Need tips on how to concentrate in writing

Le_ther

May sound cliche and very common but like I had done almost everything so that i can focus in writing.

Currently, i could formulate the start and finish of a story but I just don't have enough experience or words to express on how to truly visualize the scenario's I created inside my head.

I put music as a way to relax and write, I sat alone with no tabs or any other apps opened except the manuscript, I closed off my room to avoid any disturbing noise. Despite all of that, I still fail to write the story I want to share.

I do not know what i lack. Maybe, it's time but I still can't help but ask for other different ways to immerse myself.

I tried going through flow state but fear gets ahead of me and when I stop writing. Boredome comes to greet me once again.

That's why I am asking for help on how to properly discipline my mind and concentrate properly.

I will go back to this post time to time and see how effective it is.

But anyways, here's a "thank you" already incase your comment helps me.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Talk to someone about it.

The easiest way to focus on something is to get someone else to keep you on topic. If they ask a question, you can focus on giving them an answer. If you're having trouble writing a scene, explaining the scene can help you focus on the important stuff instead of whatever distracted you.

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce.

Le_ther

Talk to someone about it.

The easiest way to focus on something is to get someone else to keep you on topic. If they ask a question, you can focus on giving them an answer. If you're having trouble writing a scene, explaining the scene can help you focus on the important stuff instead of whatever distracted you.

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce.
I do sometimes explain the scene. But, the main point im trying to say feels dull and it mostly compromise of telling and not really showing what the scene truly means. Also they can give me harsh and good criticism which I uses to refine my manuscript yet because of that. I am stuck with this loop of refining and writing the same exact words and script over and over again

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Have you used chatGPT? Your problem is completely relatable as I have experienced it too. What works for me is to ask chatgpt to make me some refrences on what I wanted to write, some scene, names with certain themes, certain words that fits better, etc etc. Given, generative Ai's capability are quite limited, especially the free version, but I think using it is a great experience. If you can't describe your scene to chatGPT, it means your scnario or the manuscript that you have is either limited or could use some improvement. Either way, you get what you want, or you are enlightened on things that you don't want. of course, I am not suggesting you to write generated story as your own, but it is a great tool to assist you in writing.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Write. Just write. Don't overthink if your writing and narrative suck, just write. I have so many problems with my grammar and narrative, but I just keep writing.

D

Deleted member 54065

May sound cliche and very common but like I had done almost everything so that i can focus in writing.

Currently, i could formulate the start and finish of a story but I just don't have enough experience or words to express on how to truly visualize the scenario's I created inside my head.

I put music as a way to relax and write, I sat alone with no tabs or any other apps opened except the manuscript, I closed off my room to avoid any disturbing noise. Despite all of that, I still fail to write the story I want to share.

I do not know what i lack. Maybe, it's time but I still can't help but ask for other different ways to immerse myself.

I tried going through flow state but fear gets ahead of me and when I stop writing. Boredome comes to greet me once again.

That's why I am asking for help on how to properly discipline my mind and concentrate properly.

Try my method. Whenever I write, I give myself three to four weeks (one month) to finish an entire manuscript. During those times, I avoid gaming, stop watching shows, disconnect myself from people in socmed (even in Scribblehub), and just focus on my scenarios and chapters every day. The three weeks to one month writing period and the finishing of a manuscript--not a chapter--are important, because I read before that there is a high chance that if one failed to finish a manuscript within that period of time, it will be prolonged.

So far it is effective for me. Ever since I switched to that writing technique, I was able to write 16 books for my main novel (with an average of 60k words, and 20 chapters per volume). I'm currently planning on my 17th volume, with the work on the manuscript estimated to begin come June 2023.

After that writing period, I take one to two month's break, to think of better ideas, and do illustrations.

Questions:

1) Can I do it with chapters?
Answer: I haven't tried it, as I finish entire manuscripts before publishing them.

2) How about edits?
Answer: the manuscripts I finish are the 'raw' ones; editions have a separate time frame. And I still limit it to three edits. This is so I won't be pushed to rewrite the entire thing.

3) Do you get bored while in the middle of your writing 'month'?
Answer: Yep, a lot. For that, I take a breather then try to write something again. Think of it like a car that has a 'cold engine'; I keep on trying to 'spark' my brain into producing something I'd want to write. Hence, there are days when my word count get as low as 20-50 words, and 'explosive' moments where I'd write up to 15k words in one sitting. Yeah, I don't wait for boredom to go away; I beat and push myself away from it.

4} Why do you edit your work for three times?
Answer: Well, we all know that there's that 'good idea' that would come in the middle and/or after writing a manuscript. To keep myself from drastically altering my work because of excessive edits, I limit it to three. First are for plot inconsistencies/holes, second is for the 'quality check', and third is for anything that got past the first two edits.

5} I tried to do your advice but I still fail...
Answer: Maybe it's not for you, and for that I apologize. However, if you can see its potential (or wanted to try it), this routine takes time to take hold on your system. For me, it took me at least seven volumes (May 2019 up to December 2020), before I noticed my discipline and thoughts aligning to my routine. Eventually, there came a time that I suspected myself of missing something, for writing became easy for me. As it turned out, my 'system' settled with my writing routine.

And, just in case someone accused me again of giving bad advice...

...here's proof that I do what I suggest. I won't do something that I think is bad advice.

Also, all these books are written within 2019-2023 time period.

1684062826991.png
1684062837054.png
1684062849790.png
1684062857021.png

Link to my HoneyFeed account in case you still won't believe my screenshots: https://www.honeyfeed.fm/u/4732

Last edited by a moderator:

emrogue

Hiya there.

This just so happens to be one of the most difficult writing questions ever, so the fact that you're asking means you're already more serious than a lot of people who decide to sit down and write.

Writing is a craft. It takes a lot of practice, and if you feel your scenes aren't coming to life, then you'll just feel frustrated and that leads to the boredom you mentioned. So you need to work hard in order to get your skills up to where your imagination is.

So my advice:

1. Read a LOT. Read books in the genre you write in. Writing without reading is like making a movie without having watched other films. Also: read like a writer. Check out this article in Writer's Digest.

2. You mentioned struggling with show don't tell, so focus on that. Take some of the scenes you have already written, and now rewrite them, focusing on what the scene "looks" like, and how your characters feel. Emotion is probably the most important element in writing, even if it's often overlooked. What will really bring it to life are senses. What are your characters smelling? Do they have any aches and pains? If you want, I can take a look at one of the scenes you're unhappy with, and give you some feedback. There is SO MUCH written about show-don't-tell. Personally, I think it's a matter of practice. It's not something you're going to do well overnight. Here are some resources, from Jericho Writers, here's a youtube video by Diane Callahan which is quite thourough. There are so many resources on the Internet, so do some digging (but not all advice is good!) I'll also mention that show don't tell has different levels, from details (showing what a room looks like through the actions and thoughts of your characters, instead of saying it's a pretty room with two sofas) to overall themes, like saying (a.k.a telling) that you're MC is very smart, as opposed to showing them solving problems and being clever throughout the book.

My writing improved when I started writing short stories, because it forces you to put everything you've got into 1000-6000 words, as opposed to a series that you can stretch out for thousands of pages. Plus, if you write a good short story, you can get it published in a magazine. SFF magazines pay very well, so it's definitely something worth considering. And if you ever want to get traditionally published, it helps to have a few publications under your belt.

3. Think of what time of the day you write best at. Sometimes closing your door and trying to focus isn't enough if the time isn't right. Some writers get up early in the morning to write, others find it best at night, so figure out what time works for you.

4. Find a community. There may be a local writers' group in your town, so if you can, join it. There are also online writing groups that meet over zoom. Getting live feedback from a group of writers, as opposed to written comments, can be a great experience, and you'll learn a lot.

Make sure you know why you're writing. And to try and have as much fun as possible!

NitroxDarks

Close your eyes and think, if you can't put yourself through the eyes and third person view of what's happening, you'll have lots to work in.

BlackKnightX

Concentrate on writing is super easy once you get in the zone. The real world just kind of melts away, so is the time. The most difficult part is actually getting start.

Advice? I'm still lookin', so I'm afraid I can't tell you what to do. But I do know what not to do, though: busy yourself with the social media and the internet. Especially the forum. Any forums at all. Stay away from there!

Oh, and consistency is king. Back when I wrote my first story, I was super fired up. At first, it's kind of hard to write. Everything felt awkward, 'cause I wasn't not used to it. But after a while of writing "everyday," it gets increasingly easier.

Remember to stay away from the forums, alright?

Le_ther

Have you used chatGPT? Your problem is completely relatable as I have experienced it too. What works for me is to ask chatgpt to make me some refrences on what I wanted to write, some scene, names with certain themes, certain words that fits better, etc etc. Given, generative Ai's capability are quite limited, especially the free version, but I think using it is a great experience. If you can't describe your scene to chatGPT, it means your scnario or the manuscript that you have is either limited or could use some improvement. Either way, you get what you want, or you are enlightened on things that you don't want. of course, I am not suggesting you to write generated story as your own, but it is a great tool to assist you in writing.
Not having something against A.I. although they can be a good reference.

I already have a Idealistic view on what I planned out. It is already complete with my own narrative. But even so, thank you for giving your Idea.

Write. Just write. Don't overthink if your writing and narrative suck, just write. I have so many problems with my grammar and narrative, but I just keep writing.

Perhaps, still as a writer. I wish to write not solely just because I can but also to connect my reader's towards my book itself. I don't know if it's impulse towards perfection but I have this obssession in making my book independent from me as if the book I am working is something I own yet foreign. I want it to stand out without the author being related to it.

But by reading your comment, I applaud you for writing despite problems with your work. However, I do not think this method is something I need but I will keep this in mind.

Pomodoro (that 25min work, 5 min rest loop), a shit ton of Black Coffee, and ADHD meds. Trust me, you're going to write 10k in just a day.

I don't really drink coffee and I don't have any meds. I used pomodoro before but my attention still kept easily swayed off. Also, my time isn't really that much as school truly does take a toll and studying is still my priority.

You don't. You just click on and off the Google docs tab until you somehow manage 1.5k words
Fun fact, I got 2k-5k words every time I create in less than 2 hours then after coming back I make another file of manuscript cause the old one sucked.

Try my method. Whenever I write, I give myself three to four weeks (one month) to finish an entire manuscript. During those times, I avoid gaming, stop watching shows, disconnect myself from people in socmed (even in Scribblehub), and just focus on my scenarios and chapters every day. The three weeks to one month writing period and the finishing of a manuscript--not a chapter--are important, because I read before that there is a high chance that if one failed to finish a manuscript within that period of time, it will be prolonged.

So far it is effective for me. Ever since I switched to that writing technique, I was able to write 16 books for my main novel (with an average of 60k words, and 20 chapters per volume). I'm currently planning on my 17th volume, with the work on the manuscript estimated to begin come June 2023.

After that writing period, I take one to two month's break, to think of better ideas, and do illustrations.

Questions:

1) Can I do it with chapters?
Answer: I haven't tried it, as I finish entire manuscripts before publishing them.

2) How about edits?
Answer: the manuscripts I finish are the 'raw' ones; editions have a separate time frame. And I still limit it to three edits. This is so I won't be pushed to rewrite the entire thing.

3) Do you get bored while in the middle of your writing 'month'?
Answer: Yep, a lot. For that, I take a breather then try to write something again. Think of it like a car that has a 'cold engine'; I keep on trying to 'spark' my brain into producing something I'd want to write. Hence, there are days when my word count get as low as 20-50 words, and 'explosive' moments where I'd write up to 15k words in one sitting. Yeah, I don't wait for boredom to go away; I beat and push myself away from it.

4} Why do you edit your work for three times?
Answer: Well, we all know that there's that 'good idea' that would come in the middle and/or after writing a manuscript. To keep myself from drastically altering my work because of excessive edits, I limit it to three. First are for plot inconsistencies/holes, second is for the 'quality check', and third is for anything that got past the first two edits.

5} I tried to do your advice but I still fail...
Answer: Maybe it's not for you, and for that I apologize. However, if you can see its potential (or wanted to try it), this routine takes time to take hold on your system. For me, it took me at least seven volumes (May 2019 up to December 2020), before I noticed my discipline and thoughts aligning to my routine. Eventually, there came a time that I suspected myself of missing something, for writing became easy for me. As it turned out, my 'system' settled with my writing routine.

And, just in case someone accused me again of giving bad advice...

...here's proof that I do what I suggest. I won't do something that I think is bad advice.

Also, all these books are written within 2019-2023 time period.

View attachment 18390View attachment 18391View attachment 18392View attachment 18393

Link to my HoneyFeed account in case you still won't believe my screenshots: https://www.honeyfeed.fm/u/4732

I might try this method during summer break, I still wanna kept my connections though but I will also consider this as one of the viable options. Since, I'm making a one shot why not try this?

Hiya there.

This just so happens to be one of the most difficult writing questions ever, so the fact that you're asking means you're already more serious than a lot of people who decide to sit down and write.

Writing is a craft. It takes a lot of practice, and if you feel your scenes aren't coming to life, then you'll just feel frustrated and that leads to the boredom you mentioned. So you need to work hard in order to get your skills up to where your imagination is.

So my advice:

1. Read a LOT. Read books in the genre you write in. Writing without reading is like making a movie without having watched other films. Also: read like a writer. Check out this article in Writer's Digest.

2. You mentioned struggling with show don't tell, so focus on that. Take some of the scenes you have already written, and now rewrite them, focusing on what the scene "looks" like, and how your characters feel. Emotion is probably the most important element in writing, even if it's often overlooked. What will really bring it to life are senses. What are your characters smelling? Do they have any aches and pains? If you want, I can take a look at one of the scenes you're unhappy with, and give you some feedback. There is SO MUCH written about show-don't-tell. Personally, I think it's a matter of practice. It's not something you're going to do well overnight. Here are some resources, from Jericho Writers, here's a youtube video by Diane Callahan which is quite thourough. There are so many resources on the Internet, so do some digging (but not all advice is good!) I'll also mention that show don't tell has different levels, from details (showing what a room looks like through the actions and thoughts of your characters, instead of saying it's a pretty room with two sofas) to overall themes, like saying (a.k.a telling) that you're MC is very smart, as opposed to showing them solving problems and being clever throughout the book.

My writing improved when I started writing short stories, because it forces you to put everything you've got into 1000-6000 words, as opposed to a series that you can stretch out for thousands of pages. Plus, if you write a good short story, you can get it published in a magazine. SFF magazines pay very well, so it's definitely something worth considering. And if you ever want to get traditionally published, it helps to have a few publications under your belt.

3. Think of what time of the day you write best at. Sometimes closing your door and trying to focus isn't enough if the time isn't right. Some writers get up early in the morning to write, others find it best at night, so figure out what time works for you.

4. Find a community. There may be a local writers' group in your town, so if you can, join it. There are also online writing groups that meet over zoom. Getting live feedback from a group of writers, as opposed to written comments, can be a great experience, and you'll learn a lot.

Make sure you know why you're writing. And to try and have as much fun as possible!

So far your answer seems to be closest to what I am lacking right now.

1. I do read a lot, infact I got 137 tabs of web novels, manga's, one shot stories, fanfictions, and even books of true literatures itself.

2. As far as I can say to my self, I struggle not with just show and telling but the way I create the showing itself. I can use the senses fine as possible but I just don't find the vocabulary that I need even with the use of dictionary to describe my scene. I also watch some of brandon anderson's and other author's lessons on how to improve in this type of writing sense.

3. I'm at the top of my self during night but I still have to wake 4:00 am in the morning to go to school. It sucks but it is what it is though i can reach my peak during 10:00 in the evening.

4. There is no writer community nearby where I live, I also am not used to chatting online and even speaking as I am cautious on who i interact especially on discord.

Methylphenidate?
I don't use meds

Close your eyes and think, if you can't put yourself through the eyes and third person view of what's happening, you'll have lots to work in.
I can put myself in the situation and interact like a reader but I just can't find myself a place between the stories as if I am alienated from it yet also a observer of it.

Concentrate on writing is super easy once you get in the zone. The real world just kind of melts away, so is the time. The most difficult part is actually getting start.

Advice? I'm still lookin', so I'm afraid I can't tell you what to do. But I do know what not to do, though: busy yourself with the social media and the internet. Especially the forum. Any forums at all. Stay away from there!

Oh, and consistency is king. Back when I wrote my first story, I was super fired up. At first, it's kind of hard to write. Everything felt awkward, 'cause I wasn't not used to it. But after a while of writing "everyday," it gets increasingly easier.

Remember to stay away from the forums, alright?

I usually go social media and internet to stop my boredom but now I find it painful to get back to doing something productive. It's as if like a drug it always distract me whenever I wanna rest from a break or exhaused in writing/drawing.

Anyways, thank you for your replies and I might stop replying as I will used some of these methods as soon as I am viable.

emrogue

I already have a Idealistic view on what I planned out. It is already complete with my own narrative. But even so, thank you for giving your Idea.

Perhaps, still as a writer. I wish to write not solely just because I can but also to connect my reader's towards my book itself. I don't know if it's impulse towards perfection but I have this obssession in making my book independent from me as if the book I am working is something I own yet foreign. I want it to stand out without the author being related to it.

But by reading your comment, I applaud you for writing despite problems with your work. However, I do not think this method is something I need but I will keep this in mind.

I don't really drink coffee and I don't have any meds. I used pomodoro before but my attention still kept easily swayed off. Also, my time isn't really that much as school truly does take a toll and studying is still my priority.

Fun fact, I got 2k-5k words every time I create in less than 2 hours then after coming back I make another file of manuscript cause the old one sucked.

I might try this method during summer break, I still wanna kept my connections though but I will also consider this as one of the viable options. Since, I'm making a one shot why not try this?

1. I do read a lot, infact I got 137 tabs of web novels, manga's, one shot stories, fanfictions, and even books of true literatures itself.

2. As far as I can say to my self, I struggle not with just show and telling but the way I create the showing itself. I can use the senses fine as possible but I just don't find the vocabulary that I need even with the use of dictionary to describe my scene. I also watch some of brandon anderson's and other author's lessons on how to improve in this type of writing sense.

3. I'm at the top of my self during night but I still have to wake 4:00 am in the morning to go to school. It sucks but it is what it is though i can reach my peak during 10:00 in the evening.

4. There is no writer community nearby where I live, I also am not used to chatting online and even speaking as I am cautious on who i interact especially on discord.

I don't use meds

I can put myself in the situation and interact like a reader but I just can't find myself a place between the stories as if I am alienated from it yet also a observer of it.

I usually go social media and internet to stop my boredom but now I find it painful to get back to doing something productive. It's as if like a drug it always distract me whenever I wanna rest from a break or exhaused in writing/drawing.

Anyways, thank you for your replies and I might stop replying as I will used some of these methods as soon as I am viable.
Best of luck! If you're passionate about writing, you'll definitely get the hang of it. So keep going!

Tentacult1664

I don't use meds

Ignore this if you're an anti-ai guy but...

For #2, you can try sudowrite. There's the "Describe" feature that allows you to generate a sight/hearing/touch/taste/smell/metaphor based on highlighted text. Don't count on the Write though, It sucks a lot. The useful features there are the Describe and Rewrite feature since you can use them to expand the text or change your style of writing.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Try writing with pencil and paper. You can erase if you notice a mistake immediately, but you won't wind up going down a rabbit hole researching stuff on the internet. If you realize you need to research something, write down a note for later. You can write in the margins and/or keep a separate notebook for things like that. Also, there's no need to worry about your electricity cutting out.

However, if you have a small child, it will grab both the pencil and the notebook from you ten seconds after you sit down. I'm not sure at what age they stop doing this, but it's not 27 months.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

Would it be a bother if I could please read a piece of your writing? It would be easier to offer advice if I could see the issues, rather than hear about them.
Though I understand if you have received the advice you feel you need!
And I can totally offer advice without writing, it just may be vaguer and not as helpful.

Last edited:

dkris

If you're struggling to get started, try using prompts to get your creative juices flowing. You can find writing prompts online or create your own. Another way is to use a timer to help you stay focused during your writing session. Set a specific amount of time for writing, and don't stop until the timer goes off.