Writing Onomatopeia usage

How often should you use them, if at all?

• Total voters

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
When I write I describe the scene but I have seen how that stylistic device was used to enhance immersion.

Tempokai

Overworked One
It's fine for sudden things outside the vision (like unexpected explosion or whatever), but not fine for things the MC probably can see

ArchlordZero

Stage 4 Cancer Shitposter
But of course, the Dark Young were much faster than human beings.
Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat. Splat.
The sounds of humans being crushed to death and turned into chunks of meat went on and on.
Overlord - Volume 9 Chapter 4

laccoff_mawning

I would suggest that there is not problem using it, so long as you use it well.

Second, you don't need to use it "outside" of your sentence structure. "...thunderous booms echoed around the..." is onomatopeia. Anytime you use "boom", "clang", even "rattle"- thats always onomatopeia.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
In my style, I tend to use them.
I try not to abuse them by varying with longer descriptions, but as BOI says they work well in the more tense scenes.

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
I occasionally use them. Mostly it's only when writing out the sound would have more impact than describing it.

LilRora

Mostly formless
That depends if things like "a bubbling sound" or "a loud creak" count as onomatopeia. I use those really often, but I avoid sounds by themselves, things like creak, or even worse tatatata, by themselves. It breaks immersion and it can be unclear what they mean. From my experience, even writing "the door opened with a creak" is already way better.

Mortrexo

Sudden sounds that take around a sentence to describe are good to substitute with an onomatopeia. For example, in a battle scene, when two swords collide, using a "CLANG!" and then commenting about the exchange can aid in the immersion.
But ultimately, this is one of those things that end up being a subjective preference. Some authors never use them and are good without them; others use them so much during fights that they might as well write the entire fight through onomatopeias.
During R-18 scenes, adding a few extra ones can also give a sense of rough sexual intercourse.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Either for comedic effects or in case you need some repetition to sound especially psycho. It's been pretty effective in (older) ADV Visual Novels, especially Denpa, so it can work well in written form. Also works with shorter sentences.

Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab.

He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her.
He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her. He killed her.