Most accurate portrayal of a smart character I've ever seen.

Jemini

I have recently been watching the anime adaptation of a series called "Tensai Ouji no Akija Kokka Saisei Jutsu" (The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt), and from what I've seen of the series so far, this series has the single most accurate portrayal of a genius character I've ever seen.

It manages to get 2 crucial things right. I've seen other series out there get one or the other of these two things right, but this is the first and only time I've ever seen both of them together.

1. The genius protagonist of this series absolutely does not think of himself as a genius at all.

2. The genius protagonist seems to very legitimately expect everyone else in the world to be just as effective and intelligent as he is, placing everyone else in the world at the same level as himself and not looking down on others in the slightest.

Most other series out there seem to put intelligence on so much of a pedestal that they completely mystify and over-glorify intelligence as some impossible high standard that others should not be able to obtain. This series, however, actually allows us to view it from the genius protagonist's POV in which, to him, he's only taking the most obvious course of action and is completely mystified and baffled by the fact that his enemies are not putting up a more effective fight against his tactics and are always making such foolish mistakes that cause them to undermine themselves.

I, while being nowhere near this character's level of intelligence, can completely confirm the mind-set of an intelligent person in the way this character is portrayed.

I'm just barely over a 115 IQ. This places me in the "above average" intelligence bracket, and in the top 15th percentile of intelligence world-wide. However, when I hear the term "you are in the top 15th percentile," somehow in my mind this translates to "15% of the world's population is smarter than you are." And, somehow I wind up assuming that the other 85% of the world's population is at the same level of intelligence as I am. I know logically that it doesn't work that way at all, but I am simply unable to stop seeing the world that way. As a result of this, I identify with the protagonist of this story a lot, and thought it would be a good point to share with people on how to accurately portray an intelligent character.

TotallyHuman

I read the webnovel version for a while and it seemed pretty cardboard with the plot adjusting to the protagonist. A very interesting portrayal of a smart (but not some Hannibal Lecter genius) protagonist is in Overlord, though Ainz's intelligence is overshadowed by the sheer magnitude of the character he plays. He is believably a very intelligent guy, however.
In fact, the most believable portrayals of intelligent characters that I have read don't make the reader feel "Oh my god, how is this character so smart", they just make them logical and methodical and attentive with an occasional creative streak. Intelligence in fiction is portrayed as some kind of mental condition rather than a quality of a person, which is why most portrayals of geniuses are outlandish and goofy, while the rest seem pretentious and forced.
I am currently reading case files 013 and the author managed to strike a good balance between an artistic outlandishness of genius and a believable character portrayal, creating a believably smart main character.

longer

Balls
I'm just barely over a 115 IQ. This places me in the "above average" intelligence bracket, and in the top 15th percentile of intelligence world-wide. However, when I hear the term "you are in the top 15th percentile," somehow in my mind this translates to "15% of the world's population is smarter than you are."
I'm around 135ish iq with Asian test score numbers and I am still a certified moron. Not as in all book smarts and no street smarts, it would be more like no smarts in general.

Even if other people disappoint me with their intelligence on the daily, I manage to disappoint myself the most. Probably because iq measures the ability to see patterns and isn't a wholistic approach to intelligence. My point is that "statistically smart" people can also be remarkable idiots.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
He's not really smart, everyone around him is just very cartoony and stupid, what he does is most of the time common sense stuff, he's not really a genius

This. It's the Naofumi problem, instead of making the character smart/strong/brave the author just nerfs everyone that isn't the protagonist when they're on screen, giving the impression that they're impressive by comparison. It's cheap, but it works for general audiences/people who already want to relate to the MC, so it's endemic in middish works.

Last edited:

Jemini

He's not really smart, everyone around him is just very cartoony and stupid, what he does is most of the time common sense stuff, he's not really a genius

That's where you're wrong.

What he does is common sense stuff if you have the omniscient perspective of a reader/viewer. However, if you were actually a person in the world, it becomes a great deal more difficult to figure out this kind of stuff. You gotta put yourself in his shoes in order to realize that he actually is quite intelligent and competent.

Another commenter's issue about the plot bending around him a little too much is a perfectly valid criticism though. That said, the portrayals in the anime thus far have shown it in such a way where it could easily be the case he planned this stuff off screen and it is once again an issue of failure of imagination on the viewer's part to interpret it that way. It's hard to tell. Was this a matter of the adaptation cleaning up a mistake in the novel version, or is it possible to interpret it the way I just said in the source material too?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I have recently been watching the anime adaptation of a series called "Tensai Ouji no Akija Kokka Saisei Jutsu" (The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt), and from what I've seen of the series so far, this series has the single most accurate portrayal of a genius character I've ever seen.

It manages to get 2 crucial things right. I've seen other series out there get one or the other of these two things right, but this is the first and only time I've ever seen both of them together.

1. The genius protagonist of this series absolutely does not think of himself as a genius at all.

2. The genius protagonist seems to very legitimately expect everyone else in the world to be just as effective and intelligent as he is, placing everyone else in the world at the same level as himself and not looking down on others in the slightest.

Most other series out there seem to put intelligence on so much of a pedestal that they completely mystify and over-glorify intelligence as some impossible high standard that others should not be able to obtain. This series, however, actually allows us to view it from the genius protagonist's POV in which, to him, he's only taking the most obvious course of action and is completely mystified and baffled by the fact that his enemies are not putting up a more effective fight against his tactics and are always making such foolish mistakes that cause them to undermine themselves.

I, while being nowhere near this character's level of intelligence, can completely confirm the mind-set of an intelligent person in the way this character is portrayed.

I'm just barely over a 115 IQ. This places me in the "above average" intelligence bracket, and in the top 15th percentile of intelligence world-wide. However, when I hear the term "you are in the top 15th percentile," somehow in my mind this translates to "15% of the world's population is smarter than you are." And, somehow I wind up assuming that the other 85% of the world's population is at the same level of intelligence as I am. I know logically that it doesn't work that way at all, but I am simply unable to stop seeing the world that way. As a result of this, I identify with the protagonist of this story a lot, and thought it would be a good point to share with people on how to accurately portray an intelligent character.
The last time I took an IQ test, (which let's be honest, there are so many of them with various models of scoring) it was one that was passed around in the University that I attended. Out of 12,000+ students, I believe I remember being told that between 1,800 to 1,900 students and a few dozen faculty each, took the test. The highest scorer was of all things, a professor who taught Microbiology, he scored a 195. Second place was a student who was set to graduate that year, (no idea what her degree was,) with a 184, and third place was another professor in the Mathematics department with a 180. I remember him laughing and being in disbelief that he scored third. I came 4th with a 165.

This was back in 2017. I only remember this because I remember hearing that numerous other colleges in my state, as well as the neighboring ones, had similar IQ tests on their student population, and to a lesser degree, the faculty. Though never all of them, only a portion. Perhaps a social experiment?

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Socrates said, "True knowledge exists knowing that you know nothing..."

So, guys, I am just saying... Your IQ doesn't define how much smart you are, or how stupid you are. If you are intelligent or not depends on how others see you. So, just chill, don't succumb to your pessimism. Take your time to improve. IQ is simply the numerical values that tell you the level of your human intelligence, they are just scores.

I believe that wisdom is the highest form of intellect, together with creativity, we are allowed to express human ingenuity, something that intelligence alone cannot recreate.

I'll be honest though, "The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt" is not the best but it has its moments. The author did quite the research to make the novel more interesting and accurate in terms of the political ongoings in the story. The MC in the story is quite aware of his own faults making him 'smart' compared to most self-proclaimed smart characters. His skills as a king are just in the right place. He's not at the level of Lelouch Lamperouge, but he's at least above Shikamaru Nara given the MC's political maneuverings, strategies, and eloquence. This is just my opinion, but Shikamaru is someone who focuses on battle strategies. Sure, he had a hand in the Boruto series in the political ongoings but Shikamaru still pales in comparison to Danzo. I place Prince Wein, the MC, above Shikamaru in strategies because the narutoverse has quite the heavy mystical elements which are quite convenient.

I am not sure about comparing Danzo to them, cuz Danzo's tricks are mostly rooted in relentless evil, greed, and ambition. I don't think Danzo is smart at all...he is just villainous, traitorous, and tricky... It's like how I see Loki from MCU, not smart but tricky... a different kind of intelligence sourced from wisdom produced by evil...
If it is most accurate portrayal of a smart character, then for me, it can only be Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs

I haven't read much of it, but no, that's not the case at all later in the run.

He is just...not smart, at all,

Every arc is same,
Prince: Ah, what a wonderful day, time for doing some smart things.
Random king: Red people bad,
Prince: To war.

Like...dude literally doesn't do anything for empowerment of those red eyes people.
We are told he loves them, sure, but he just kills kings who discriminate against them, and then starts looking for the next king.

We are told that he doesn't have enough money to stop the discrimination, but dude literally wins every war he fights, he has tons of money! He just rather fight the next strongest person rather actually do something smart.

Ugh, sorry for the rant,
This novel, you see...i feel it was clickbait, hence I scorn it.
I'm just barely over a 115 IQ. This places me in the "above average" intelligence bracket, and in the top 15th percentile of intelligence world-wide. However, when I hear the term "you are in the top 15th percentile," somehow in my mind this translates to "15% of the world's population is smarter than you are." And, somehow I wind up assuming that the other 85% of the world's population is at the same level of intelligence as I am. I know logically that it doesn't work that way at all, but I am simply unable to stop seeing the world that way.

The last time I took an IQ test, (which let's be honest, there are so many of them with various models of scoring) it was one that was passed around in the University that I attended. Out of 12,000+ students, I believe I remember being told that between 1,800 to 1,900 students and a few dozen faculty each, took the test. The highest scorer was of all things, a professor who taught Microbiology, he scored a 195. Second place was a student who was set to graduate that year, (no idea what her degree was,) with a 184, and third place was another professor in the Mathematics department with a 180. I remember him laughing and being in disbelief that he scored third. I came 4th with a 165.

This was back in 2017. I only remember this because I remember hearing that numerous other colleges in my state, as well as the neighboring ones, had similar IQ tests on their student population, and to a lesser degree, the faculty. Though never all of them, only a portion. Perhaps a social experiment?
Also, as a psychology student who has 120 IQ, I always have this annoying itch in me to tell people this,
IQ tests, you see, are not a very accurate measurement.
They were made way back in 1800s, and the definition of the term "intelligence" was very...bad, in a way.

Even you Jemini, would agree that what you saw in that IQ test, there doesn't seem to be a connection between what you see in the questions and what actually intelligence is.
Connecting dots in mind is surely a good measure of intelligence, but this test fails to include all above mentioned dots.
You can be intelligent as an artist, a musician, an athelte, a writer, and this test will show a low score for all of them.
You can have the ability to speak 5 languages fluently, or imagine complex geometrical shapes, but this test cannot measure it.

So, why is this test still used?

1. Getting a low score doesn't mean you are stupid, but if you are stupid, you will most definitely get a low score.

2. It offers least discrimination.

If you ever try, you will see that you can never find an accurate psychological test on internet. Even the most authentic sites give a little disclaimer how this test should only be used for entertainment purposes and is not accurate.

Modern psychology tests aren't really allowed in public, you can buy a one time use kit, but distribution is illegal.
This is done to prevent discrimination,

Like, imagine not getting a job because the interviewer says that you are the type of person who gets anxious easily, hence you can't enter.

Also, like any good psychologist, I do have to tell you that whatever i said only follows the guidelines of where i live, it may differ from where you live

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

That's where you're wrong.

What he does is common sense stuff if you have the omniscient perspective of a reader/viewer. However, if you were actually a person in the world, it becomes a great deal more difficult to figure out this kind of stuff. You gotta put yourself in his shoes in order to realize that he actually is quite intelligent and competent.

Another commenter's issue about the plot bending around him a little too much is a perfectly valid criticism though. That said, the portrayals in the anime thus far have shown it in such a way where it could easily be the case he planned this stuff off screen and it is once again an issue of failure of imagination on the viewer's part to interpret it that way. It's hard to tell. Was this a matter of the adaptation cleaning up a mistake in the novel version, or is it possible to interpret it the way I just said in the source material too?
Nope, every character that is not the mc and some other girls are portrayed to be absolutely stupid in everything, as if the mc and two girls are the smarters beings in the planet because they just are able to think normally, while everyone else is just a cartoon, they dont even think anything at all to begin with, which is very unrealistic. This story is definitely fun though, I am not saying I am not enjoying it, but every character the mc has ever confronted has been absolute fools that dont have any resemblance to real life people, complete cartoon-like characters, as if they were just made for the mc to fool around...

Jemini

The IQ scale has an average of 100, and a standard deviation of 15. Therefore, it should be astronomically improbable to get 5+ people scoring above 160 in a sample size of 12,000, even if you are removing the people below 100 from the population due to college entry requirements. I mean, maybe it's just within the realm of possibility to get it above 145, but above 160 is absolutely ridiculous. I'm talking 1/10,000 odds of even getting a single person above 160 in any given population.

I would say that doesn't sound like a very reliable test at all.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
The IQ scale has an average of 100, and a standard deviation of 15. Therefore, it should be astronomically improbable to get 5+ people scoring above 160 in a sample size of 12,000, even if you are removing the people below 100 from the population due to college entry requirements. I mean, maybe it's just within the realm of possibility to get it above 145, but above 160 is absolutely ridiculous. I'm talking 1/10,000 odds of even getting a single person above 160 in any given population.

I would say that doesn't sound like a very reliable test at all.
Idk. I just remembered it only after reading your post here. Never inquired anything about it afterward so it is just an unimportant recollection.

ChocolateCat301

I totally agree with you here, I hate it when characters know they are better than literally everyone and everything else in the book. This seems like a pretty good example of a balanced character that doesn't think too high or low of himself. Or as Thanos would put it, "Balanced, as all things should be."

PotatianEmpire

Hello,
I too can identify with such experiences. I would theorize being unaware or some may even consider naive, could be one of the reasons to push yourself and grow above the rest.

But I can't entirely agree about this personality being a part in an accurate potrayal of smart people. I have met people far smarter than me who are quite arrogant. This is a reaccuring characteristic I have noticed with intelligent people. Most of them look down upon those who are less mentally fit. Fear or right up deny the exitance of people smarter than themselves (I have heard such phrases as "People can be grouped into three groups. The first one is where the dumb people are. They fear those smarter than them. The second one are those who can only work with people dumber than them. And then there is the third group who like to stay with their own because it's hard for them to work with people dumber than them" or "They just fail to find self-worth so they act like they are better than others."(I have adapted these quotes of 2 different people who both scored 130+ IQ in multiple state authorized IQ tests (not online tests :P Even I got a score of 170 on those.).)).

What I have noticed is, many smart people don't just have a high IQ but also an incredible emotional intelligence. It is easy for most of these people to hide their true feeling infront other people (FYI I think "Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e" has got some characteristics of smart people on point. Even though they have missed some qualities which are often present in smart people (e.g. bipolar disorder (which does not at all mean they are less emotionally intelligent.)).)

I really wish being smart also meant being humble and kind. But I have experienced otherwise. One thing I can assure is, jealousy towards people smarter than themselves is one of the reasons smart people go huge length to become smarter. And they also go huge length to hide their jealousy as long as you don't directly confront them.
I totally agree with you here, I hate it when characters know they are better than literally everyone and everything else in the book. This seems like a pretty good example of a balanced character that doesn't think too high or low of himself. Or as Thanos would put it, "Balanced, as all things should be."
Can only confirm. It's just better character writing.

i stopped reading genius prince because so far, he's still getting slaved to work and not able to live the lazy life like he wanted to.

Hello,
I too can identify with such experiences. I would theorize being unaware or some may even consider naive, could be one of the reasons to push yourself and grow above the rest.

But I can't entirely agree about this personality being a part in an accurate potrayal of smart people. I have met people far smarter than me who are quite arrogant. This is a reaccuring characteristic I have noticed with intelligent people. Most of them look down upon those who are less mentally fit. Fear or right up deny the exitance of people smarter than themselves (I have heard such phrases as "People can be grouped into three groups. The first one is where the dumb people are. They fear those smarter than them. The second one are those who can only work with people dumber than them. And then there is the third group who like to stay with their own because it's hard for them to work with people dumber than them" or "They just fail to find self-worth so they act like they are better than others."(I have adapted these quotes of 2 different people who both scored 130+ IQ in multiple state authorized IQ tests (not online tests :P Even I got a score of 170 on those.).)).

What I have noticed is, many smart people don't just have a high IQ but also an incredible emotional intelligence. It is easy for most of these people to hide their true feeling infront other people (FYI I think "Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e" has got some characteristics of smart people on point. Even though they have missed some qualities which are often present in smart people (e.g. bipolar disorder (which does not at all mean they are less emotionally intelligent.)).)

I really wish being smart also meant being humble and kind. But I have experienced otherwise. One thing I can assure is, jealousy towards people smarter than themselves is one of the reasons smart people go huge length to become smarter. And they also go huge length to hide their jealousy as long as you don't directly confront them.

Can only confirm. It's just better character writing.

i do second this statement.

intelligence does not always equate to humility.

there are exceptions to generalizations.

BlooFk

Hello, this is my first post so don't judge too harshly.

First, I would like to talk about the character of Ayanokouji, firstly, in the anime, he is shown as a very wise character, but that's how you say he does not look at others from above, rather, he looks because in some of his threat it is clearly seen, as if saying if you do this against me you will regret. Arrogance in that he is clearly confident in his victory.

Also, following your words, I do not want to offend anyone, but there is one thing, but. The intellect is not the only thing, it is the totality of things, one of its aspects is again. The same Ayanokouji was not a genius; within the framework of anime, from childhood, he went through the directions for the development of genius classifications. Yes, I understand that some people from birth can show such intellectual abilities that they are superior to others. This is the potential for their development, but also if he had not been trained since childhood, he would not have become such a genius in the field of psychology, as well as manipulation. His plan and actions are based on the psychological portrait of his opponent. In this area, he is a genius, it is also shown that his combat ability is not small, also a kind of skill.

From here we see that the mind or intelligence is not just an indicator or something else, just do not want to offend about iq, it is also a kind of not an indicator of intelligence. Anyone can be a genius in the eyes of others in certain specializations. And a smart person can be said to be someone who knows how to use his advantage very well.

As a result, I do not consider Ayanokouji a genius, but he is definitely a genius in the field of psychology, but there is no comprehensive one.

Also about the fact that Ayanokouji does not consider himself a genius, well, maybe so, but he clearly considers himself to be at least special, he still has arrogance.

The most problematic thing about portraying a genius character is who creates the character.

There is such a film Limitless, it shows an increase in intelligence. This is a dubious depiction of intelligence, also rather the author's inability to depict beyond intelligence.

Also sorry for mistakes or wrong expression also I'm wondering how you portray intelligence, I mean how you see an intelligent person.

Jemini

Hello, this is my first post so don't judge too harshly.

First, I would like to talk about the character of Ayanokouji, firstly, in the anime, he is shown as a very wise character, but that's how you say he does not look at others from above, rather, he looks because in some of his threat it is clearly seen, as if saying if you do this against me you will regret. Arrogance in that he is clearly confident in his victory.

Also, following your words, I do not want to offend anyone, but there is one thing, but. The intellect is not the only thing, it is the totality of things, one of its aspects is again. The same Ayanokouji was not a genius; within the framework of anime, from childhood, he went through the directions for the development of genius classifications. Yes, I understand that some people from birth can show such intellectual abilities that they are superior to others. This is the potential for their development, but also if he had not been trained since childhood, he would not have become such a genius in the field of psychology, as well as manipulation. His plan and actions are based on the psychological portrait of his opponent. In this area, he is a genius, it is also shown that his combat ability is not small, also a kind of skill.

From here we see that the mind or intelligence is not just an indicator or something else, just do not want to offend about iq, it is also a kind of not an indicator of intelligence. Anyone can be a genius in the eyes of others in certain specializations. And a smart person can be said to be someone who knows how to use his advantage very well.

As a result, I do not consider Ayanokouji a genius, but he is definitely a genius in the field of psychology, but there is no comprehensive one.

Also about the fact that Ayanokouji does not consider himself a genius, well, maybe so, but he clearly considers himself to be at least special, he still has arrogance.

The most problematic thing about portraying a genius character is who creates the character.

There is such a film Limitless, it shows an increase in intelligence. This is a dubious depiction of intelligence, also rather the author's inability to depict beyond intelligence.

Also sorry for mistakes or wrong expression also I'm wondering how you portray intelligence, I mean how you see an intelligent person.

Not really sure what you're so nervous about offending people in this. The entire idea of this thread is that, historically, fictional portrayals of smart people have given the general populous some ideas about what a smart person should act like. According to psychological research on real intelligent people though, these fictional portrayals have been proven to be wrong, and it's only within the past 10 years or so that writers have started portraying smart characters as they really present themselves IRL. Even then, that's only some of the time.

I was just sharing this to present that the whole idea of an arrogant person who lords his intelligence over everyone else around them is not how a real smart person acts. That's how an average (or possibly even a slightly below average) person suffering under the influences of the Dunning Kruger effect acts (think Philip from season 4 of Overlord, the guy was a complete idiot but thought he was a genius), and it seems other average people have historically extrapolated this into being a representation of how real smart people are.

A smart person who knows you are wrong will tell you to your face that you're wrong, and they will usually be pretty good at convincing you of this fact as well since, well, they actually know what they're talking about.

Last edited: