Last Names/Surnames

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
So around a few chapters into my story, my MC had devised a plan to get noticed by the King of Fahndra, the country he was in.

It was to become an adventurer, possibly assist when certain areas were in danger, and all in all just improving his reputation.

The MC planned on becoming an honorary noble, meaning he wouldn't be restricted by the chains of nobility.

Now I'm at the point where the King is supposed to award them this. I'm trying to think up some last names for the MC's family, but nothing comes to mind.

Anybody got some ideas?

SailusGebel

What MC is efficient at can be used to form a surname. Or the king can give MC a surname according to MC's biggest\greatest achievement.

Lorelliad

What MC is efficient at can be used to form a surname. Or the king can give MC a surname according to MC's biggest\greatest achievement.
Nothing comes to mind for now, but I'll think about it, thanks.

SailusGebel

Nothing comes to mind for now, but I'll think about it, thanks.
You know, you gave almost zero details, so it's hard to come up with something more specific. Like, does MC perhaps have a crest? What about the previous family of MC? Are there other honorary nobles, and what are their surnames? Even if there are no honorary nobles right now, there were previously such cases in the history of a kingdom, right? If not, it's much bigger than just giving a surname. Maybe MC and the king have a great relationship, and the king decides to give MC a surname that is familiar to his own?

Lorelliad

You know, you gave almost zero details, so it's hard to come up with something more specific. Like, does MC perhaps have a crest? What about the previous family of MC? Are there other honorary nobles, and what are their surnames? Even if there are no honorary nobles right now, there were previously such cases in the history of a kingdom, right? If not, it's much bigger than just giving a surname. Maybe MC and the king have a great relationship, and the king decides to give MC a surname that is familiar to his own?
1. No, no crest, I'm afraid. His eyes do glow green whenever he activates specific spells.

2. Nothing too serious. His previous family were just
low class civilians. He was the eldest sibling, so he often worked a lot.

3. Honorary nobles are not unheard of. It's just that the threshold required to be reached is pretty high, so there's a tiny chance that you could get noticed. MC gets to cheat through it though, through means I won't explain. Since I haven't released the new chapters.

4. Well, yes. It's just not the norm for a new noble house to be formed from things like this.

5. Well, I guess... you could say they have a good relationship? Stepfather is very old, so...

Integrating the MC's family into the Royal Family? That could work, I guess. But I want them to stand as a singular house.

Edit: Had to change some stuff I missed.

SailusGebel

1. No, no crest, I'm afraid. His eyes do glow green whenever he activates specific spells.

2. Nothing too serious. His previous family were j low class civilians. He was the eldest siblings, so he often worked a lot.

3. Honorary nobles are not unheard of. It's just that the threshold required to be reached is pretty high, so there's a tiny chance that you could get noticed. MC gets to cheat through it though, through means I won't explain. Since I haven't released the new chapters.

4. Well, yes. It's just not the norm for a new noble house to be formed from things like this.

5. Well, I guess... you could say they have a good relationship? Stepfather is very old, so...

Integrating the MC's family into the Royal Family? That could work, I guess. But I want them to stand as a singular house.
I was not talking about integrating. I was talking about the following thing. It's just an example concerning only words, so don't overthink this. In the game of thrones, there is Starks, and there are Karstarks. Karstark is vassals, yet they still hold a part of the name of their suzerain. Imagine the king in your story has the surname Bergren(example). Why can't the king give your MC Berg as a surname? Also, you are answering questions, yet you don't provide any additional info. I was guessing as I asked these questions.

Lorelliad

I was not talking about integrating. I was talking about the following thing. It's just an example concerning only words, so don't overthink this. In the game of thrones, there is Starks, and there are Karstarks. Karstark is vassals, yet they still hold a part of the name of their suzerain. Imagine the king in your story has the surname Bergren(example). Why can't the king give your MC Berg as a surname? Also, you are answering questions, yet you don't provide any additional info. I was guessing as I asked these questions.
Oh, my bad.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Pendragon.

Unless you want to get completely original name. In which case, just use one of those word generators then combine the two words. Or you can make your own based on what fits his personality or deeds.

For example, Drakenslay, Frostmoore, Rosewither, Spellsong

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Echoing what a lot of the others are saying, surnames were originally used to describe occupations. Tailor, Fletcher, Fisher, Baker, Smith, Carpenter.

So it's completely reasonable to use occupation-surnames for this.

A way I've generated names is I use a site like behindthename and browse through until I find a surname I like, with a meaning that resonates with the character. I would also use another site for forenames (like 20000-names), and I cobble stuff together until I get a name with

a forename that I like

a surname that I like

When put together, I like how it sounds.

It sounds like your character's forename is already decided, so you can pick and choose a surname to go with that particular character :)

bailor122

Hello! You can use Scottish Clan names. A few examples:
Clan Campbell
Clan MacLeod
Clan Sinclair
Clan Mackenzie
Clan Douglas
Clan MacLean
Clan MacNab
Clan Abercromby
Clan Abernethy
Clan Aikenhead
Clan Macfarlane

Source:
Unusual names

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
So around a few chapters into my story, my MC had devised a plan to get noticed by the King of Fahndra, the country he was in.

It was to become an adventurer, possibly assist when certain areas were in danger, and all in all just improving his reputation.

The MC planned on becoming an honorary noble, meaning he wouldn't be restricted by the chains of nobility.

Now I'm at the point where the King is supposed to award them this. I'm trying to think up some last names for the MC's family, but nothing comes to mind.

Anybody got some ideas?
How about Alenhertz? Alen means red in Bulgarian, so, bravery. And Hertz means heart in German. So, a brave heart. Or red heart. It depends on from where you are looking at it.