Paulina Rex Chapter 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Effugium ad Manila? :sweating_profusely:

My poor Latin. *getting my trusted Latin dictionary that is older than most of the user of this forum. Still written in Fraktur*

Let's see. :blob_evil_two:

Ad is a preposition that demands accusative. So you have to use accusative case, Manilam. Unless Manila is plural only. Such cases exist in regard to cities, but their gender is still femalem, Manilae (nominative plural), Manilas (accusative plural).

Now to effugium. Effugium can mean flight, but its primary meaning is flight from.

Ex - fugio = I flee from something.

I would recommend fuga, flight, instead. Fuga is the overall better choice stylistically.
Oooh! Thanks for the correction. So it would be...'Fuga ad Manilam'?

Just another question, if you please. On my first chapter, the title is 'Virgo Fata' or 'Maiden of Destiny' (according to Google). Is it correct? Or should I change it? Thanks for the answer!

D

Deleted member 29316

Oh my! So much violence!

I don't understand why activities that may result in death are not censored but activities that may result in life are censored.
I think you have a point there...though I also wonder why? :unsure:

Maple-Leaf

β€’Deceased
This man is my new spirit animal.
spirit animal.png

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Oooh! Thanks for the correction. So it would be...'Fuga ad Manilam'?

Just another question, if you please. On my first chapter, the title is 'Virgo Fata' or 'Maiden of Destiny' (according to Google). Is it correct? Or should I change it? Thanks for the answer!

Indeed, Fuga ad Manilam. :blob_evil_two:

As for maiden. Virgo is obviously virgin first and foremost, but it can also mean maiden in the sense of unmarried girl.

Alternatively, you can use puella. Same meaning, but the emphasis is stronger on the unmarried aspect.

And now to fata. No idea what google did here, but they made several grammar errors with a single word.

Fata is supposed to be an adjective in this case for virgo, meaning fateful virgin, but the noun fatum doesn't have any adjective form in classic Latin.

We would need a genitive here which would be fati. Sadly, google has no idea about fatum whatsoever. Fatum expresses the concept of fate, external things outside your sphere of influence happening, an unavoidable preset course of action that binds even the mightiest gods in Greco-Roman mythology.

Destiny is what you can do within your own powers which correlates more to the weaker version sors, which gives us

either Virgo Sortis

or Puella Sortis.

D

Deleted member 29316

Indeed, Fuga ad Manilam. :blob_evil_two:

As for maiden. Virgo is obviously virgin first and foremost, but it can also mean maiden in the sense of unmarried girl.

Alternatively, you can use puella. Same meaning, but the emphasis is stronger on the unmarried aspect.

And now to fata. No idea what google did here, but they made several grammar errors with a single word.

Fata is supposed to be an adjective in this case for virgo, meaning fateful virgin, but the noun fatum doesn't have any adjective form in classic Latin.

We would need a genitive here which would be fati. Sadly, google has no idea about fatum whatsoever. Fatum expresses the concept of fate, external things outside your sphere of influence happening, an unavoidable preset course of action that binds even the mightiest gods in Greco-Roman mythology.

Destiny is what you can do within your own powers which correlates more to the weaker version sors, which gives us

either Virgo Sortis

or Puella Sortis.
You saved me there! Will definitely correct my Latins.

By the way, any recommended readings or dictionary about Latin phrases? Thanks a lot for the corrections! πŸ˜†

Assurbanipal_II

You saved me there! Will definitely correct my Latins.

By the way, any recommended readings or dictionary about Latin phrases? Thanks a lot for the corrections! πŸ˜†

Sorry. :blob_evil_two: There are none otherwise the life of many students around the globe would be much easier. I don't know any machine translations that perform even adequately.

Only human translations can achieve an adequate standard. Machines struggle with Latin as it is a strongly inflective language with a complex syntax (it has a free word order) and case system. Machines don't like that.

About phrases, just ask me or wikipedia. :blob_wink: After all, I named one of my novels si vis pacem for a reason.

D

Deleted member 29316

Sorry. :blob_evil_two: There are none otherwise the life of many students around the globe would be much easier. I don't know any machine translations that perform even adequately.

Only human translations can achieve an adequate standard. Machines struggle with Latin as it is a strongly inflective language with a complex syntax (it has a free word order) and case system. Machines don't like that.

About phrases, just ask me or wikipedia. :blob_wink: After all, I named one of my novels si vis pacem for a reason.
Thank for that! It would certainly help me in my chapter titles, which are in Latin.

As for now, I'm still working on the 3rd Chapter, the title of which is 'The King-makers'.

D

Deleted member 29316

:sweating_profusely: But that is an idiom.
Oh...

Well, I'm trying to make a title that pertains to the characters I'd introduce in the chapter, which the female main character (Pauline) needs to obtain their support in order to become the Empress, or 'King' in my title's context.

Got any Latin phrase for that? Any help is appreciated, thank you! 😊

Assurbanipal_II

Oh...

Well, I'm trying to make a title that pertains to the characters I'd introduce in the chapter, which the female main character (Pauline) needs to obtain their support in order to become the Empress, or 'King' in my title's context.

Got any Latin phrase for that? Any help is appreciated, thank you! 😊

Hmmmmmmmm. Thinking.

Paulina Superba (reference to Tarquinius superbus, last king of Rome)

Ultima ratio reginae (reference to ultima ratio regnum, the final argument of kings (a resort to arms): motto engraved on the cannon of Louis XIV)

D

Deleted member 29316

Hmmmmmmmm. Thinking.

Paulina Superba (reference to Tarquinius superbus, last king of Rome)

Ultima ratio reginae (reference to ultima ratio regnum, the final argument of kings (a resort to arms): motto engraved on the cannon of Louis XIV)
I think I like the last one better since it fits the narrative better! πŸ˜†

Thank you for your time, and my apologies for disturbing you. πŸ™