money....

so, what amount of money can a beginnner author with above avg story make(in a month)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
i am new here and this is out curiousity..uhhh...so....
How much you make depends most on the genre, the type of story, and your target audience. If you write something that isn’t mainstream, generating sales is very difficult. Oh, but even if you do write something mainstream, it’s entirely possible you won’t make a cent still.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
It's 0 until you have built a fan base and/or a significant amount of chapters to binge plus advanced chapters you paywalled. It has a lot to do with marketing rather than quality. "Above average" means nothing if nobody knows it.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
You'll be lucky if you can make $10. The realistic poll option would be 0-10 USD.
In all honesty when looking back at when I first started writing a comedy based Wuxia/Xianxia parody novel on RR over two years ago, the first month I published it to Amazon it actually made $110. It was my third story, but the first I ever completed a volume for and self published. But as for monthly, it’s impossible to say what it would be steady.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
In all honesty when looking back at when I first started writing a comedy based Wuxia/Xianxia parody novel on RR, the first month I published it to Amazon it actually made $110. It was my third story, but the first I ever completed a volume for and self published. But as for monthly, it’s impossible to say what it would be steady.
As I said, lucky!

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
As I said, lucky!
What’s funnier is the next story after that, I got way luckier. RR reviewers hated that story with a blazing passion like they wished death upon the story but for whatever reason the sales did pretty well.

In all honesty, it probably isn’t all attributed to just luck though. If you specifically plan your story title and description for having certain key words in advance and the Amazon algorithm picks them up through your story’s metadata, your odds of successful sales increase. But finding the right low competition keywords that are highly searched is the difficult part that requires a fair amount of research.

So if you really want percentages, I’d say it’s 80% luck 20% research.

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
seriously, this is the wrong question. If you're getting into writing to make money, stop now.
They never said they’re interested in getting into writing for making money. They said out of curiosity. Is it wrong for a novice writer to want to know what the prospects of being a fiction writer really is? People should know what they’re getting into before starting, and the realistic answer is zero for the vast majority of people as everyone expects to be entertained for free these days.

In all honesty, you’d probably find more success making unsolicited inquiries to write pieces for random companies than writing fiction. Things like making posts for their social media or writing blog posts for them.

Last edited:

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
None of the above. Making money by writing, or entertainment endeavour, takes an extreme amount of luck. I'm sure even professional authors whose books sold a million copies or something had their stories rejected by multiple publishers. But I've also seen webnovels that make like a thousand a month on Patreon, and when I search for the webnovel on search sites, I find it in numerous places being publishing for over a year or two. Whatever they did, they didn't just write it, they probably did promotion, spread the word out there, did all kinds of marketing.

Here's a interesting post made a few years ago, before my time, with some helpful advise on the topic: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/how-to-make-money-off-your-web-novel.1473/

So to answer your question, you can make as much as you are willing to work to make it happen.