Motivation

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
I always find myself lacking the motivation to write, despite enjoying writing my stories.

I was wondering if y'all had any tips for ways to get motivated.

Thanks for the help.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Exercise. Take a walk outside. The fresh air and movement should help stimulate your brain, which will give you ideas, which should help you get motivation.

Kidd_Wadsworth

I chose a song that I closely associate with a particular story. Then when I sit down to write I play the song. That seems to immediately drop me into the story and writing comes much easier.

--Kidd

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
I always find myself lacking the motivation to write, despite enjoying writing my stories.

Thanks for the help.
Roleplay your characters and imagine how they would react at the point you left them. I know it's weird but it's a last resource I'm always recurring to.
Music also helps.
And a girlfriend.
And chocolate.
But mostly a girlfriend. Because of, you know...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
This isn't the only way to do it as many people do it differently, but I find that it works well. First, decide what you want to write and mentally describe it for later. Once you know what you want to write, set up a time when you can write. Exercise before sitting down to write. Avoid distractions such as your phone or other websites like youtube or the forum. Have a drink and maybe a snack to munch on so you don't have an excuse to leave. Start writing. just vomit words onto the page until you feel satisfied. Once your time writing is done or near done, go over it and tweak it as you see fit. maybe give it some time to rest and then edit it or just keep writing during your next writing session.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Set up a time when you won't get interrupted, then close the door and listen to this vid a few times:

And then write! Write like you're scared! Write like you life depends on it, b/c that vid will appear in your dreams if you don't!

avaseofpeonies

your cool weird auntie
Read. Isn't reading what made you want to write in the first place? Re-read one of those books that got you so excited you had to try it yourself. Or find new stories similar to what you're writing. Any reading will do, really. It keeps your mind working in the rhythm of narrative prose.

When I'm stuck, I like to go read a few chapters of something else, then try to write a few paragraphs or a page, then go read some more, and repeat 'til I've got my chapter done.

Zakuro

Crushed Pomegranate

Thanks for the help.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well, I was actually serious! xD

I just couldn't really do anything at home-office before I started taking meds... Wish I had gotten a diagnosis sooner instead of in my mid-twenties. Would have made things a lot easier for me.

Ssthat

Boo Tao Main
Well, I was actually serious! xD

I just couldn't really do anything at home-office before I started taking meds... Wish I had gotten a diagnosis sooner instead of in my mid-twenties. Would have made things a lot easier for me.
i don't doubt you were serious, i just don't think i have adhd, its just hard for me to want to write. If need be, i can sit down and write, but i have to force myself to and i end up making terrible work.

D

Deleted member 54065

Thanks for the help.
For me, I just wing it.

Like, when I can't write because I don't like the ideas coming out from my mind, I keep writing then take a break for a while. When I return, I find that the drafts I wrote are actually good ideas.

Or if I'm feeling lazy, I force myself to write until my 'writing mode' kicks in. In this case, I remove everything else that distracts me (games, animes, manga, etc.).

Nevertheless, before I write, I make sure my mind has researched the theme I'd like to write about. This also gives me motivation and ideas to write.

Finally, so that I won't drift off in writing, I finish my manuscripts within three weeks or a month. Editions come in three tries, so that I won't keep changing my narrative.

FaustVoncleave

Thanks for the help.
one that works for me is to set a moderate writing goal, like 200 or so words so it's not intimidating to start. The start is often the hardest part, you're likely to keep writing past the goal once you get the ball rolling.

Another one I use when I'm struggling to write particularly because I'm not having fun with the current scene but I know it's necessary for the story is to write hype scenes on the side. Nothing long, just short pieces that are fun to write. Sometimes it's a scene I haven't gotten to yet, sometimes it's a scenario I just feel would be fun or interesting, sometimes it's a scene I wouldn't normally write, and sometimes i just copy a scene from a story I liked. Takes your mind off the current scene and reminds you why you're doing it.

When feeling completely burnt out and just want to get away from writing for a bit I take a couple days off. Go for a walk, play a game, watch tv, etc, just do something else for a few days. It's important when doing this to set a hard date when you're getting back to work and to at least write
something on that day, even if it's just fifty words. If you don't do this you might develop a fear of starting again and your short break might expand into months.