Is my chapter too long?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
almost done writing my chapter, I took me like a week because of procrastination. The thing is, it’s at like 7.3K words, and I still have 1-2K more to write. It’s a long… sequence in the story that I’d like to have in one single chapter. Since this is an edited version of the previous chapter that was 4.5K words. I’ve added waaaay more. Maybe too much? should I split my chapter into two? Or do you think they’d have the energy to read all of that?

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
It depends on your readers and the average length of your chapters. Do you have a reader base that likes to read long chapters, then keep it, but you think 9 to 10 thousand words is too much even for your readers, then diving into two might be a good choice.

I don't care about the length of the chapter, long as I enjoy what I read, but different people have different preferences.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Eh, there isn't such a thing as a long chapter imo. Then again, I write 5k-12k. *Take my words with a grain of salt as I am not a professional writer.

When I started I used to write 3k-5k words, but lately, I am reading an average of 8k words per chapter. The longest ever was 12k words. *My readers thanked me for giving them that gem.*
It also depends on what your targeted audience is. Younger peeps like short ones. I guess they have shorter attention spans now because I remember when I was young, I would be glued to a book until I read it. *Yes, I had other distractions, but hey I had to read that novel.*

When I am hooked, I am in it for the end. I also believe a reader can just drop off and continue reading when they can. Just leave spaces in between paragraphs where they can easily pick up where they left off.

*But there are peeps like me who like long ones.* I write how I like so, it all depends on what you want.
I believe 1.5k-2k is short as fuck. But there are authors who only write 2k works. *These words frustrate me as I hate the wait and feeling like nothing was accomplished!*

My chapters are descriptive, too. In a good way, I have been told. So, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. And obviously the audience.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Eh, there isn't such a thing as a long chapter imo. Then again, I write 5k-12k. *Take my words with a grain of salt as I am not a professional writer.

When I started I used to write 3k-5k words, but lately, I am reading an average of 8k words per chapter. The longest ever was 12k words. *My readers thanked me for giving them that gem.*
It also depends on what your targeted audience is. Younger peeps like short ones. I guess they have shorter attention spans now because I remember when I was young, I would be glued to a book until I read it. *Yes, I had other distractions, but hey I had to read that novel.*

When I am hooked, I am in it for the end. I also believe a reader can just drop off and continue reading when they can. Just leave spaces in between paragraphs where they can easily pick up where they left off.

*But there are peeps like me who like long ones.* I write how I like so, it all depends on what you want.
I believe 1.5k-2k is short as fuck. But there are authors who only write 2k works. *These words frustrate me as I hate the wait and feeling like nothing was accomplished!*

My chapters are descriptive, too. In a good way, I have been told. So, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. And obviously the audience.
My chapters are from 3-5K but I’m planning on slowly increasing it as times goes by. It all depends on my writing style. Problem is, it’s too repetitive at times, hence why I like to make it short. So I’m worried my chapter is just the same thing over and over again.
It depends on your readers and the average length of your chapters. Do you have a reader base that likes to read long chapters, then keep it, but you think 9 to 10 thousand words is too much even for your readers, then diving into two might be a good choice.

I don't care about the length of the chapter, long as I enjoy what I read, but different people have different preferences.
My readers aren’t that interactive with me, probably since my novel is quite new… or since my genre is quite… not sought after.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
My chapters are from 3-5K but I’m planning on slowly increasing it as times goes by. It all depends on my writing style. Problem is, it’s too repetitive at times, hence why I like to make it short. So I’m worried my chapter is just the same thing over and over again.
I have run into this issue once or twice. I suggest reading it out loud. *There may be an app for this. I use Word, but I know that one isn't available to you*. That helps me personally to catch some of those errors and many more. The more you write, the more you will notice you will get better at catching yourself.

Like *HAH* I said this earlier! I do it all the time lol. Here is where experience is the best. It also helps that you already are conscious that it happens, so that itself will help prevent it.

For me personally, I started in June and my writing has improved so much since then! It is amazing how far I have come! I am sure you experience that too! Just move at your own pace. And if you like writing long chapters, so be it! Even if those turn into trial and error.

I wish you the best of luck. :blob_aww:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes

My readers aren’t that interactive with me, probably since my novel is quite new… or since my genre is quite… not sought after.
Checking your valid reads might be a solution. As it shows people who read the chapter more than thirty seconds. If its high, then you can assume things, but don't be shy to ask them, or add a poll if you want.

RayneStorm

I think if the scene is lasting for so many words then the scene itself might be too long. I would personally split it into two or more chapters, just because I like reading shorter chapters. but you are the writer. If the chapter needs 10k words then it needs 10k words but only you would know that. Sorry for that kind of answer (I hate those) but my advice would be to split it up unless it's absolutely necessary to keep it long. I didn't want to split a few of my chapters only to realize that it was a better read that way

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I have run into this issue once or twice. I suggest reading it out loud. *There may be an app for this. I use Word, but I know that one isn't available to you*. That helps me personally to catch some of those errors and many more. The more you write, the more you will notice you will get better at catching yourself.

Like *HAH* I said this earlier! I do it all the time lol. Here is where experience is the best. It also helps that you already are conscious that it happens, so that itself will help prevent it.

For me personally, I started in June and my writing has improved so much since then! It is amazing how far I have come! I am sure you experience that too! Just move at your own pace. And if you like writing long chapters, so be it! Even if those turn into trial and error.

I wish you the best of luck. :blob_aww:
Haha yes, I will definitely use a reading out loud app, I already have one actually, to check my repition. And same here, my writing has improved a lot! That’s why I’m editing my story.
Checking your valid reads might be a solution. As it shows people who read the chapter more than thirty seconds. If its high, then you can assume things, but don't be shy to ask them, or add a poll if you want.
How do you do that? See how long people read the chapter?
I think if the scene is lasting for so many words then the scene itself might be too long. I would personally split it into two or more chapters, just because I like reading shorter chapters. but you are the writer. If the chapter needs 10k words then it needs 10k words but only you would know that. Sorry for that kind of answer (I hate those) but my advice would be to split it up unless it's absolutely necessary to keep it long. I didn't want to split a few of my chapters only to realize that it was a better read that way
I’m done right now and it became 8K. And it’s less of a scene and more like an event? That means different perspectives and stuff. But I’ll try editing and reading it out loud to see if it’s too repetitive.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Valid reads do not show how long everysingle person readed your chapter but the amount of people who readed your chapter more than thirty seconds.
How do you do that? See how long people read the chapter?

To see that. Go to the statistic page of your story, go to the readers, then there should be a clickable button (it writes gained)

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Unpopular opinion, but 4k is max I can handle with my short attention span and lack of time.

The thing is, as already mentioned, readers won’t care about length as long as the story interest them. But once it runs out, it can be very intimidating. I’ve read a story with 8-12k chapters before but ultimately put it on hold because I couldn’t read an entire chapter in one sitting (there was always something interfering while reading).

3k already suffice to call it a shortstory. 8k+ is already a novella. Idk your reader base and update frequency, but too much content can overwhelm readers and might doesn’t work in your favor.

Maybe instead of uploading long chapters, it’s better to split the chapter and upload more times a week. It’s a old and proven formula to gain readers and exposure.

Tropic_Panda

If you don't have any obligation to fullfill (contract, financial supporter, etc.), then write the way you most comfortable with. And just ignore any complaint about too long/short chapter or other complaint. Also, feel free to strangle your reader with clifthanger if it would motivate you more.

Basically, anything you do is not a sin if in the end you produce good/decent writing. Or at least, help improve your skill.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Unpopular opinion, but 4k is max I can handle with my short attention span and lack of time.

The thing is, as already mentioned, readers won’t care about length as long as the story interest them. But once it runs out, it can be very intimidating. I’ve read a story with 8-12k chapters before but ultimately put it on hold because I couldn’t read an entire chapter in one sitting (there was always something interfering while reading).

3k already suffice to call it a shortstory. 8k+ is already a novella. Idk your reader base and update frequency, but too much content can overwhelm readers and might doesn’t work in your favor.

Maybe instead of uploading long chapters, it’s better to split the chapter and upload more times a week. It’s a old and proven formula to gain readers and exposure.
Nothing unpopular about it. It is true people favor the shorter chapters. *For some reason. This isn't me though.* It also depends on the audience targeted and the time a reader has. Each is their own individual.

I also believe brief chapters have a harder time getting things done. *Example: nothing occurs in a chapter.* That dulls me out. I hate fillers.

Though, I don't see the difference between finishing an unfinished chapter and going onto a book with 100 chapters with 1.5k words each.

But that is just me. I love novellas! :blob_aww: *I can already hear all the PTSD from school reading all those boring books assigned.*

Updating faster/more frequently will gain more readers. So shorter chapters tend to do well on this. This is another note op can base their decision on.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

You're totally right with that. But I'm someone who managed to find the time and energy to read a novel with 7 million words in just four months. So I actually do enjoy reading long chapters. It actually depends on the author. Honestly, I like longer chapters than shorter ones.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I personally don't understand the attraction for breaking chapters up into small "chapters" that suddenly end mid conversation and pick up next chapter like nothing happened. It's easier for keeping a schedule, but doing it intentionally... I grew up reading real books though, where that was literally impossible.

If there's a natural break point, it's fine to split it into parts. If not, write until you find one. Even if you triple your normal word count, lol.

Really though, that's a just a question of your skills as an author. It's easy enough to create a break point where there shouldn't be one. Even in the middle of a fight, you can have both combatants stop to catch their breath and reassess one another. That's a 'natural' stopping point.

So write until you think it's done.

Jemini

almost done writing my chapter, I took me like a week because of procrastination. The thing is, it’s at like 7.3K words, and I still have 1-2K more to write. It’s a long… sequence in the story that I’d like to have in one single chapter. Since this is an edited version of the previous chapter that was 4.5K words. I’ve added waaaay more. Maybe too much? should I split my chapter into two? Or do you think they’d have the energy to read all of that?

If we're talking the standard among Japanese webnovels, that's actually about the average chapter length. The Western "market" though has some VERY different standards. On this end, you want to go for something more like 1.5K - 2.5K, preferably closer to the middle. That's what all the top writers over here do, and thus it's also the standard readers have gotten used to. So, you really don't want to stray too far from that standard in either direction.

I'm writing in that range right now, but if I were to ever try to have my series translated and brought over to a Japanese site (not likely, but I can dream) then I would try to combine a few chapters in order to make them closer to the Japanese standard for exactly the same reasons.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. My chapters are often less that 1000 words.
IMHO, chapter length is totally dependant on the content. Did you spend your entire vocabulary waxing eloquent about the sewers of Paris circa 1810 or maudlin about the slang of street urchins? If so, shorten your chapters and cut to the chase. If, on the other hand, you spent 10,000 words giving full account of a seige and advanced the plot in profound and meaningful ways, that's cool. Just don't waste my time.

scribesaga

If you can break it up, it would give you the opportunity to having multiple releases that week. The more releases you can have, the more readers you're likely to pick up.