• Existing

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Both

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters

Leti

Are you living or are you existing? What is the difference between living and existing? How do you make someone feel alive? Discuss!

Reactions: CL

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
Living is being able to do stuff that makes you happy or feeling satisfied by the things you accomplish in a day, if not, then it can also be about making your existence more comfortable. Existing is other people being aware you are alive but you're not doing much else other than sleeping, eating, and whatever other basic necessity you complete to move on to the next day. I don't think you can make someone feel alive, similar to the phrase: "I can teach you but I can't learn it for you."

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Existing, for now. I haven't enjoyed much of anything for the last two decades, merely found ways to waste time while I wait to stop existing. Can't really do anything at this point, even simply eating takes almost all of my motivation for the day. About the only high point in my existence is watching mental health professionals freak out and sometimes quit their jobs or also end up depressed as hell from me. Pretty unfortunate, but thus is life/life sucks and then you die, and then death probably sucks too.

Existing is simply survival, living is being able to function enough to interact with life. As to how to help someone live? That is very complex, and varies constantly for a single individual, let alone between individuals. For two people, the same action could help one feel alive and cause the other to lose their sense of life. Even the same person can have similarly extreme reactions depending on current situation.

Malonymous

Existing: before caffeine
Living: after caffeine

How to make someone feel alive:
  1. Caffeine
  2. Shitpost Funpost about the nature of living
  3. ???
  4. Feel alive! (may require more of Step 1.)

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
For me, living is about having an impact on the world. Some people think you need money to make an impact on the world, but you don't. You can focus on the little things:

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
both but much closer to living.
I geuss I have moments of being alive when my brain is thinking

accomplished a lot. pride got to head and on path to failure.

It's not fully living but I do usually have euphoric moments when I feel alive. usually after doing philosophy or studying scientific method or deriving something or writing something. but they are kind of rare. like once a week.

sometimes I just feel just so calm for 10 minutes that just satisfied. like just embodiment of satisfaction

though still I could be living a lot more by going outside or talking to understanding people IRL but that's hard.

the thing which make me proud is well philosophy. mine is somewhat like absurdism but different. also philosophy of scientific method.
and then there is a video about Lagrangian mechanics by up and atom which talks about science being just a model and I found that one.

though realistically I haven't accomplished a lot but I love myself and like the way I think.

most of all I just feel so free. like I have no bounds. like not in a evil way or practical way.

but in a way that I am insanely open minded and skeptical. In a sense that I don't really agree with most lot of things in society or culture so I really demand proof. I tend to keep morality one which makes sense. but I don't really dismiss dumb shit without prove if thing is interesting I will try to get best arguments.
example would be asking why exactly is zoophilia illegal or why do humans as species care about sex and not go full brave new world(without the clones).
like people get uncomfortable and stop thinking but I really think shit through. if it is bad then someone must have done some study on it.
[that was an example I have more interesting shit to do].

see how much I bragged. idk is it narcissism or something nah. that's different. it's just excessive pride and overconfidence which is going to fuck me over

I just feel so free by not caring but I still have some insecurities. though now I think about it wishing for perfect friends isn't that good . you can live happily alone or with one or two.

somehow thinking about ideals scientifically and how brain works. changing your desires and not making anything a unchanging stone helps. like art of not giving a fuck is somewhat helpful but not really.
like I think I have lot of things in my head which I remember and not just compartmilize which makes me happy and also real actual accomplishments. not like get job get car shit. but shit I actually care about which I now know

Last edited:

Michuyu

I'm doing both. Living is when you are actively dealing and conscious with what goes on in your life. Existing is just the fact that you are real and you are not dead. So Unless you're in a coma, you're both living and existing at the same time. Okay, actually, lemme rephrase: Unless you are actively and consciously making life decisions, you are just existing, otherwise, you are both living and existing. >.< That's how I see it anyway.

How to make someone feel alive is to snap them to reality. Feeling alive is often associated with feelings of happiness because it means that you probably are more likely to want to live, but people forget that you don't really know happiness unless you've experienced sadness and vice versa. So, feeling alive is when you feel any emotions very deeply. It's proof that you are aware of your own life and what is happening to you. When you take it a step further and act upon those emotions, that's when you know you're really alive. (Whether those actions are bad or good doesn't matter in the question of living, but it does matter in the question of morals, of course, haha if that makes sense)

That's all I can think of ^^

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
I'm doing both. Living is when you are actively dealing and conscious with what goes on in your life. Existing is just the fact that you are real and you are not dead. So Unless you're in a coma, you're both living and existing at the same time. Okay, actually, lemme rephrase: Unless you are actively and consciously making life decisions, you are just existing, otherwise, you are both living and existing. >.< That's how I see it anyway.

How to make someone feel alive is to snap them to reality. Feeling alive is often associated with feelings of happiness because it means that you probably are more likely to want to live, but people forget that you don't really know happiness unless you've experienced sadness and vice versa. So, feeling alive is when you feel any emotions very deeply. It's proof that you are aware of your own life and what is happening to you. When you take it a step further and act upon those emotions, that's when you know you're really alive. (Whether those actions are bad or good doesn't matter in the question of living, but it does matter in the question of morals, of course, haha if that makes sense)

That's all I can think of ^^
nah I feel most alive in my mind thinking about things and not caring about reality.

Michuyu

nah I feel most alive in my mind thinking about things and not caring about reality.
That's okay too :D feeling alive is very related to emotions, thus the word "feeling". people may be actively and consciously aware of their decision of living in their mind and ignoring reality, maybe because of their overwhelming awareness of their own lives and what is going on in it. They are feeling alive because of their own decision to act on deep emotions sparked by reality, which leads to feeling the most alive in their own mind and ignoring reality. ^^ Life is strange and cool to think about. There are so many perspectives!

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
That's okay too :D feeling alive is very related to emotions, thus the word "feeling". people may be actively and consciously aware of their decision of living in their mind and ignoring reality, maybe because of their overwhelming awareness of their own lives and what is going on in it. They are feeling alive because of their own decision to act on deep emotions sparked by reality, which leads to feeling the most alive in their own mind and ignoring reality. ^^ Life is strange and cool to think about. There are so many perspectives!
I just have a sort of indifference to reality. Like most stuff which happens doesn't really matter. like clothes or look or almost anything.

It's all so inconsequential. Now thinking about questions that's the things I actually care about.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
never mind I am dead inside. though I am still cheerful. it's weird like you are happy and still dead inside.

No time for anything you care about solving problems consume you entirely.

Why even try to know anything.
Just so disappointed by reality everyone and myself.

Impotence to change your circumstances.
Man I should have not cared at all.

Now I get why people live so idealestically.
Just live as if it's a perfect world cause pragmatism isn't going to work anyway.
If nothing will work you might as well live idealestically
Basically if you sacrifice hobbies and what makes you alive for work and start laughing at yourself.
Then you just end up doing addictive shit for substitution. So nothing gets done and you feel depressed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 52929

Personally more existing than living, purely because my routine is the same day in day out everyday, and the lack of occasional deviations to it feels like im merely doing things on autopilot mode, and it can get very disillusioning very quickly. I dont think Ive really truly lived for quite a while.

someguysomeone

One of the dime a dozen undead
I am just too fickle. I am mostly dead but sometimes i get 60% alive 40% dead. Like something is still biting at me sometimes i become fully alive and enjoy life.

Last edited: