not on the same level as the AI art, this thing throw thing out of nowhere when I tried it, and couldn't follow the story it wrote.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
There's a few authors on IG complaining about AI art and how they won't read or promote any novel that uses it. Up to them I guess. But their arguments pretty much stop at 'it's putting real artists out of business!' and 'It sweeps existing art without the artist's permission!' Just like most of the righteous bullshit they scratch off the surface of people who sound more intelligent than they are, it's fucking nonsense.
Apparently, the same 'arguments' against AI don't apply if you're a reteller of fairytales, like me. That's ok? But AI art isn't? Make it make fucking sense. Am I putting an author out of work by reading a re-telling instead of an 'original' work? 'Course I'm bloody not. Fuck sake grab a braincell on your way back with your pumpkin spice ya weapon!
I'd be happy to use it if I could get better images. For promo work and character gen it'll do fine, just not for professional cover work, not just yet. It'll get better at it soon. I'll continue to make covers in Canva (which I pay for) until I can afford a proper cover artist. I do advocate using real artists. But to hate on people using AI when they have limited options? How elitist. Fuck em.
I have a kid to feed and clothe and a house to fix and a life to live. Fucking not going to fling like £500 at an artist to make me a cover when that shit has to come first. I make min wage in this shitty job, last thing I need is some snobby little cunt telling me not to use AI because 'it's harming artists' when they're sitting all cushtie and I can't even guarantee I'll make my outlay back with book sales.
Yeah, no, FUCK EM. At both fucking ends.
Grrrr.

Saberfang

I will say that if you do use A.I art, be honest about it. Don't be that dude that ties to pretend they drew that artwork. And I can say from experience, A.I art will never beat out a proper artist.

beast_regards

There would be a song about not generating AI images if AI generated songs too.