Physical Books

EternalSunset0

Just something that we can discuss, I guess?

I wonder how many of you still have physical books? I always thought that literature these days have been shifting to digital more and more, so it's something I'm curious about. If you do have them, how many do you often keep?

Also, I do think that I'm in the minority here (being a digital platform and all) but I find reading on a physical book more enjoyable. I like both mediums, but I think being able to hold your reading material instead of scrolling is more enjoyable, and it hurts my eyes less. Anyone else feel the same way?

Spica66

I wonder how many of you still have physical books? I always thought that literature these days have been shifting to digital more and more, so it's something I'm curious about. If you do have them, how many do you often keep?

Also, I do think that I'm in the minority here (being a digital platform and all) but I find reading on a physical book more enjoyable. I like both mediums, but I think being able to hold your reading material instead of scrolling is more enjoyable, and it hurts my eyes less. Anyone else feel the same way?
The touch of paper is still the best~

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
I agree that physical books hurt my eyes less. Although sad to say that I'm too poor that there are no interesting books in my home... Sure, there are science, history, math, short story books, dictionaries and more here but they're too old for the world to see, heck I remember reading a child short story book which was from 1990's (forgot the date, it might even be lesser than that).

From all those books, I only consider three as interesting and treasure the most. A martial arts book, a joke book and a political book containing jokes from a now gone politician(also add in a horrible shoujo manga from 2010's). I don't like them from their beauty but because I bought or own them(if you couldn't tell by now, the earlier books are from my family).

Napelynn

A scientific study that I read about somewhere on the internet said that you retain information better if you read from a physical book. (Ironic)

But I don’t read non-fiction very much so I don’t really care.

Razmatazz

Dungeon Cultist
After working in a library for 5+ years I stopped buying physical books, because honestly, the 'spell' has been broken. Physical books have this odd sort of religious, sacred-novelty to them in the eyes of the general public, to the point that we couldn't even throw away books during the day. I mean books that had been literally shredded to the point of being unreadable or drowned in cola and that had to be removed, because people would get loudly upset at us when they saw them in the dumpster lol.

I now dislike physical books and I also dislike physical people. Weird how that works. Besides, e-books are cheaper. :blob_hmm:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan used to keep a library of all the books Ai-chan owned since 6 years old. When Ai-chan was 28, there was a termite infestation and most of the books were rendered unreadable. Ai-chan cried that time. Most of those books were already out of print when Ai-chan was a teen.

EternalSunset0

Ai-chan used to keep a library of all the books Ai-chan owned since 6 years old. When Ai-chan was 28, there was a termite infestation and most of the books were rendered unreadable. Ai-chan cried that time. Most of those books were already out of print when Ai-chan was a teen.
That's really sad :blob_frown:

Arkus86

Digital is convenient, but the experience can't beat a paper book for me.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

I have an entire library.....

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
i use pirate sites. Never paid for anything ever cause of being poor.
z library and sci hub .
all hail Alexandra Elbakyan.

I don't have libraries . There is literally every single book available here. I don't even save i can just download off the websites.

infact here have this book about psychology

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

The touch of paper is still the best~
Yes. Sometimes the smell of a new book. Smell of new things often nice. But books are the exception even when they no longer are new (except for the dust).

I agree that physical books hurt my eyes less.
I can see that. Sometimes looking at the computer all day makes my eyes kinda feel weird. Or slightly bit dizzy like your brain did a somersault flip in your head.

After working in a library for 5+ years I stopped buying physical books, because honestly, the 'spell' has been broken. Physical books have this odd sort of religious, sacred-novelty to them in the eyes of the general public, to the point that we couldn't even throw away books during the day. I mean books that had been literally shredded to the point of being unreadable or drowned in cola and that had to be removed, because people would get loudly upset at us when they saw them in the dumpster lol.

Besides, e-books are cheaper. :blob_hmm:
Ah I remember used to volunteer and something similar. It was sad some books had to go. But can see why bc some books duplicates, some no longer viewed as much, and stuff. Plus library always new books added. Then how much space? I don't feel bad for autiobio, politicians, modern how to's - basically non-fiction, but my heart tugs when I see some fiction books. Some books got to keep though :D

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. :s_frown:

I love physical books! (disregard textbooks; they are an abomination to the world. jk. still hate them :P )

I have a bunch of books, a lot from when I was a teen and read more when I was younger. Some are my favorite series so I got them. Some of these were what actually got me interested in reading. I can remember buying my first book at library scholastic fair. It felt so excited something got. And loved reading that story.

One of my goals is when I can is to have a collection of all those YA books. They have so many pretty covers, and I'm pretty sure I missed out on a lot of them bc I was in college and didn't had as much time to read, so I want to collect them all for in the future because they make nice decorations than knicknacks that are creepy at night, and because I can always crack one open when I have some free time in future.

XD On instag and fb you can also still find people buying and showing off their physical books ah. So its not disappearing anytime soon. :love:

Reisinling

I now dislike physical books and I also dislike physical people. Weird how that works. Besides, e-books are cheaper. :blob_hmm:

I had the same feeling of worship towards physical in the past. Then I started planning my apartment layout.. and realized I waste 2 walls worth of space for something that literally doesn't matter.

I still have a bookshelf that has physical copies of books I have bought but haven't read yet, and a few favorites I like lending people. As most of those are fancy pantsy literature, it also fulfils the need of impressing people with my taste. No need to correct them, is there?

Apart from that, It's just too expensive to store them. Also, I read books in multiple languages, which means high additional cost when sending physical copies - ebooks don't have this problem.

Honestly my biggest gripe is that there aren't bigger e-readers for when I want to read comics in nice resolution. And shitty apps, that are trying to access all your smartphone data when you just want to read a fucking comic, (WHICH YOU PAID FOR ALREADY).

When I've discussed this subject with people I met in real life, I found that those that read A LOT (>1 book a week) have nearly all moved to digital, due to economic and practical reasons, Those that read occasionally often stayed with physical as the "magic" outweighs the pragmatism.

Actually there is 1 category that I still do buy physical version of- Textbooks.

D

Deleted member 49654

Absolutely, I adore physical books, thou I haven't read a legit one for a long, long time. I don't really buy fictions cause it is cheaper and easier to borrow them from a library, but I want to have my own textbooks at hand (not just pdf files or something I need to return later). Anyway, physical books have a lot of charm - the feeling of paper between your fingers, the aroma of the ink, the fact that you can just hit someone with them...

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I haven’t read a single physical book in my entire life. When I was a kid I just watched the movie if available and relied on sparknotes and summaries available online for book reports. In university, I took pictures of all the pages in the textbook or just found it available online. The only magic physical books have on me is the ability to make me fall asleep.

I try to make it through 1 page and I’m out like a log. Yet digital has me reading like a crack addict.