Killing God in first chapter

TotallyHuman

Why. I have never read a story that did that that made the story any more interesting. If anything, it only makes the story anticlimactic since we don't get any idea of how strong a God even is
onetimememe.jpeg

In any case, the real question is, is it even possible to write a protagonist strong from the start without the whole story even being redundant and not have the protagonist lose their powers or having to introduce the xianxia super mega duper primordial god buddha devil abrahamic God realm + 50 others above already existing power system?

melchi

What is a custom title?
I read a light novel where the MC slayed the dragon god in the first chapter by accident. He just got transferred to another world and the only spell he had was meteor. It turned out it was a lot more realistic than the spell his character had in game. When he got to the first town everyone thought it was some kind of end of days omen and was wondering what caused it. I forget the name of the story though.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Plot them against problems that are not conductive to brick hammer solutions, playing their power as source of expected competency either from others or the character themselves?

MrPopocap

Why. I have never read a story that did that that made the story any more interesting. If anything, it only makes the story anticlimactic since we don't get any idea of how strong a God even is
View attachment 16232
In any case, the real question is, is it even possible to write a protagonist strong from the start without the whole story even being redundant and not have the protagonist lose their powers or having to introduce the xianxia super mega duper primordial god buddha devil abrahamic God realm + 50 others above already existing power system?
You can read my story (wink, wink) https://www.scribblehub.com/series/619639/reincarnated-as-poseidon-in-gow/ , and see if I managed to do it or not.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I feel like any story where a protagonist is so powerful that the balance becomes one sided is just bound to be boring at least to me. Look at cinema the vast vast majority of action movies involve a group that is outnumbered or out gunned rising above the odds. The exceptions I can think of are historical war films, and Star Wars Episode 3, but then at the most both sides are evenly matched.

IdleLucifer

View attachment 16232
Overlord, One Punch Man, and others I can't remember at the moment

GodlyKamui

Onee-san Smut Enjoyer
I read a light novel where the MC slayed the dragon god in the first chapter by accident. He just got transferred to another world and the only spell he had was meteor. It turned out it was a lot more realistic than the spell his character had in game. When he got to the first town everyone thought it was some kind of end of days omen and was wondering what caused it. I forget the name of the story though.
That's Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody. Pretty cool. It was one of my favorites until the author gave it a shitty ending...

IdleLucifer

Death march is the name

melchi

What is a custom title?
Thanks, I get so many stories mixed up in my head.

GodlyKamui

Onee-san Smut Enjoyer
Save me looking it up. How did it end?
Basically MC kills an evil version of himself who was a god who killed other gods with the help of another goddess. Turns out MC was the Creator God all along (obv since he created the game world), the dragon goddess Is revived, and it is revealed that she and the MC were childhood friends or something along those lines. They save the universe from alien tentacle monsters supreme, and everything is good. MC then proceeds to clone himself and give a clone to each of the love interests he had and then he returns to a "normal" earth to his office. It turns out he was still the creator god. We got some epilogue for the love interests and their mc clones, I think. And the end is that MC made a game about his adventure in the other world and named the game Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody...

It is a very shitty summary, but that's what I remember. :blobtaco:

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
That's basically what happened in World Keeper. More or less. Anyway, there could be interesting ways to do it. Being Isekai'd to replace an ancient god who wants you to release them from the burden of managing the world for millennia. Then as the newly christened god you'd still have to actually build your power base to go along with the authority granted by the former god.

CapitaoCaverna

I quite liked the webcomic... or was it a manhwa? "The Magician" the guy was extremely powerful and legendary from the start but the plot was interesting.

Well, he was not at the "Slay God" level of power, but he was an immortal mage without equal that was hunted by an entire nation.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
... Make the problems unsolvable by MC's brute strength, ie through wits and most definitely developing side characters?

And when the opposing side decides to fuck around and find out, MC can oneshot them? This is basically One Punch Man premise.

In Overlord, Ainz is often behind the scene/ not go xianxia MC and let the sides do their part first before curbstomping everyone to the ground. The crusaders at the first village? Show how much of a monster they are before Ainz mops them up. Clementine? Monster before getting rekted. The empire sending in explorers? Showcasing that they are the intruders and that there is no such thing as Excessive Use of Force in Self Defense.

In Death March, Satou hides his true power (mostly) and randomly does shit to provoke local bullies until they retaliate, giving Satou the justification to cream them. Featuring world building/ sightseeing.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Avoiding fighting is the easy way. A slice of life, a kingdom builder, a romance. Anything's fine, as long as combat prowess is just a side note.

You could also just not have a scaling power level. The first god and the last god are relatively similar in power level, but with completely different strengths, weaknesses, and powers. Then make fighting each one require entirely different strategies and skillsets. Instead of a progression fantasy, it's more like a puzzle battler.
Tension comes from the fact that the first god's death reveals the MC's existence to the rest- so now the gods are making preparations, creating a time limit and the possibility that the MC will be the one getting hunted.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
If your MC is super OP from the start, then you generally don't want your story to be an action-focused novel.

If your story is more of a slice-of-life thingie where the OP MC powers are mostly convenient to make things keep moving forward, then you can still have a pretty interesting narrative, simply because your story isn't revolving around the MC stomping things, but instead, the OPness is just one characteristic of the MC among many others.

Alternatively, you can put the MC in situations where the OPness can't solve the problem. I believe there is a classic Superman comic, where Superman sees a woman that is attempting to suicide. She wants to jump out of a building, and the police is surrounding the building and stuff... And like, sure Superman could go, fly to the top of the building and bring the woman down, but that wouldn't solve the problem, and it would be violating the woman's free will, so... Superman doesn't do that. He instead flies closer to her, and talks to her, gives her time to think and reflect on things, and eventually convinces her to not suicide... It's an interesting story, because Superman's powers aren't worth anything there. It's his morals and his empathy that are able to get to the woman and convince her to keep on living.

Or maybe you could try making the story one where the MC can't really control their power. Where every time they try doing anything, they always cause horrible amounts of destruction or something... Or maybe they go mad (like Hulk) when they're using their powers and stuff. So the conflict doesn't revolve around whether or not the MC can win, but whether or not the MC should fight, which would mean accepting the consequences of going all out and causing horrible destruction.

And uhn... Those are the main ways that I can think of that can let you create an interesting story with an OP MC from the start... I definitely think there is potential in this kind of story. The author just needs to be careful with how they use the OPness~

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
And uhn... Those are the main ways that I can think of that can let you create an interesting story with an OP MC from the start... I definitely think there is potential in this kind of story. The author just needs to be careful with how they use the OPness~
Can also have power loss, nerf the mc early on. Though I hear from people that readers generally don’t like that very much.

Vnator

View attachment 16232
I just thought of a cool idea for a story. Super OP nigh-invincible protagonist runs around and does generic OP protagonist things like getting high numbers, forming a harem, and just getting a bunch of dopamine hits that appeal to their basest desires. But it turns out it was a spell cast by the gods of that world to keep the protagonist their mindless thrall while they ruled in their stead.

So the protagonist's quest is somehow accidentally pointed to killing the gods by some young man or woman, and they do just that in an epic battle. And once they're dead, the spell is broken and the protagonist finally gets their mind back and realizes the kind of life they've been living as being the opposite of the simple and kind life they want, so now they're committed to fixing their mistakes and the world around them.
This is chapter 1.

The story going on is about them solving the more complex problems of the world and undoing the decades/centuries of damage with a group of friends who they make while travelling the land who happen to know how things work.