Is this weird?

Asami_Shirogane

When I read random books (such as the George RR Martin books) before watching movie adaptations featuring RL actors, I often envision them as anime characters rather than real people. This is primarily caused by my former binge watching weeb habits I used to have before the shackles of life caused me to get a job to survive. But I still have the tendency to envision them as anime characters as a means of getting immersed into the series. Is there something wrong with me or does anyone else have a similar mindset?

iamaducklingwriter

No. I lack in imagination department and I can't imagine real people while I read. I often see them as anime or animals...(don't ask why animals, I just do)

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
That's just how your imagination works in the major aspect. Those who never got into animu or just really disliked it will envision things via "real life" filter or movie-like stuff. So, your brain kinda uses what you like. I've seen the change myself. When I started reading fantasy as a kid I didn't know of animu and my brain mostly used movies, then one day switched mostly to animated filter as I started enjoying these more than normal movies.

D

Deleted member 29316

The loss of imagination would make you into a boring adult, so it's fine if you imagine things and people that way.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
I somehow imagine it the other way around perhaps because all the live action adaptations that ruined my anime vision.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
As long as it's stuck on your head, should be fine... I think. It'd be a different story if you started seeing everything as anime in real life.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
No... but if you're imagining a gore and seinen genre where you imagine them dying in a gruesome way.... Well, that's bad, I tell you.

D

Deleted member 46002

I think that there is nothing strange about it. Nevertheless, I imagine my main characters in the anime world as well while I am writing :).

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
I do that sometimes. Nothing strange about it. I think it immerses me as well, too.

One significant memory I have of something like this is when I read the Percy Jackson book series.
I imagined the female lead as looking like a child I saw on the cover of a picture book. It was quite weird to see her as a real person in the movies.

I think it's funny seeing the real thing compared to what you imagine like if you read a Tomb Raider novel and imagined her as Dora the Explorer.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That sounds awesome! I might fall in love with more fictional characters if I saw them as anime characters. Just enjoy life and like what you like <3

Asami_Shirogane

No... but if you're imagining a gore and seinen genre where you imagine them dying in a gruesome way.... Well, that's bad, I tell you.
> George RR Martin
> Blood and Gore imagery

I don't think you can escape the inevitably of running into a scene like this. And considering I've seen gory anime like Hellsing Ultimate, my mind can perfectly mold a gory scene.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
When I read random books (such as the George RR Martin books) before watching movie adaptations featuring RL actors, I often envision them as anime characters rather than real people. This is primarily caused by my former binge watching weeb habits I used to have before the shackles of life caused me to get a job to survive. But I still have the tendency to envision them as anime characters as a means of getting immersed into the series. Is there something wrong with me or does anyone else have a similar mindset?
Nope. I don't even watch anime anymore except to rewatch the ones I currently own on DVD. And I only own (Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, S-Cry-Ed, and all of Black Lagoon) and sometimes I go back into the classic Inuyasha or Yuyu Hakusho. I don't watch anything new. The last new anime I watched was Gundam's Iron-Blooded Orphans when that was coming out. The ONLY recent thing I've contemplated trying is the new Dragonball Super's and I'm still hesitating on it because the last Dragonball Z arc I cared for was the Cell Saga. I found the Buu Saga lackluster by comparison and Dragonball GT was just all-around lame to me. Naruto Shippuden's bullshit ending and the mere existence of Boruto is what finally broke me and now I can't make myself watch anything new anymore. Burnt too often. I also am far, far stricter on what manga's I read. If I see even a hint of some sort of development I despise, I drop it. Moderation is not a specialty of Asian/Eastern entertainment. I'm just fed up with certain tropes and plot-weaknesses. And yet even with all this, I STILL ALWAYS imagine MY characters and ANYONE'S character as anime characters in my mind as I envision something.

I think it's just something that happens after you watch anime. It's like a psychological sticky-thing that sticks with you even after you've lost the majority of your interest in that specific type of media entertainment.

Last edited: