Plant based food

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Plant based food is a new trend, which is quickly being adopted by fast food and food producers, so what do you think about it?
53C88DAF-6F72-4C87-AFF6-89FFB11D8F18.jpeg
I personally believe this trend is unnecessary and unhealthy

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I think that it is a good viable food option in times where meat is more expensive or hard to find. Vegetarian and Vegan meals are good cooking alternatives to classic meals. However, of meals are consistently lacking the vitamins, minerals, and proteins that are in meat then it can be unhealthy. I'm not completely on board with the fake meat as I don't trust the companies making them but I do see the product having uses.

Ilikewaterkusa

I think that it is a good viable food option in times where meat is more expensive or hard to find. Vegetarian and Vegan meals are good cooking alternatives to classic meals. However, of meals are consistently lacking the vitamins, minerals, and proteins that are in meat then it can be unhealthy. I'm not completely on board with the fake meat as I don't trust the companies making them but I do see the product having uses.
Vegetarians are probably getting cancer from their diets. Tbh

Paul_Tromba

Vegetarians are probably getting cancer from their diets. Tbh
It really depends. Some vegetarian diets are really healthy and provide all the necessary dietary needs, unlike some. A lot of vegetarian meals can taste really good as well. Take Ratatouille for example. Rice and bean stuffed bell peppers are also good. Vegetarians, unlike vegans, can have dairy so cheese stuffed mushrooms are also an option.

Ilikewaterkusa

It really depends. Some vegetarian diets are really healthy and provide all the necessary dietary needs, unlike some. A lot of vegetarian meals can taste really good as well. Take Ratatouille for example. Rice and bean stuffed bell peppers are also good. Vegetarians, unlike vegans, can have dairy so cheese stuffed mushrooms are also an option.
Dead ass using ratatouille as an example 💀

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I'd rather have animal-based meat. You can eat all the plant-based meat you want, but just don't force it on me.

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
I've got nothing against Plant-Based Meat and all, knew a couple of Vegans and Vegetarians who could chef up the most delicious variety of food that isn't meat, but holy hell, not only do I not trust the companies and factories that make those stuff, but for some reason, those stuff are pretty costly where I live.
Compared to just Animal-Based Meat it really isn't easy on my pockets.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Personally, I just mostly exclude meat, including fake meat. Costs too much for us poor folks. As others have said in lesser forms, I also trust the companies making such things to do everything possible to reduce the quality, including cutting in harmful materials.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This whole "plant-based" thing is a cute way to rebrand vegan stuff, but it's a mouthful. I agree that plants are part of healthy diet, and it's good to eat your veggies for fiber and some protein, but
Yes, this. I have vegan hummus wraps for breakfast most mornings. I like hummus because we make it at home from whole garbanzo beans, and it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. For lunch and dinner, though, I like eating animals or at least animal products such as eggs and cheese.

Ilikewaterkusa

I've got nothing against Plant-Based Meat and all, knew a couple of Vegans and Vegetarians who could chef up the most delicious variety of food that isn't meat, but holy hell, not only do I not trust the companies and factories that make those stuff, but for some reason, those stuff are pretty costly where I live.
It's like 4 times more expensive and more cancerous lol
But will you eat the bugs?
no

Blitz

『⛰Ping-Pong Cat❄️』『⚡️New member⚡️』
I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I go for plant based options occasionally and know vegetarians and vegans. With the current trends, it is pretty reasonable for plant based alternatives to reach price parity with meat products. Taste and texture wise, it's a mix bag, with some products ranging from great to mediocre.

It doesn't matter if it's plant or meat based, as long as you get the recommended intake of nutrients, your diet is going to be healthy. As for fast food doesn't matter if it's plant-based it's never going to be healthy. As for the image you posted, there really isn't anything wrong with the ingridients listed for plant-based. I'm not sure where you're getting that nonsense about it leading to higher rates of cancer too

What? It's delicious, easy, and cheap. I usually make enough for a whole week with only $3.
thats cheap. what's your recipe? :blob_cookie:

Paul_Tromba

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I go for plant based options occasionally and know vegetarians and vegans. With the current trends, it is pretty reasonable for plant based alternatives to reach price parity with meat products. Taste and texture wise, it's a mix bag, with some products ranging from great to mediocre.

It doesn't matter if it's plant or meat based, as long as you get the recommended intake of nutrients, your diet is going to be healthy. As for fast food doesn't matter if it's plant-based it's never going to be healthy. As for the image you posted, there really isn't anything wrong with the ingridients listed for plant-based. I'm not sure where you're getting that nonsense about it leading to higher rates of cancer too

thats cheap. what's your recipe? :blob_cookie:
3 tbs oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cans or 4 fresh tomatoes diced
8 ounces eggplant, rinsed and diced
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb red, yellow, and/or orange bell pepper, stemmed seeded and diced
8 ounces zucchini, diced
8 ounces squash, diced
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Other seasonings to taste.

Put a 5-6 quart pot on the stove at medium-high heat. Cook onions in oil for 5 minutes. Add in garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, salt, pepper, and water. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until eggplant is soft when pierced, roughly 10 minutes. Add rest of the ingredient and simmer covered for another 10 minutes. Serve with side of bread if you want.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Plant based food is a new trend, which is quickly being adopted by fast food and food producers, so what do you think about it? View attachment 15678I personally believe this trend is unnecessary and unhealthy
That is an exaggeration. There's no smoke without fire, and to some extent you are definitely right, but I feel I need to correct one thing.

Meat consists of water, proteins, fat, carbohydrates, and a lot of other things in small amounts. Plant-based food is basically the same, just that the components come from plants, not animals, and need to be processed to look and taste like they do.

I feel like the problem you have with plant-based meat is the exact same problem I have with both plant-based meat and animal-based meat, which is that it's packed with unnecessary things that affect our health negatively. In animal-based food it's mostly antibiotics and steroids fed to the animals that make them grow faster and not catch any diseases.

With that said, I definitely agree that all these plant-based products are filthy expensive and not really healthy.

Last edited:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
many of these plant-based foods are highly processed with the vitamins having to be re-added. Especially that mushroom protein crap. They taste ok so I will eat but I'd rather just make a vegetarian curry than a fake burger, if I want to cut back on meat.
Meat's expensive too so I just use 2/3rd less and make up the difference with grated carrot and lentils.
As for nut or cereal milks, I do like some of them. I'll buy if cheap.
But as someone who was brought up on a veggie diet and had poor health in that time, I don't think it's the key to longevity any more than excessive meat consumption is. My health improved once I left home and added meat back into my diet - I get like one mild cold every couple of years now, as opposed to 5 or 6 every winter - so I think every food has a place in diet, in moderation, and these vegan diets are extreme and not very healthy.