Personal statement writing tips

guguqa

Hi everybody! I'm a prospective college student, and, as you probably know, I have to write a personal statement. I'm not a good writer, so I'm sure there are more experienced people who have some knowledge to share with me. I'll appreciate any help regarding personal statement writing.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I'm sorry, but where should I place my thread?
Considering that it's a homework assistance request, nowhere as that breaks the rules of the forum. But for general writing assistance, Discussion & Tips. For talking about writing in general, Author General. For shits and giggle, General Chat. :blob_hide:

Vnator

This is definitely the kind of think you want to take the time searching up more info about it online. There are plenty of resources on how to properly write one and things to include or avoid.

It's been years since I wrote mine, but generally you want to showcase positive character traits the school might be looking for in students (independence, leadership, willingness to learn, passion for your major, etc.) and also possibly personal growth. Take it slow with it, see if there are any free resources or classes on how to properly write one, and get professional college statement reviewers to look over yours. Good luck!

longer

Balls
Be true to yourself when writing. If the admissions officers don't like it, then you probably wouldn't like going to that school anyway.
As much as I agree with this, I have read some essays and statements from applying students that are absolute gremlins. The essays reek of narcissism, moral superiority, and other terrible qualities.

I no longer offer college consultation as a service since I kinda hate the job. But I can say that the best resource, if you have access to it, is people that work or formerly work in college admissions. Otherwise I recommend searching up online resources as well as the website of the colleges you're applying to. Talking to the admissions office via email can be helpful, especially since it shows "commitment" and "interest" if you're applying to prestigious places. Lastly, it is important that you leave the impression that you are "unique" to the reader. Doesn't have to be something complex like volunteering to save the world, but just basic things like incorporating hobbies into your field of study.

tyler89558

Hi everybody! I'm a prospective college student, and, as you probably know, I have to write a personal statement. I'm not a good writer, so I'm sure there are more experienced people who have some knowledge to share with me. I'll appreciate any help regarding personal statement writing.
Write like how you’d speak if you’re not an eloquent writer. Don’t use big words that you barely understand to make yourself look smarter: they already know you’re intelligent from the other parts of your application. Don’t bring in any cheap phrases or quotes you might have heard from somewhere: they want to know who you are, not some sappy quote.
Try to avoid rambling, since you’ve only got so many words to use, be concise. Reread what you’ve written (aloud) to see if it makes sense and find things that might be a bit extraneous. And, of course, actually write *something*. Something is better than nothing, and gives you a base to leap from when you revise it.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
A college is still a school just an fyi, at least as far as the dictionary is concerned despite it not often being referred to as such.
Yes but op was not assigned by the school to do the work. Op is taking initiative, it’s just work nothing to do with school.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Yes but op was not assigned by the school to do the work. Op is taking initiative, it’s just work nothing to do with school.
I wouldn't call something you are required to do taking the initiative. Not to mention, preparation work for school still counts as homework by definition.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
As much as I agree with this, I have read some essays and statements from applying students that are absolute gremlins. The essays reek of narcissism, moral superiority, and other terrible qualities.
Exactly my point. The fewer narcissists at my university, the better!

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I wouldn't call something you are required to do taking the initiative. Not to mention, preparation work for school still counts as homework by definition.
You are not required to apply for college.

D

Deleted member 22388

A simple youtube search. Else I leave it to the others good luck.