Isolation and the ramifications

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Why is it that whenever a story has a character that was forced into isolation, they rarely express the ramifications of that isolation? Some will discuss how the character has changed as a result but those changes are rarely ever anything more than superficial and disappear after the character has escaped the isolation. There are never any longstanding effects as a result of what is essentially mental torture. 1 week of isolation, starved of human contact, can lead to hallucinations, paranoia, depression, claustrophobia, and more. Any longer period of time could result in longstanding phycological effects that are rarely explored. Castaway was a great example of this. There are some exceptions though, as some authors claim that the character was too busy trying to survive to be effected and yes, this is a strategy that can be used to prolong ones sanity. However, that is only a matter of time until the effects eventually start to wear the character down as the continual stress will speed up the process.

Agentt

Thighs
Escapism, people like to fantasise what cool things they will do when they get into such situations. Like how mystery thriller rarely ever talk about the dead body pooping itself; or how action stories don't ever consider anxiety

Agentt

Thighs
Escapism, people like to fantasise what cool things they will do when they get into such situations. Like how mystery thriller rarely ever talk about the dead body pooping itself; or how action stories don't ever consider anxiety
Or how no story apart from Goblin Slayer talks about how weapons need to be sharpen so regularly they can become useless midfight sometimes.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Isolation is the highlight of my day. Well... I am an introvert, anyway. If I were an MC, I would be happy not to interact with mobs and stupid NPCs all day long.

Also, @SailusGebel has already been enlightened and knows the answer to all questions.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Isolation doesn’t have as many ramifications when it’s voluntary and there is a goal in mind. If you’re isolated with nothing to do, then there will be problems.

Like if you’re locked in a room all day with no interaction against your will verses choosing to lock yourself away.

There is a big difference between the both.

So a lot of authors take the example of a voluntary isolation and apply it to involuntary. That’s how fiction works.

Tempokai

Overworked One

If you want to know what happens when you're isolated, watch this video.

I had chills when he was telling about when he started to have hallucinations.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Or how no story apart from Goblin Slayer talks about how weapons need to be sharpen so regularly they can become useless midfight sometimes.
For real. Though a sword is still a good blunt weapon nonetheless.
Isolation is the highlight of my day. Well... I am an introvert, anyway. If I were an MC, I would be happy not to interact with mobs and stupid NPCs all day long.

Also, @SailusGebel has already been enlightened and knows the answer to all questions.

So that's different. I'm talking about full isolation. No humans, no internet, just you, your mind, and whatever plants and animals you happen to be near. Eventually it would wear even the most introverted person down. Though Sailus is right.

If you want to know what happens when you're isolated, watch this video.

I had chills when he was telling about when he started to have hallucinations.
That's what I'm talking about!
Isolation doesn’t have as many ramifications when it’s voluntary and there is a goal in mind. If you’re isolated with nothing to do, then there will be problems.

Like if you’re locked in a room all day with no interaction against your will verses choosing to lock yourself away.

There is a big difference between the both.

So a lot of authors take the example of a voluntary isolation and apply it to involuntary. That’s how fiction works.
True.

J_Chemist

Why is it that whenever a story has a character that was forced into isolation, they rarely express the ramifications of that isolation? Some will discuss how the character has changed as a result but those changes are rarely ever anything more than superficial and disappear after the character has escaped the isolation. There are never any longstanding effects as a result of what is essentially mental torture. 1 week of isolation, starved of human contact, can lead to hallucinations, paranoia, depression, claustrophobia, and more. Any longer period of time could result in longstanding phycological effects that are rarely explored. Castaway was a great example of this. There are some exceptions though, as some authors claim that the character was too busy trying to survive to be effected and yes, this is a strategy that can be used to prolong ones sanity. However, that is only a matter of time until the effects eventually start to wear the character down as the continual stress will speed up the process.
A lot of these failures come from a lack of knowledge and understanding of what those ramifications are as well as the long term effects. Most people just write what they think will happen and without doing proper research. Thus leading to a very shallow character detail that just goes away because the author is too inexperienced. The same idea happens with other mental problems or handicaps. It all simply boils down to the author not knowing what they're doing but plugging it in anyways because they want it to be a piece of their character's puzzle.

In the end they just look foolish and the story hurts for it.

JayDirex

For real. Though a sword is still a good blunt weapon nonetheless.

So that's different. I'm talking about full isolation. No humans, no internet, just you, your mind, and whatever plants and animals you happen to be near. Eventually it would wear even the most introverted person down. Though Sailus is right.

That's what I'm talking about!

True.
I'll give you a discussion Paul :blob_reach:

If the isolation of the character is a truly major event, and has everything to do with the story, then the author will talk about it enough so that reader grasps that the MC is "going through things" basically every day because of the trauma. The trauma is then a major part of the character and his story. With that, readers will see how it affects the character's every day decisions throughout the story.

HOWEVER... writing with the PTSD as a mark of the character can make for a dark (or depressing) story. Because, believe me, most of us readers are not into the constant reminder of some character's PTSD (to our detriment of course).

So, like many many many, authors. PTSD is just glossed over to present some depth to the character. It's almost like the author saying, "The MC is dark and deep because he's seen some shit. Believe me Bro. Now just go with it."

...and most of us do just go with it. MC kills people for nothing (he has a dark past, i told you he did, even though I don't show the connection between that past and what he's doing now. Just go with it.) :blob_neutral:

and for many readers, just skimming the best parts, ^ this is good enough. :blob_whistle:

Of course, "Good enough" is a spectrum. With the happy medium somewhere in between where the writer does connect the MC's past and present actions, but not so much that he's boring us with flashback and backstory.

The other extreme you've read: "a little backstory, and not much to connect past to present actions, thereby making the MC's present actions shallow. If not unprecedented (according to the author: "Trust me bro, The MC is deep."

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
People are lazy and don't do enough research. Another way of looking at it is that people don't have enough time for that level of research.

Again, is there nothing they cannot solve?
I think my origin of the quonset manager captured quite well going insane alone on an island.

Those help you maintain sanity
Try having the boobs and having your nipples sucked for 1500 days. These days, it's a choice for most parents. Before we domesticated other mammals, you did it or your offspring died.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
How do u know that it did not have an effect on them maybe if the mc take his pills all his friends will disapear xD