Isekai Sucks

Tox_Cage

I'm gonna be real with y'all.

Isekai fucking sucks.

I don't hate Isekai, it's just that nowdays...

I compare the Isekai "genre" with the Battle Royale game "genre".

All of them are pretty much the fucking same.

Like, you know why people aren't talking much about them? Yeah I know, the trend died out, but the fact is that Battle Royale didn't work as a genre.

You jump of a plane or something on a random place of the map, gets guns, die or win.

Imagine doing this exact sane thing over and over again, hundreds of times, people got tired of it.

But in the Isekai genre case, I feel like people keep beating the dead horse.

To be honest here most isekai stories are just a copy of each other, most of the actually interesting things that could be work with were already written, but people just don't stop.

Yeah I know, there's almost an infinite amount of ideas to use but, we gotta consider that a lot of those are just bad ideas or stupid ideas.

And here we are now, a lot of stupid stories that give you brainrot, you literally have to turn off your brain to read them.

You can't take Isekai "seriously", because it quite literally became a parody of itself.

A lot of Isekai subverts the genre and take it as part of the core of the story. Yeah that's cool and all but it already has been done.

I feel like people just take a list of things Isekai have and checkmarks the box.

Game system? (X)

Op protagonist? (X)

Generic Fantasy setting? (X)

You got the point.

Geez people are literally on the definition of insanity lol.

Reading the same thing over and over again.

But instead of expecting something to change.

They think something has changed.

That's all for now

What y'all think?

Vnator

Agreed. But that's why I tried writing my own satire on it, with an organization of ex-isekai protagonists trying to police the process. So yeah, something truly different! But just like battle royale games, the masses flock to the same old thing, so it's hard to get popular unless you follow the formula. That's what it is now, because formula apparently = success.

I'm still going to continue writing dumb shit that makes fun of it and do my own actually different thing with it. Next up is a story of a decent guy who gets sent to a world out of a smut novel and tries his best to avoid it while building himself a normal life. Hopefully it'll release soon and be popular.

SailusGebel

CL

@Vnator Explained it pretty damn well.

Along the same line as this thread's topic, I would agree with the "Villainess of Otome Games" trending theme having died. It followed a specific formula for it to work; a "checklist". I thought of that as an issue and it proven to be true. I haven't seen a new title of those for awhile now.

Back to the main topic, Isekai's (in general) I would say are not being the real problem. It would be that formula, that "checklist". It is one huge weakness. I believe that we've created restrictions on its definition by popular demand because of its past success.

We dug for gold, discovered that gold, and in the belief there'd be more we kept digging in the same spot. That gets wastefully boring real fast.

cheriechechan

I'm gonna be real with y'all.

Isekai fucking sucks.

I don't hate Isekai, it's just that nowdays...

I compare the Isekai "genre" with the Battle Royale game "genre".

All of them are pretty much the fucking same.

Like, you know why people aren't talking much about them? Yeah I know, the trend died out, but the fact is that Battle Royale didn't work as a genre.

You jump of a plane or something on a random place of the map, gets guns, die or win.

Imagine doing this exact sane thing over and over again, hundreds of times, people got tired of it.

But in the Isekai genre case, I feel like people keep beating the dead horse.

To be honest here most isekai stories are just a copy of each other, most of the actually interesting things that could be work with were already written, but people just don't stop.

Yeah I know, there's almost an infinite amount of ideas to use but, we gotta consider that a lot of those are just bad ideas or stupid ideas.

And here we are now, a lot of stupid stories that give you brainrot, you literally have to turn off your brain to read them.

You can't take Isekai "seriously", because it quite literally became a parody of itself.

A lot of Isekai subverts the genre and take it as part of the core of the story. Yeah that's cool and all but it already has been done.

I feel like people just take a list of things Isekai have and checkmarks the box.

Game system? (X)

Op protagonist? (X)

Generic Fantasy setting? (X)

You got the point.

Geez people are literally on the definition of insanity lol.

Reading the same thing over and over again.

But instead of expecting something to change.

They think something has changed.

That's all for now

What y'all think?
Agreed. That is why I do not read stories under that "mediocre" genre along with "romance/love."

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Isekai....battle royal....wait....

Isekai Battle Royal? Holy shit! Why is there no one trying to write something like this at all given that we sometimes combine games and isekai?

Like, listen.

A goddess felt like there are too many people to reincarnate to another world but sending people there have become overcrowded from too many people being sent to different worlds.

Because of too many souls being managed by the gods, they decided to make a competition to send 100 souls into a world where monsters and different species roam and they literally drop them from out of the skies while sending them to different locations to fight each other off.

Given the expansive world, the gods decided to crumble the world bit by bit in the edge where the players must battle while trying to survive, given items from killing monsters or skills or loot they obtain and finally run to the center to be the top and send to their perspective worlds with a cheat(which they obtain from winning)?

Hmn...i can already imagine someone had already written this idea given isekai/battle royal have already been invented already.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Hmn...i can already imagine someone had already written this idea given isekai/battle royal have already been invented already.
You are correct. It comes up at least once a month on the Latest Series tab. I've even helped theory craft a few on the forum. Actually, I'm fairly sure you were involved in one of those discussions?

EternalSunset0

Hmmm, I personally don't think so.

Sure, the themes and settings get recycled, but you can't tell me Arifureta and Shield Hero are clones to each other despite the whole "betrayed guy goes edgelord and becomes OP while amassing a harem of different species" premise.

Same with KonoSuba and Priconne or any other "fantasy guy and his idiot harem party goes on adventures" shows. Same with SAO and the billions of video game Isekai out there since they all provide something new to the table or focus on certain differing aspects, even if it's just a superficial element or two.

Gate is a vastly different (namely more violent and propagandist) take on Outbreak Company's premise.

Even in the battle royale genre, my stance sticks. I don't think Platinum End and BTOOOM are too similar at all. Throw Mirai Nikki into the mix as well Gleipnir. Battle in 5 Seconds does have something to set itself apart from say, Darwin's Game. They each have their own story beats and emphasis despite all being "similar battle royales," and people enjoying them to differing degrees shows that they provide something different, even if the eye test at first groups them together as one genre.

Probably an unpopular take overall, but hey, this is also the same guy who liked both Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk War while understanding that they both are actually different despite the memes almost a decade ago.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Isekai is the field, the canvas and the block of clay. Blame the authors for continuously rehashing the same idea or don't, because true imagination doesn't really exist and it is by the random mixing of old ideas and their pieces to get a "new idea".

Because if the guy drops into a random world and gets shanked, eaten or raped by the first few minutes due to "realism", you can expect to attract the wrong attentions. Soul of Negary did a good job (then completely fucked it up by the second or third world) of giving us a twist; the system is an asshole and it immediately kills him due to difference in microbiology.

Once again, isekai is not the problem, the problem is that there is a safe path already, the new authors rather be raking in the nostalgia than being trailblazers that most likely end up dead.

ArcanePunkster

Hmmm, I personally don't think so.

Sure, the themes and settings get recycled, but you can't tell me Arifureta and Shield Hero are clones to each other despite the whole "betrayed guy goes edgelord and becomes OP while amassing a harem of different species" premise.

Same with KonoSuba and Priconne or any other "fantasy guy and his idiot harem party goes on adventures" shows. Same with SAO and the billions of video game Isekai out there since they all provide something new to the table or focus on certain differing aspects, even if it's just a superficial element or two.

Gate is a vastly different (namely more violent and propagandist) take on Outbreak Company's premise.

Even in the battle royale genre, my stance sticks. I don't think Platinum End and BTOOOM are too similar at all. Throw Mirai Nikki into the mix as well Gleipnir. Battle in 5 Seconds does have something to set itself apart from say, Darwin's Game. They each have their own story beats and emphasis despite all being "similar battle royales," and people enjoying them to differing degrees shows that they provide something different, even if the eye test at first groups them together as one genre.

Probably an unpopular take overall, but hey, this is also the same guy who liked both Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk War while understanding that they both are actually different despite the memes almost a decade ago.
Personally agree with both EternalSummer and Tox Cage.

There are plenty of Isekai that differ from one another in small aspects and are also similar in the same regard, but a lot of them still have their own image that makes them what they are in their own way.

But I will also agree that there a plenty of copy and pasted ideas most notably on ScribbleHub where people are clearly just doing a slight variation of a certain popular Japanese Light Novel.

At the end of the day, there certain isekai's that I am drawn and others that I just don't care about of certain tropes that they include.

Then again, my most favourite Isekai are usually the dark fantasy ones which I find to be the least popular so I guess have no credible stance on this lol